A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just call me Gustav -- first handmade journal  (Read 2129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melesse
« on: June 05, 2006 11:54:31 AM »

It's show off day for me!

After looking at all the awesome hand stitched journals on here I decided to give making one for myself a try. I ravaged an old book for the covers, waxed the crap out of some variegated crochet cotton and mixed up a bunch of papers. I am very happy with the results! Now for the pictures!

The front cover. It says "Gustav Freytag - Complete Works."
http://skyworks.ca/new/gustavfront.jpg

The spine. The variegation on the thread turned out fantastically.
http://skyworks.ca/new/gustavspine.jpg

Pretty pages! I used a mix of 24lb white printer paper, 20lb pastel mix, cheap and scary drawing paper with lots of tooth to it and finger painting paper.
http://skyworks.ca/new/gustavside.jpg

The inside. If I had thought of it, I would've done an endpaper there, ahh well.
http://skyworks.ca/new/gustavinside.jpg

So just call me gustav! Wink Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 03:40:28 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: attempted to fix photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
godzilla

get back -on track

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006 12:20:08 PM »

wOw !! that's so well done and so neat.  oooh, and the stitching on the spine, that's so nice , cool Smiley i remember i made a book once in grade 8, but it was construction paper and cardboard, i used to think it was a nice piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirstyd
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 11:48:47 PM »

Gustav, you're an over-achiever. Grin This looks great. Love the mix of papers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

today was good, today was fun, tomorrow is another one.   Dr Suess

my blog http://pompomrouge.wordpress.com/    my website www.pompomrouge.com
Melesse
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006 03:51:33 AM »

*laughs* Thank you, guys!

Over-achiever is probably the best descriptor of me in a looooong time. But I'm just going to pass it off as I get bored easily, so I try everything to keep myself amused. Wink

The stitching part is really soothing, I found. I suspect I'm going to be making more books in the future.

Godzilla, your grade 8 book was probably a nice piece! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vildhavre
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006 10:41:17 AM »

Ohh, beautiful book!  Shocked  And I love the different papers you have used  Smiley   I so want to do one myself now. I've never made a journal like that before, but I've looked at the coptic stitch (that's what you have used, isn't it?) before and it doesn't look too intimidating. But what do you mean with 'endpaper'?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
Melesse
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006 12:33:05 PM »

Hah, how did I forget to mention that it's coptic bound? Sheesh. It is really easy to do once you get the rhythm down, I found.

An endpaper is the piece of paper pasted on the inside of the cover boards to cover the edges of whatever you used to cover the front of the cover board. (how many times can I use cover in a single sentence?) Because I didn't use one you can see where I cut the spine paper in half and glued it down.

If you've been thinking about making a book I *highly* recommend doing it. It's so soothing and amazing to do and simple to boot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vildhavre
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006 02:21:20 PM »

Ah, I thought it could be something like that. And you glue the endpaper to the cover before you start stitching I guess? Feels like I'm asking loads of stupid questions here..  Wink

I think I will get started as soon as I can go into town and buy some paper. I don't use journals much, but I guess I'll have to start now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006 04:08:12 PM »

Lovely! I've done plenty of coptic stitched journals, but i havent tried an open spine one like that...did you follow an online tutorial? If so i'd love a link...unless you could just explain it to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
devientscarlet
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006 11:19:12 PM »

I have tried my hand at book binding but I have not tried to use this type of binding yet. I think you have dome a wonderful job of it, but what did you use for the cover? - or did I miss that bit of your post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melesse
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006 03:35:21 AM »

Vildhavre,
yes, I glue the endpaper to the cover before stitching. Basically before I start putting the book together I have 2 complete covers, and the signatures. picture, picture... one sec. (I'm a visual learner so I prefer to show than describe) And dude! No question is stupid, how else does anyone learn from others?

Haylie,
Thanks! I can't imagine hiding the stitch under a spine. I've been using a mix between Making Journals and Books and High School Books Coptic Tutorial. There's nothing in the book that isn't in the online tutorial, I just prefer to have a physical copy of instructions when I'm doing something with my hands. Plus my desk is a disaster, so no crafting here! Smiley

devientscarlet,
I did mention it, but in passing. Basically I picked up an old book at a local thrift store based on how cool I thought the covers were, ripped off the cover *and* the spine, cut the spine in half and glued it down to the inside of the cover.

Thanks for the comments and questions guys, they're appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rhubarb and Ginger Cobbler Recipe
Fresh Peach Crumble Recipe
How to Make an Ice Cream Sandwich
Patriot’s Berry Tart Recipe
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...