A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 308,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embellishment ideas for purse I messed up  (Read 3050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PwrToolChick
« on: June 06, 2006 11:55:09 AM »

I thought I was being careful.  I was ironing out the seam at the top before I sewed.  I was trying to be extra careful around the straps because they are vinyl.  But D'OH...I wasn't paying any attention to the vinyl on the bottom.  The vinyl is ALL GONE at the store I bought it.  It's a custom-order purse and I can't start over. 

I tried to cover it with one of my labels..but it looks so terrible.  I had the idea to put one of those little spirograph thingy-ma-bobbers on it...thought that would be a fun way to cover it.  But I went through all of my kids toys and I guess we threw out all of their spirograph supplies long ago.

Anyone have ideas on what I can do to cover it up? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 11:58:54 AM »

I don't know what kind of labels you use, but you could make a new one that matches with the polka dots, an oval, or the spirals out of shrinky-dink material.  Make two holes in it and tack it down on the bag over the melty bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spicey
French Fried Texan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 12:26:26 PM »

No suggestions, but that's a lovely bag otherwise!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guin

Hey, there's a lemon behind that rock!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 12:29:33 PM »

Ditto on an accent spiral or patch - That would bring out the purse's pattern nicely and cover the boo-boo.
Best of luck to you - that's a beautiful purse, boo-boo or no.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 12:34:03 PM »

What if you covered it with another strip of blue like at the top? So, it would shorten your brown band at the bottom, but would likely look more intentional than adding just a single pin.

OR...do you have scraps of the vinyl left that you could make into a flower or bow, or even just a dot with some contrast stitching on the edge [say maybe the blue]. Again, I think that would seem more intentional than a random spirograph piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006 12:40:46 PM »

maybe you can make a flower and place it there? like with the top fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
PwrToolChick
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006 12:48:47 PM »

I do have enough vinyl scraps that I could make something.  I'm afraid a flower or bow just wouldn't go with the print on the fabric.  I don't think I'm crafty enough to be able to make a matching flower that would 'go' with the fabric print.

I thought about the ribbon all the way around..but then I think it would really take away too much from the fabric.  Sad  I put the blue ribbon across the top with the purpose of pulling the blue out of the fabric to be just enough to make it 'pop'.  (of course, I'm not sure that right now I can be too picky about it).  I think that might be my last resort.

I thought about how it would look too intentional if I put something there...but I could always put a matching something somewhere else on the purse so that it won't be 'out of place' in just that one spot.  Maybe??

My daughter is a bead queen.  She has all kinds of beads.  I wonder if there is any way I could use beads somehow to cover it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006 12:56:52 PM »

What about one of those flowers that's just made by sewing different circles together? Maybe it isn't really a flower...But what you could do is cut out a few varying sizes from the vinyl and the other fabric and layer them, securing them to the bag in the center.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
PwrToolChick
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006 01:01:59 PM »

What about one of those flowers that's just made by sewing different circles together? Maybe it isn't really a flower...But what you could do is cut out a few varying sizes from the vinyl and the other fabric and layer them, securing them to the bag in the center.

That sounds like it might work!  I'll try it...umm...not sure what I'm doing here...but I'll try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006 01:42:25 PM »

It depends on what the person who ordered it likes, but you might try scuffing the whole bottom in a way that looks intentional (like with store-bought, ripped jeans).
  I like the idea of a blue dot with contrast stitching, too. You could do an asymmetrically placed one on the other side as well.
  I love the bag, by the way. Do you sell them online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Farai Chideya Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Meet Author Stephen King
Meet Writer Blair Underwood
Captured Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Reads from The Red Queen Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...