A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do YOU do with your scraps?  (Read 8437 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zOmbiE_cUpcAkeS
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008 04:01:10 PM »

I use scraps to make small pouches, coasters, quilt squares, cat toys.  You can use them to make small nests & beds for wildlife conservation groups.  They use them for their rescue birds and small animals.  They are always grateful to get them.  I used to have some sites for that but I lost all my favorites. Sad

Thats a cool idea. I never thought of that. If you ever find the sites you should post them. I seen a tute for a patchwork dog bed. Once I get enough scraps i might do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008 04:47:00 AM »

[quote author=lylacfey link=topic=281531.msg3190757#msg3190757 date=122865640
Thats a cool idea. I never thought of that. If you ever find the sites you should post them. I seen a tute for a patchwork dog bed. Once I get enough scraps i might do that.

I found them.  Took some digging.  Do call your local wildlife rescue organizations because they have different needs & will tell them what you need. 

These are mainly crochet but can be modified for fabric:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/nest.html

http://www.crochetkitten.com/cuddlesforkitties.html

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cat-beds.html

No kill shelters need blankets & quilts so much for furbabies.  They are always grateful to get them.

Wildlife rescue groups are always looking for burping cloths when feeding abandoned babies. 

They love to get any type of padded type small blankets so they can hold wildlife in their arms securely & protect themselves at the same time.

My Mom rescues birds & I rescue foxes, skunks, raccoons, etc.. We are always wrapping them in blankets so they won't claw us.  The cocoon of the blanket makes them feel safe. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
zOmbiE_cUpcAkeS
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008 06:55:06 AM »

That is so awesome! I'm def. gonna be looking into that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nylaskye
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008 09:13:23 AM »

OMIGOD I'm glad I ran into this thread.  I am a self professed scrappie!  I have tons of fabric but hate throwing away scraps unless thy are really tiny.  I use my scraps to make MANY things.  Covered, buttons, patchwork anything, applique, deco jeans, you name it!  Here are a few examples of what I accomplish with scraps!

The buttons on this shirt were covered in scrap.

The letters and strips on these pillows

The pants

And even cute embellishments like yo-yos or fabric flowers

And sooooo many other things.  Hey, it makes you look at what may seem like annoying useless pieces of fabric in a different light huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

riario
:*

expecting our first!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008 09:22:43 AM »

i make paper pieced quilt blocks which someday i will make into a quilt  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008 09:43:20 AM »

Pieces that are too small to really do much with get snipped into confetti and saved for stuffing. Anything of a reasonable size (like as big as an index card or larger) goes back in the stash for future projects. Waste not want not!
this is a wonderful idea! And I bet it would be a great way to occupy little ones. Smiley Not little little though obviously! I'm going to have to make a bag for scrap fabric stuffing!

My scraps almost all get saved unless they are tiny. But now I know what to do with those. i've cut them into 2 inch squares to make poppet patchwork skirts, and barbie clothing.

Bigger scraps get saved for  quilting(I have yet to try but I plan to one day), doll clothing, and toys for the kitties and ferrets.
anything 1/4 of a yard or slightly larger goes on the top shelf of my fabric shelf.
anything 12 yard or slightly larger goes on the next shelf on one side and the 1 yard increments go on the other side.
3rd shelf is for larger than 1 yard cuts (usually 2-5 yards)
and bottom shelf is for my denim to be cut up stash. that's on the bottom becasue the kitties like to sleep on it and I don't want them in my other fabric.

Nylaskye- I love the jeans you made for your little one. Though to me those are some giant scraps! lol. I want to do that to a pair of mine now! (I'm 22 not to old for something like that right?)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008 09:44:30 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nylaskye
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008 11:15:32 AM »

Nylaskye- I love the jeans you made for your little one. Though to me those are some giant scraps! lol. I want to do that to a pair of mine now! (I'm 22 not to old for something like that right?)[/quote]

Thanks!  And you are not at all too old for those jeans!  Now if I see an old lady in her late 60's or something sportin them then that's another issue!

The great thing about these jeans is nothing has to be perfectly cut.  Each pair is unique and you can add lots of stuff you love.  Lace, ribbon, trims, fabric you name it!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008 11:15:58 AM »

I really love the the name pillows. They are so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008 01:27:04 PM »

Nylaskye- I love the jeans you made for your little one. Though to me those are some giant scraps! lol. I want to do that to a pair of mine now! (I'm 22 not to old for something like that right?)

Thanks!  And you are not at all too old for those jeans!  Now if I see an old lady in her late 60's or something sportin them then that's another issue!

The great thing about these jeans is nothing has to be perfectly cut.  Each pair is unique and you can add lots of stuff you love.  Lace, ribbon, trims, fabric you name it!

[/quote]

I'd probably wear them out before I turn 60. If not I'd make sure to give them to someone younger! lol
And that was part of what appealed to me you can use any shape it's adorable and a great way to dress up something simple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008 04:32:51 AM »

NylaSkye those jeans & the matching top are the cutest.  I want them.  I am not 22. Smiley I am 37, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pumpkin-Stuffed Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make 2 Sweet and Savory Brunch Dishes
Comfort Food: Hearty Farro, Sausage & Kale Stew
How to Make Smooth Gravy
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...