A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,786
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean Guest Bedroom!  (Read 1385 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 06, 2006 03:31:31 PM »

So. I finally have a guest bedroom and I plan to make it fabulous. I have in my possession a Cpt Jack comforter and pillows, too many PotC action figures and posters and a big old gaudy black bed canopy.

Also in this room is a door with stairs leading to an attic cubby; provided all the crap I have in storage doesn't take up too much room [and provided that said attic cubby isn't a lair for all things creepy and eight-legged] I'd like to make this into a little Pirates Cove of sorts, with pillows and hangy lights and other neatness. Yes, I am 23 years old and still like to make little secret hide-aways in my house. Oh well.

Things to consider: curtains, wallpaper, rugs, hanging decor, any other ideas you might have. Currently the room has no electrical outlets [yeah, isn't that delightful?] but I might be able to get some put in. I don't want to make it TOO cheesy, so apart from the obvious Cpt Jack shrine of a bed and the action figures, it'd be need to have the rest of the stuff just be piratey in general.

OH, and from having an aunt in New Orleans, I have a CRAP-TON of mardi gras beads. Any ideas involving those are welcome!

And yes, I'm totally amused at the fact that when the parents come to visit, they have to stay in this bedroom.

Signatures are for sissies.

Love all. Live free

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 05:14:16 PM »

god, i love pirates, too

heres some of my ideas:

Nautical themed stuff

a "treasure chest" that you can sore linnens or maybe in place of a dresser, since guests shouldnt need a whole dresser anyways

fishing nets along the walls

make a canopy out of fishing net to put stuffed animals and things on

I have a big pirate flag, that sounds like a mist for you room

jacksparrow wears a red bandana, so maybe make the room borwns and reds

put jewls aroud a wide framed mirror = pirate booty

model ships or ship in a bottle type stuff on shelvs or dresser tops

darker & neutral tones for the rugs and curtins and such i think

hope thats a good start
i wished i could get away with something like this, but i dont think my boyfriend would like to sleep in jack sparrow sheets . . hehe Smiley

good look
be sure to show me how it turns out

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 10:55:09 PM »

Thank you for the ideas, m'dear! I love the mirror suggestion, and the bit about the red. I was thinking heavy red or black velvet drapes for the window dressings.

i wished i could get away with something like this, but i dont think my boyfriend would like to sleep in jack sparrow sheets . . hehe Smiley

And THAT my friend is precisely why it's going to be a guest bedroom!  Wink

Signatures are for sissies.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006 03:55:34 PM »

The black canopy could be used as a net. You can possibly cut it up, and put some random starfish and some other net-worthy things.

this room sounds rad. make sure you post picture of it!

maybe on the door, you could beat it up (hit it with chains (or somethig) to make it look older) and put an old sign on the door saying
-pirates - YE BE WARNED
- pirates only

or something along those lines.

ooh. and some pirate skeletons hanging from the ceilings would probably scare your parents senseless, but would be a cool effect.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006 05:44:04 PM »

That little hidey-hole cove sounds like the coolest idea ever. I'm envisioning this dark little space with christmas lights tangled in thick, ropey nets hanging all around. Pirates booty wasn't always silver and gold (mate), silks and brocade fabrics were a worthy steal as well (they could be sold for a metric assload of cash), an old chest with fancy fineries (and mardi gras beads!) poking out would look nice too.

Thick, dirty canvas strung up with rope would make neat curtains. Like someone just yanked the sails off a ship and hung them on the wall.

I am a total pirate junkie. One of my favorite things to do is make dirty, ancient looking treasure maps. If you want tips on how to whip one up, or want me to whip one up for you, pm me!

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006 10:10:45 PM »

you really really should hang up some crossed swords! (like Elizabeth pulled down off her wall towards the beginning). Also, what about one of those cheap chests they sell at target? Ive had mine for 2 years, and its gotten nicely beat up and aged looking (or just do ALL your crafts on it for 2 months...same aged effect. their like..$25, and come in a nice classic black (and a horrific pink). your guests can use it for storage, and you could glue the mardigras beads along the edge that opens, so that it looks like swag is spilling out of it. Also, you can usually get cool, beat up looking candle holders at almost any garage sale this time of year. Oh! and they sell this scrapbooking paper that looks like old world maps (with a big fancy compas rose and such). You could beat them up a bit, and burn the edges, and put them up on the wall for art.

And don't neglect the little things! pretty colored thick glass bottles, a well placed dagger shaped letter opener, maybe one of those quill and ink sets? they sell those cheap right after the June wedding season is over. Would a plastic human skull qualify as "too cheesy?" it could wear a bandana, pirate hat, eyepatch (my favorite) or more swag.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006 12:42:03 PM »

here's an idea...  Instead of normal curtains use oversides pirate flags (or just flags that fit the window in general.  I hope this helps!!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006 08:48:49 PM »

Omg...if it wouldnt be too nosy...when you finish with the room, could you post some pictures??? PLEASE

I too am strange and unusual...
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 08:51:59 AM »

I think you need a map on the wall or door somewhere. And the treasure chest idea that a couple of people already said. Hmm... I'm thinking random driftwood and shells but maybe that's more beach-y than pirate-y    Wink

My parents are letting me decorate the room at the end of our garage, so I may be stealing some of these ideas   Grin

EDIT: this would be quite cool!:   http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=106096.0
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006 09:09:24 AM by mwahahahaha » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006 06:57:31 PM »

I picked up a really cool pirate-esque chest at AC Moore today.  It has a rounded top and it just looks so awesome.  It was only $14.  I need to stain it and dirty it up a bit, but we have a movie themed basement and it's like a "movie prop" but with storage ability!!

PM me for Personal Swaps
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Bloody Worms Treats
Removing Turkey from a Deep Fryer
Placing Turkey Into a Deep Fryer
Removing Turkey from an Oil Free Fryer
Preparing a Turkey for Deep Frying
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...