A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Renaissance gift?  (Read 1439 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2006 03:15:27 PM »

Okay... I have this friend who's birthday is coming up and she loves to go to renaissance fairs.  She even makes clothing and ren garb, she's really talented! The only problem is that I don't know anything about ren fairs.  Does anyone have any ideas for a snappy saying I could embroider on a bag or something?  I am clueless!  Any ideas would be appreciated!  You can even check out her website where she sells jewelry and clothes at ...
http://members.cox.net/enchanted_designs/
~Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006 09:26:20 PM »

I like to err on the side of comedy, so I'd borrow something from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Like:
It's just a flesh wound.

A swallow carrying a coconut?

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

We are the Knights who say... NI.

A witch!

Pie Iesu Domine, Dona Eis Requiem (monks said it, unsure of it's meaning)

Bring out your dead.

I'd opt for a tee she could wear on her "off" days from ren fairs.

(I gave this opinion w/out seeing her site. Obviously, this is more of a frivolous gift than useful)

Anybody who loves ren and Python might love these.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006 12:14:08 AM »

You do know that the fair has a website, right? Maybe you could get some ideas from there.

http://www.renfair.com/

If you're good with a sewing machine you could make ren garments for either a spiffy ren doll or something larger...depending on how much time you have. Patterns are here:

http://www.taubenfeld.bravepages.com/indexCostumes.htm

I find this really neat. Maybe you could make your own version of it:

Tic tac toe knights:
http://www.renstore.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={16A5F861-9608-4A31-9507-402DFCA3290CEVEREST}&ic=YTC5428&eq=YTC5428%2D1&Tp=

hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rheatheylia

...I think I could make one of those...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006 11:06:44 AM »

One of my friends used to love Ren fairs and went to them all the time, got a shirt at one once that said:
"the floggings will continue until morale improves"
Good luck on the gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rheatheylia.com/index.php?page=patterns
Crochet Patterns, hats and amigurumi
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006 11:13:03 AM »

I made a friend the "Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" complete with the readings from the Holy Book of armaments. I used the knit hand grenade pattern from a book whose name is eluding me at the moment. Printed the readings from a website with the full transcript of the movie. Then I covered a coffee can with a piece of parchment with Holy Hand grenade of antioch label. It was a wedding present - he had the wedding & reception at a rod and gun club...
Just in case you decide on the humor route. Unfortunately I was so excited to give it to him that I took no pictures!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006 06:23:45 PM »

Thanks so much for the replies guys!!  They are all really great ideas...now which to use....I don't know if I'll have time to do them all!  Mabye I'll make some for me, I love Monty Python!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
mishmish
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006 05:48:31 PM »

I don't know if you've thought about chainmaille, but there seems to be a lot of sites all about making it. There would be a problem getting the rings, but something like a simple handflower might be a good idea.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006 06:44:49 PM »

Pie Iesu Domine, Dona Eis Requiem (monks said it, unsure of it's meaning)
I don't have any ideas, but I want to correct this.

Pie Jesu Domine, Dona Eis Requiem.

It means Merciful Jesus [something, I'm thinking something like Ruler? I'm not even sure if it fits into this sentence.], Grant them peace.

They're lyrics from the song Pie Jesu.

edit/ No, Domine probably shouldn't be in there. It means lady, or mistress. *rolleyes*
Nice research, Monty Python.
I made out to that movie the other day, so I guess I can't complain about it. Anyway, TMI...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006 06:47:05 PM by wakeupdonnie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Writer78
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006 08:17:33 AM »

This is correct.  It's from a Latin mass.  I believe requiem masses are used at funerals (I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure).

Pie Iesu Domine, dona eis requiem

O sweet Lord Jesus, grant them rest

amberbrown, did you come up wtih an idea??  I've love the see the final results!  i'm a ren faire fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbledragon
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006 11:37:11 AM »

Wakeupdonnie, apparently you've never seen (or paid much attention to) Indiana Jones, either.  Latin didn't have the J letter, it was written as I.  Hence the "But in Latin, Jehovah begins with an I!"  (J wasn't added to the alphabet until the middle ages.)  Don't get your translations from babelfish next time, k? 

In any case.  As for gift ideas, you could look into doing some small pieces of 'blackwork' for her.  They'd be period, and she could use them on collars or sleeves of her own costumes.  Or you could put together a stitching kit for her that would also be time appropriate.  (This is a good site:  http://www.blackworkarchives.com/bw_cost.html )

At our ren faire (which is sadly closed down now...) there used to be a woman who did bobbin lace.  I thought that was neat.  Here's a page about it:  http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/make.htm#bobbins  You could put together a kit for her, and you can make bobbins from dowel rods!  Stitch together a large, heavy (tightly stuffed) pillow.  Find some different weights/colors of thread (this site even says regular spools of thread is ok), add a basket of pins (maybe even a magnet, though it's not period - substitute a nice pincusion if you like), and print out some of the lace charts!   (Here is a site with better pictures, and you can see that to get a set of simple bobbins, you really only need a dowel with a notch:  http://lacis.com/catalog/catalog.html )

As for sayings, ours used to have commercials with "Party like it's 1599."  Also, I found this little gem:  "It's called a broadsword. But men can use them too!"  I can't think of anything else right now.

Good luck!  Fun gift!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get an ISBN
Actress Kara Hayward Reads an Excerpt from The Blessed
Discovering Abigail May Alcott with Eve LaPlante
How to Write a Short Story
How to Write Rhyme
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...