A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the melted bead bowl  (Read 235408 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_beads , melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2006 12:35:15 PM »

haha well my mom is extremely sensitive.. we have to put on perfume on the deck it bothers her so much so i'm guess that's not going to be on my list of projects to accomplish.

it's an absolutely wonderful idea though Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 23, 2006 01:12:00 PM »

haha well my mom is extremely sensitive.. we have to put on perfume on the deck it bothers her so much so i'm guess that's not going to be on my list of projects to accomplish.

it's an absolutely wonderful idea though Cheesy

I am SUPER smell sensative too.  I'm talking daily chronic migraine smell sensative and if I keep the exhaust fan going on high and don't open the oven door it is not too bad. There is a smell but it's tolerable and goes away pretty quickly.  If you live some place that is not 100 degrees with 97% humidity and you can open the windows you can do that too.

Now yesterday when my darling husband kept taking his bead experiment in and out of the oven well....the smell got pretty bad. But that was an extreme example.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owalkerjillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 23, 2006 01:16:02 PM »

hmm.. maybe i'll try it some morning while she's at work and maybe the smell will go away before she comes home?? we're see.

thanks though PinkyK Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 23, 2006 03:52:57 PM »

I can't believe how addictive this has become, I have some in the oven again right now.... I check this thread like 5 or more times a day!!  How do you keep your beads from rolling before putting them in the oven PinkyK? I don't know if anyone has asked you that yet.. Cheesy

I posed way back that the smell isn't that bad and usuing a suck fan really keeps it just about smell free. And that the smell goes away quickly too, I thought I would be busted in trouble from my husband from a smell because the front part of our home is a Law Office and he doesn't let me cook ANYTHING in the oven!! He didn't even know I had put anything in there... nor did he know how I made the bead bowls.. Heheh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2006 03:56:57 PM »

Ahh, I'm using the fauceted beads from wal-mart... I've not tried pony beads and don't know how those would smell.. But I did buy some today, the fauceted beads were sold out.... hmmmmm I wonder why??? Some craftsters around here might be making bead bowl thingys!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 23, 2006 05:08:11 PM »

whooooa! has anyone seen their beads smokin' before taking them out?? I just made a candy dish... I've never made my beads go flat till they are all one smooth moldable thingy.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/uploads/63237/9ef2.jpg

OMG I don't know if you have posted yet Pinky but I just saw what you uploaded on the pictures!! That is the neatest vase I've ever seeeeeen! I'm going to go look for your post now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013 07:11:30 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2006 05:11:34 PM »

Sorry I posted the name of the wrong person... it was kappy that made that neato vase! Tongue But i think you two are married?  I was close..
Okay I will try not to post again after this one for a while.    Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2006 05:34:50 PM »

WHOA!!

Ya I saw the beads smoke but that was only after I put them in for a second go. Maybe there is a point at which they get too hot?

To put them in the oven I just move really slowly! If something moves then I just put it back really quickly before I push it all the way into the oven. But, if you notice I'm not very precise when it comes to bead placement.  I just sort of throw them all together to make colors blend. Now Kappy, he's careful!

The smell is not nice but it does go away.  Kappy (My crafty husband) made that vase and we left to do a couple of errands, gone about an hour, and now that we are home there is just a slight slight hint of smell lingering in the air. But that vase is not your typical project, he took that in and out of the oven several times so it had much more smell than a typical bead melting project. But to be careful we are going to try to not melt anything more tonight and opened the kitchen window.  It's still 90 degrees here! UGH!

I think I got everything.....

Post when you finish!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

owalkerjillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2006 05:52:09 PM »

so i have caved in.

and this project is beeing scheduled for the next time i have an hour or so to my self in my house.

welcome back to craftster maddness walker, welcome back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kappy

Shaper of glass and other mediums...

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2006 05:57:19 PM »

Thanks for the kind words on the vase. I keep trying to think of ways to improve the bead melting process.

As for the smoke, I think that the beads may vaporize just a little, at those temperatures. And that contributes to the smell. I did the vase at 425 degrees, and there was more smoke than when I have melted beads at 400 degrees. It's probably a trade-off, lower temperature, longer melting time, less smoke, and vapor.

As for keeping the beads all nice and neat. If you use a pan with a rim, like a cake pan, the beads stay in place nicely. The advantage to doing this is you can easily create pictures, like Starry Night and the Seminole Head. The disadvantage is that its difficult to put a layer of foil down to protect your pans, and make the foil smooth enough so that it doesn't get caught up between melted beads.

If you use a cookies sheet, you can line it with foil a lot easier, but it becomes more difficult to make a picture and keep the beads from rolling around. I have found that using the cookie sheet and pony beads, if you place them hole up (pain in the butt), it's easier to arrange them and keep them in place.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out PinkyK's Etsy Shop AllenKaperakDesigns

http://www.AllenKaperakDesigns.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pillow and Blanket Set For the Car
Making Cards From Sandpaper
Three Tips for Embroidering Your Own Monograms
How to Make a Candy Box
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make a Felted Heart Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...