A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the melted bead bowl  (Read 243612 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #340 on: December 01, 2006 01:18:19 PM »

Why couldn't I have found this topic BEFORE I became pregnant? I put away my resin and resigned myself to just the sewing machine and stenciling til Bun's born.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artisticnightmare
« Reply #341 on: December 01, 2006 05:20:31 PM »

I am making these as I write this, the first batch is out of the oven...now for some questions.

What is the best method to smoothing down the sharp peaks? (I don't have a Dremel) Are your bowls shiny on both sides?  Mine are on top but the bottom is dull.  If I put foil in the mold I am using will the bottom come out shiny?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006 05:23:11 PM by artisticnightmare » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artisticnightmare
« Reply #342 on: December 01, 2006 07:53:17 PM »

First bowl....edges too sharp and not as shallow as I'd like it to be. 
Second bowl...just a mess.  Not sure what went wrong, just doesn't look like what I thought it would.
Third bowl, tried different things to get it to not have the sharp edges.  Finally tried the upside down soda can method- ending result?  Can fell over when I left the room and I am now, hour later, still attempting to melt the plastic off the rack.  It's a big hunk and some little bits so I figure once I get the main piece off I will take it outside let the rack sit in the snow, then pick the rest off.  Ah well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #343 on: December 01, 2006 08:00:56 PM »

First bowl....edges too sharp and not as shallow as I'd like it to be. 
Second bowl...just a mess.  Not sure what went wrong, just doesn't look like what I thought it would.
Third bowl, tried different things to get it to not have the sharp edges.  Finally tried the upside down soda can method- ending result?  Can fell over when I left the room and I am now, hour later, still attempting to melt the plastic off the rack.  It's a big hunk and some little bits so I figure once I get the main piece off I will take it outside let the rack sit in the snow, then pick the rest off.  Ah well.

Oh, I'm sorry!  We all have a story or 2 about disasters.  Melting Beads is like a full contact sport! 
In advance next time, I'd line your oven racks with foil (and anything else the beads might touch), just in case.
For the no sharp edges, I melt mine in a flat pan (not in a bowl) and then, after it has melted completely, THEN back in again on top of an upside down bowl.
When on the can (for vases), sit in front of the oven and watch it constantly...mine only take 2-5 minutes to fall over the can....I put my can onto a foil lined baking sheet, onto foil lined oven racks...because I hate to clean, and know I can't cook with melted beads on the oven!
Also, with HEAVY potholders, or metal tools (not to be used on food), you can QUICKLY manipulate the beads, 1st thing out of the oven, shmushing the points down just as they come out of the oven.
Careful, this is where people get burnt though!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006 08:02:32 PM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

slb2724
« Reply #344 on: December 02, 2006 07:47:03 AM »

what i did was put a tinfoil covered cookie sheet under the can, and even the bw i was making. its alot easier to pull the bowl out without being concerned of touching the meletd beads
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
yarncookie
« Reply #345 on: December 02, 2006 07:58:10 AM »

Has anyone tried layering the beads between two bowls (the top one would have to be light) while they are melting in the oven? It seems that the bumpy texture could get in the way and things could get caught in there. Don't get me wrong, it feels really cool and unique, but for storing smaller things, it would be good to have a smooth variation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
artisticnightmare
« Reply #346 on: December 02, 2006 08:59:56 AM »

I tried to flatten the spikes down right after I took it out of the oven, but it just wasn't working.  I'll give it another go sometime with a cookie sheet and then on top of a bowl to see what happens.  The fumes on this project really bothered me even though I had the fan on high and the door open here and there.  I managed to salvage the bowl that fell on the rack, it's just a big blob now with some foil stuck in it.  Undecided  I'm going to try and mess around with it sometime and see what I get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarncookie
« Reply #347 on: December 02, 2006 09:33:05 AM »

artisticnightmare, I find that when beads come in contact with a metal surface (like the bowl you're using) they turn dull, but if you use a glass surface, they stay shiny. As for te sharp edges, I use a lighter to smooth em out (or you can use a blow torch if you're like Kappy haha) just make sure you don't burn it for too long or the edges will discolor. Definately burn them tho, i gave myself a huge cut on my thumb from a medallion I made.  Tongue Hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
slb2724
« Reply #348 on: December 02, 2006 12:14:59 PM »

artisticnightmare, I find that when beads come in contact with a metal surface (like the bowl you're using) they turn dull, but if you use a glass surface, they stay shiny. As for te sharp edges, I use a lighter to smooth em out (or you can use a blow torch if you're like Kappy haha) just make sure you don't burn it for too long or the edges will discolor. Definately burn them tho, i gave myself a huge cut on my thumb from a medallion I made.  Tongue Hope this helps!

i sued a regular disposible nailfile, then i did a bic lighter on it...turned out perfectly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
yarncookie
« Reply #349 on: December 02, 2006 04:48:10 PM »

nail file... good thinking! haha I just found out my dad has a blo torch + my beads in the star cookie cutter are in the oven right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Look of Michael Kors Fall 2013
The Look of Anna Sui Fall 2013
Model Habits: Michael Kors Fall 2013
The Best At-Home Facial to Revive Tired Looking Skin
Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...