A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you make a stencil of a face?  (Read 1660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitty1256
« on: June 06, 2006 02:55:00 PM »

Im probably going to get yelled at for posting this (cause there are probably already posts about is), but how the heck do you make a stencil of a face?  Anyone just have a pic of one of their stencils that i could see?  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

espressoGO
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 07:38:09 PM »

i found the easiest way, and best looking way is to use this one program called Inkscape (its free www.inkscape.org) i just discovered...i don't know if you're computer/graphic savvy but a tool pops up if you hold down Shift+Alt+B and you can get a lot of great results from that tool.  You can get an outline or profile (i don't know what its called lol) in plain black and white or you can get it in multiple colors.  Ya know what?  I'll just show you:

For the color one just make a stencil with multiple layers.  You could use a program like the Gimp to separate the multiple colors.  Hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trisarahtop
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006 08:48:13 PM »

Stencilry has some tutorials, that can show how to make the stencil and then how to stencil it. It used to have one big tutorial using a picture of a face, I think, but they got rid of it. I don't think they're the best tutorials, especially to learn on, because frankly they're not written very well. But if you kind of know what you're doing and just have a few questions, it might be able to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
Amsvartnir
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006 02:47:38 AM »

espressoGO, I'd appreciate if you could help me a bit.

I downloaded Inkscape, and I really like that tool you can make stencils with. Thanks for telling about it! I was just wondering if there is a possibility to paste images straight from a website by first copying those to clipboard, like in Photoshop for example. Because it doesn't seem to work, it only gives a message that "nothing on the clipboard", even though there is. Paste works only if I copy images that I have open in Inkscape. It would be much easier if you didn't have to save all images on your computer before managing to open those in that program.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

espressoGO
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006 07:14:21 AM »

I know what you mean and i definitely agree.  But I just found this online referring to it:  "Except for text, copying works via an internal clipboard (a place where a description of one or more objects are stored temporarily in memory). Thus it is not possible to paste non-text objects between different instances of Inkscape or Inkscape and an external program. It is possible to paste between different drawings if they were opened via the same Inkscape process."  So there's a separate clipboard used in Inkscape.  I don't know if you ever used The Gimp, but that is the same way.  But The Gimp has an option to copy to the actual clipboard, not just it's internal clipboard.  And unfortunately, Inkscape doesn't have that.  What I do is save images to the desktop, do what i want with them, then delete them as soon as i finish.  Also, if you're taking images straight from a website, you can save them to your computer instead of copying them just as easily.  Just right click them and it should say something like "Save Image As..." and open that.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amsvartnir
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006 01:35:24 PM »

Ok, so it's not even possible. But I think I can live with it, since that tool makes so great stencils. Smiley And thanks for answering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookelynn_007
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006 01:54:51 PM »

its not letting me download the stencil thing.. help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
espressoGO
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006 04:02:46 PM »

brookelynn_007 try clicking this (if your computer is running Windows, which I'm just assuming it is) then clicking the long link at the top (sorry if you already tried this):
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/inkscape/Inkscape-0.43-2.win32.exe?use_mirror=superb-east
or this:
http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=15278

If you're not running Windows or that doesn't work, let me know Smiley

And Amsvartnir...i just found this like a second ago.  If you right-click the photo you want to use in Inkscape, in the pop-up thing, it says "inkscape" and it will automatically open it for you.  You don't have to import or open it from inside the program.  Saves some time and energy....thought you'd like to know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookelynn_007
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006 08:48:43 AM »

oOo thanks...  it finally let me download the program but sad loser me has no idea how to use it.  omg i feel so dumb... will yall give me a step by step on this thing..?! lol SORRY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
espressoGO
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006 07:38:10 PM »

ok this is going to be brief since i'm falling asleep and hopefully it will be coherent, but i don't want to leave you hanging any longer.
If you go to Help in the Inkscape menu, try the Basic tutorial and that will help you get started and understand the program functions.
If you're using Inkscape purely for stencils, here's what to do.
1. Find any picture you want to use to make a stencil and save it to your computer.
2. Right click that file and click "Inkscape" in the menu that comes up.
3. Make sure your picture is selected and hold down the keys Shift+Alt+B
4. In the box that pops up, mess around with the different options (you shouldn't have to change the numbers too much) and you can get a bunch of different effects.  By the way, if you undo by holding Ctrl+Z, it sometimes deselects the picture, so just re-click it and go back to the box thing.
5. Once you've gotten the look you wanted...you probably want to print it.  I've never printed from inside the program.  I suppose it works fine, but I do it a bit differently.  Plus with my way, you can add text or more stuff with a more familiar program.  Okay, so...make sure the view (in the bottom left hand corner) is set to 100% and hit the "Prt Sc" or "Print Screen" button on the keyboard and paste into The Gimp (or a simple program like MS Paint will do Smiley)
6. Cut out the stuff that is not the stencil and add anything else you want.  Finally, you're done!  And you can print it out and do all the normal stenciling steps.
Hopefully that helped!  Let me know  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Feather Hair Extensions and Accessories
Options For Preventing Hair Loss
Beauty Stopwatch: Haircare
The Dangers of Brazilian Hair Blowouts
At Home Remedy for a Flaky Scalp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...