A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the melted bead bowl  (Read 244266 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenna rose
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006 02:48:16 AM »

How strong are the bowls? Are they turning out to be something you can USE or is it mainly just decoration?

Also, exactly what kind of beads are those? I'm extremely new to the Wide Wonderful World of Beads.  Do you think Hobby Lobby would have them?  I don't shop at Wal-mart.

I'm wondering if this would work with buttons.

Curious about the fumes/toxicity of this kind of thing, as well.

All the bowls I've seen on here are really just beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiffie1023
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006 06:40:41 AM »

How strong are the bowls? Are they turning out to be something you can USE or is it mainly just decoration?

Also, exactly what kind of beads are those? I'm extremely new to the Wide Wonderful World of Beads.  Do you think Hobby Lobby would have them?  I don't shop at Wal-mart.

I'm wondering if this would work with buttons.

Curious about the fumes/toxicity of this kind of thing, as well.

All the bowls I've seen on here are really just beautiful!!

the bowls can be strong but they can also be very brittle. it depends on how long you bake them and how well they fuse together.  i think these could be practical, depending on how long they're melted.  i made one that fused so well there are no holes between the beads, so it could be used for something i think.  the problem is that they're not very big, but i think you could make them whatever size you need.  they would work well as a candy dish or something, but right now mine are just decoration.

i don't know about the toxicity, but i do know that it smells weird, but only while they are baking.  the smell goes away really quickly once you pull them out of the oven.

the beads i've been using are just cheapo plastic, and are called multi faceted pony beads i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps are my favorite

wists! http://www.wists.com/tiffie1023
dreadful penny
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2006 06:59:52 AM »

OO OO OO!!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
This makes me wiggle in my chair!!!
They are all so wonderful. I've been hoarding about 2lbs of GITD pony beads for years waiting for the right thing to do with them...
This is it!
Thank you for this awesome idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2006 08:24:00 AM »

That is wicked cool, and I would try it if I weren't pregnant. I'm worried about the fumes.

I had a crazy thought, though...

I wonder what would happen if you took mardi-gras bead strands, cut them apart on one end and arranged them into spirals up the side of the metal bowl and melted them into bowls? If that would work, it would be a great way to re-use the throw beads that end up at the bottom of the jewelry box, doing nothin' but taking up space. Also, if this would work, most thrift shops have a bag or two of these beads languishing on a shelf because no on wants them, and they could be had for cheap.

I wonder, though, what would happen with the metallic throw beads. I know that they usually are black plastic on the inside, so maybe some of that would show through once they melt. It could either look really cool (like black dichroic glass?) or really ugly. Also, I would not try this in a bowl you care about, in case the metallic stuff sticks to the sides of it. Darn, I wish I could try this! Cheesy

Everyone's bowls are lovely---such fun!

--Lark
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.tiaraly.
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2006 09:48:35 AM »

I'm making one of these! I think I'll make mine into a plate instead though....I'm still a bit confused about how to keep the sides up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 09:54:18 AM by .tiaraly. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fallin_dreams
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2006 11:00:01 AM »

That is wicked cool, and I would try it if I weren't pregnant. I'm worried about the fumes.

I had a crazy thought, though...

I wonder what would happen if you took mardi-gras bead strands, cut them apart on one end and arranged them into spirals up the side of the metal bowl and melted them into bowls? If that would work, it would be a great way to re-use the throw beads that end up at the bottom of the jewelry box, doing nothin' but taking up space. Also, if this would work, most thrift shops have a bag or two of these beads languishing on a shelf because no on wants them, and they could be had for cheap.

I've been peeping in on this thread thinking exactly this! haha...

I have a trash bag (yes a trash bag!) full of mardi-gras beaded necklaces. Some of them were cool and I used them to decorate my room at my dads house but in my closet there, still lies a bag full of the common over thrown beads. Hmm... if I could find someone to let me use their oven I may be able to answer this for you  Wink

If I get a chance I will - promise!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2006 12:30:26 PM »

aparently the chemicals in the mardi gras beads are really really nasty, like worse than regular beads.

i don't know for sure, just that we use them for events sometimes, and one of the members of my union pointed out that they're supposedly made by child labour in horrible working conditions and that they're really toxic to the children making them.

you'd have to do some reasearch, because this is just what i hear, but it might be worth looking into before you start melting a ton of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
charmcity
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2006 03:17:49 PM »

I recall seeing something on TV ("That's Clever", maybe) where mardi gras beads were used.  I think the guy made lampshades with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaughingLark
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2006 04:13:28 PM »

I recall seeing something on TV ("That's Clever", maybe) where mardi gras beads were used.  I think the guy made lampshades with them.

Is this it?

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_home_accessories/article/0,1789,HGTV_3255_3280447,00.html

I see that he is using only the clear ones, not the metallic coated ones.

Now that I think of it, a few times I have opened up a bag of plastic craft beads that had the "aurora borealis" coating on them, and they really had a strong chemical odor. I wonder if the metallic beads are also coated with something nasty. Might be better not to try melting those.

--Lark
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2006 04:29:21 PM »

I made mine in muffin pan, I think a plate would be a great idea too ^.^  I can't wait to try different shapes and sizes..  Cheesy I think I know what i am going to be doing around xmas time hehe!

I just finished it a few mins ago... I made it to go with my blue bathroom to put my ring in when I wash my face and a greenish one for my bed room night stand.

also about the smell, it is very subtle, I used cheap plastic beads from wal-mart too.

oooo also... I didn't think about doing this or know if it can be done... But while the beads are still melting can you shape to bottom with an object to fill the bottom if you couldn't get the beads to close us all the holes?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 04:33:30 PM by Camellia_Ruth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Futuristic, Aerodynamic Eyeliner at the Herve Leger FW 2014 Show
Mom.Me Makeover: Crystal
Mom.Me Makeover: Angela
Best Drugstore Concealers
How to Apply Individual False Eyelashes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...