A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitpicks Main Line?  (Read 755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fozziebear54
« on: June 06, 2006 03:15:49 PM »

Has anyone here used or heard things about Knitpicks Main Line? I'm considering using it for a sweater, since I'm afraid that an all-wool yarn might be too warm for me (I overheat easily). Any opinions you have about the yarn would be most welcome to hear. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bewitchin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 07:44:57 PM »

I just used that yarn for SnB HH fat bottomed bag.  I love it as a cotton/merino mix and it would be gorgeous for a sweater!  It's very and nice to work with.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006 07:47:22 PM by Bewitchin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaidelMaid
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006 04:25:39 AM »

I'm making Knitty's "T Twist Tee" with this yarn right now and I like it. I googled the yarn before I bought it and read other positive reviews of it which I'm having trouble finding to share here. I don't have that much experience knitting with cotton to compare it to, but so far this yarn looks and feels great. The color I picked is the reddish "cake" one, which is pretty much burgandy in person. Basically what I expected.
Pattern: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTttwist.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006 01:26:37 PM »

Thanks, you two. I'll try doing a Google search for the yarn, too. I'll eventually have a finished object post to share. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MedNewbie
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006 02:28:37 PM »

an alternative to main line would be brown sheep cotton fleece, which is 80% cotton 20% wool and is wonderful - and cheaper.  Cotton fleece is 8.00 for 200 yards on yarn.com (and on ebay you can actually get it for less) and main line is 3.29 for only 82 yards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MaidelMaid
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006 02:45:15 PM »

Ah yes, but I believe brown sheep cotton fleece is a smaller gauge...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006 03:24:41 PM »

Actually, if you compare the Cotton Fleece with Main Line in a dollars per yard sort of way, you find that Cotton Fleece is 4 cents per yard, even, and Main Line is only more expensive by one ten thousandth of a dollar. So they're approximately the same price.

It's nice to know a decent and cheap cotton/wool blend exists in a double knit weight, though. Thanks, MedNewbie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aunt Suzi
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006 09:23:18 AM »

I bought some in the lavender color but haven't used it yet.  It feels like it will be really nice to knit with--lighter weight (I mean in terms of weight in the hands, rather than warmth) than 100% cotton, very soft.

However, I bought it for a sweater for my sister that we wanted to be a little dressy--and the description for main line says it's "dressier."  Not really.  I would say it's great for a casual sweater,  but not dressy.  So we bought something else.

So now I have a wonderful pile of lavender main line and wondering what to make with it.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quincy134
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006 05:54:54 PM »

I'm using it right now, in the Red Velvet Cake color (mentioned by MaidelMaid above).  I like the feel of it, and it's easy to work with, but it fuzzes up and pills a lot.  I was wearing a black t-shirt while I was knitting it, and I came away with tons of red fuzz on it.  Just FYI. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add Detail to Graffiti Art
How to Add Fill to Graffiti Art
How to Sketch Graffiti Art
How to Start Graffiti Project
How to Draw Graffiti Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...