A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please learn from my mistake!  (Read 946 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2006 03:54:44 PM »

Hi everyone....

Let me start by stating that I am not a beginner knitter. 

I found a pattern on the internet that someone published for a summer sweater and decided to give it a go.

After a week of knitting I discovered that their were some serious errors in the pattern.  As I was knitting it up, I caught a couple of them, but it wasn't until I was 99% done that I realized that the translation from a size small (that it was originally knitted in) to a size large that I knit didn't work very well.

I have put the project in a large ziplock bag and I'll end up throwing it out the next time I decide to clean out my craft room. I don't even want to look at that yarn again.

I consider the error to be mine for attempting to knit an unpublished pattern that was written without much consideration to sizing, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating!

I'm sure that my experience isn't typical, but if it saves someone else from going through what I did it is worth sharing.

Just please be careful when knitting something that someone "made up" and then wrote up the instructions as an afterthought...and then tried to make adjustments for sizing!

Karynlibrarian

THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlight1221
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006 04:12:33 PM »

I have put the project in a large ziplock bag and I'll end up throwing it out the next time I decide to clean out my craft room. I don't even want to look at that yarn again.

If you can't stand it so much you can't make anything else from it, I'm sure you could sell it on ebay or trade it on the craftster classifieds.  I'm sure there's a ton of knitters who'd be happy to take it off your hands Smiley

Also, could you tell us where this sweater was?  Since I'm not a size small, I don't want to end up trying to knit it  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 08:42:13 AM »

I actually went through last winter with the Trumpet Sweater.  The designer didn't write the pattern for different sizes and the wording was confusing. She wrote for only a small size and I'm in between a L and XL and along with the yarn the sweater made me look very boxy.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=74898.0 It was my first attempt on a sweater and I should have known better but how was I going to know without learning from my mistakes. I'm going to try again in September with a thinner yarn.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006 08:44:52 AM by rosecomet » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 12:20:15 PM »

It's not real difficult to adapt a pattern that's given in only one or two sizes to one that fits you. First figure out the gauge of the pattern - xx sts/inch and see how that relates to the size given - length, width, etc. Then take your own measurements and convert. If your size is larger and is 1.25 times the pattern size  (your size divided by the pattern size) then you need 1.25 times the number of stitches for your size. For example - the pattern is 32 and you're a 40 -  40/32=1.25. If cast on for the back is 60 stitches, then you need 76. If an even number is needed, go up or down one.

For figuring the rows, do the same. If you shape it, figure out how much. That's pretty much a specialized fit anyway, even for patterns that are given in several sizes. We're all shaped different ways.

Hope this helps.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006 07:58:02 AM »

I hope you emailed the person who wrote the pattern and told her/him about the problems! If it were mine, I'd want to know so I could help fix it and then fix the errors. The person is probably inexperienced at writing sizing, but is learning as they go, and the only way to learn is to know what mistakes you're making. Plus, there are probably other people who will try to knit it and be just as frustrated, so you'd be doing them a favor.

I guess that's the trade-off with free patterns. If someone bakes you a batch of brownies, you can't really complain too much when you chip a tooth on them... but it still aches.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
aijay
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006 11:59:00 AM »

even when i'm knitting from a published pattern, i always figure out what the final dimensions are going to be exactly for the size that i'm choosing, after i knit my swatch and know my gauge, and before i start knitting.  then i can measure those up against my own body measurements, and make sure that the arms/bust/length/etc are right for me. 

sometimes a medium is a small, sometime's it's a large, and sometime's it's just a plain medium, as anybody who's ever bought a shirt at the mall can attest to.  it's a good habit no matter where you get your patterns from, and it only requires a little math.  knitty.com has some good articles about reading patterns and figuring out dimensions in their archive.  never be surprised by your final product again!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

rosecomet

Que papi chulo!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006 05:43:30 PM »

I hope you emailed the person who wrote the pattern and told her/him about the problems! If it were mine, I'd want to know so I could help fix it and then fix the errors. The person is probably inexperienced at writing sizing, but is learning as they go, and the only way to learn is to know what mistakes you're making. Plus, there are probably other people who will try to knit it and be just as frustrated, so you'd be doing them a favor.

I guess that's the trade-off with free patterns. If someone bakes you a batch of brownies, you can't really complain too much when you chip a tooth on them... but it still aches.

Actually, I did write to the designer and she basically said for me calculate myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjtendyke
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006 12:43:59 PM »

Wow, that's just not cool.
Anyone who's going to put up a pattern for others to knit should do everything in their power to make sure it's right, or fix it when they learn of mistakes!

Sorry to hear about this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006 03:01:56 PM »

Well, some people are amateur designers, and they make something for themselves and don't know how to calculate sizes.  It is kind of them to provide a pattern for someone of the same size as they, and not really their job to calculate for other sizes if they haven't already done so, or even if they've made an attempt.  If it says right there that it was done sort of as an afterthought, then one would have to assume that it would be best for one to check things out ahead of time.  Yes a person who posts a pattern should attempt to correct mistakes, but if what they wrote doesn't fit you, it may be that you SHOULD just calculate yourself.  I myself know that I don't adjust for size well yet, but I'm still designing, and I offer my patterns to those who want, with a note that I may not know what i'm diong.  If they get mad at me for it, too bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006 03:10:20 PM »

I had tried very hard to make it clear in my original post that I was not angry at the pattern writer, because I'm not.  I think it is very brave to write up a pattern and post it for others to test!

I am very well aware that the error was my own and perhaps had I thought the pattern through I would have caught the errors in re-sizing before it was too late.

I just wanted to remind others to do the same (think it through before diving in to an non-professionally published pattern).

I am sorry if I sounded angry at the pattern person...I am NOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Richard Dawkins Talks About The Greatest Show on Earth
Meet Author Ursula Hegi
Mary Alice Monroe Talks About Time Is a River
Kathy Ireland Talks About Real Solutions for Busy Moms Devotional
Riku Campo Talks About Best in Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...