A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the melted bead bowl  (Read 248534 times)
Tags for this thread: melted_bead  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty_cool
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006 03:24:31 PM »

that is so cool!

I have loads of pony beads, so when I have time, I willl make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jonnamarco

Shave us Messiah!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006 07:52:11 PM »

Dude!  This is so awesome.. I am so excited about the idea of just melting random plastic stuff.  I would think that the plastic would burn.  But it doesn't seem your stuff burnt.  So excited.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megadoomer
Keeper of the Gems

Hi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006 09:31:00 AM »

So yesterday, while at work, I saw your project. Guess what the first thing I did once I was off work was? Yep, headed out to good ol' wal-mart and bought the beads. They were only like $2 for about 450 beads. So anyways, here is the result!

The pink/purple one is about 10" across while the rest are small ones, about 3-4" across. I used glass bowls because I had a better variety of shapes, they took about 20 minutes.

Thanks for sharing this project. It was so fun to experiment with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and the weird behavior award goes to...
tiffie1023
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006 12:34:09 PM »

hell yeah! those are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps are my favorite

wists! http://www.wists.com/tiffie1023
jonnamarco

Shave us Messiah!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006 07:26:28 PM »

Um, just tried this and the smell.... is toxic.  So bad.  Just me?  Do you all live in houses or apartments?  I live in small 1 bedroom apartment.  No where to got to escape the smell............
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apg
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006 08:48:00 PM »

They are all great  Grin I love the big one. Its my Bday next week. i would want it as a gift.  Wink Do the bowls get stuck on to the metal?  Undecided I think I will try it but my mother-in-law wont be happy if she sees remnants of plastic in her utensils or the smell of it in her oven. Tell me whatever happened.

jonnamarco, Is that the smell of melted plastic?? So u cant prolly use these bead bowls for eating nuts and other purposes. Just to keep in ur drawing rooms as decorations.How did u get rid of the smell finally?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006 07:24:56 AM »

Oh, damn, these are soooo awesome!! I need to buy a bunch of these beads asap!!!

Megadoomer How did you get the points on the edges??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Camellia_Ruth
Hypnotised

Fuelling obsession that borders psychosis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006 12:58:52 PM »

This is soooooo Neat.... I love the colors of your bowls Meg they are very pretty.

I have a HUGE suck fan in my house so I can probably makes these all night while I am alone this weekend. JoY Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came in from the darkness and held the door open wide
You stood there like a vision before my unbelieving eyes
I believe in what I see and also what I hear
But did the night play tricks on me or were you really there.
jonnamarco

Shave us Messiah!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006 01:15:46 PM »

jonnamarco, Is that the smell of melted plastic?? So u cant prolly use these bead bowls for eating nuts and other purposes. Just to keep in ur drawing rooms as decorations.How did u get rid of the smell finally?

Yeah, it was the smell of melting plastic - I guess.  I guess I have never smelled that smell before.  Anyway, it went away about 10 minutes after I took them out of the oven.  I used a muffin pan, so I could try this whole thing out on a small scale.  Anyway, I think I took them out too early cause they fell apart.  I'll try again though.  I still think they are awesome - even if suck at making them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiffie1023
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006 09:08:05 PM »

so i'm still playing with this idea, and i've discovered totally by accident that the longer you leave the beads in the oven, the less lattice like they are.  i have a bowl i made with the 11 mm beads and you can't tell they were ever seperate.  they all fused together into a very solid and not so brittle mass, so expeiriment! also i discovered that the cooking time is different for different metal bowls.

the points on the top of the bowl (be careful they're sharp!) come from the beads sinking down the sides of the bowl as they melt.

if your bowl fall apart, you didn't leave it in long enough.

i've also discovered that plastic like glass sort of expands and constricts with heat, so i've had no problem with anything sticking to my metal bowls.  once the plastic cools, you can just turn the bowl upside down and the beads should just fall out.  if you are having a little trouble, it's possible that the beads haven't cooled enough, so if dunk the whole gig in cool water, it should pop out easily.

i've been making quite a few of these since i made the first orginal post, so if anyone has any other questions, let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps are my favorite

wists! http://www.wists.com/tiffie1023
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Lucario from Pokémon
How to Draw Lord Nibbler Futurama
How to Draw Lola
How to Draw Lin Chung
How to Draw Leonardo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...