A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pads for the Curvy Gal...Tutorial  (Read 58115 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2006 11:06:00 AM »

I know this post won't be for everyone.  However, I am posting it because I know out there in craftster land, there are some gals who will appreciate this. 

I made these pads because I am sick of getting up at night, sometimes up to four times, to hose myself off during my period.  I have serious periods.  When my husband woke up one morning with a mess all over him, I knew something had to be done.  I took an old pair of underwear, and using the stains as a guide, made a pattern.  I then cut out two pieces of fabric (I used flannel), two layers of an old towel (I used this project as an excuse to buy new towels), and one layer of a changing pad.  It said it absorbs 3X it's weight without leaking.
I was able to cut three pads out of one towel.

I then quilted the towel to the wrong side of one of the flannel layers.

After that, I sewed the edges of the changing pad down to the wrong side of the second flannel layer.

I then put RS together of both flannel pieces, and sewed all around, being sure to leave an opening to turn it.

Clip the curves

Turn RS out, using opening.

Topstitch all around, closing the opening in the process.

Sew Velcro on the wings.

Some of the finished pads.

Now, I realize how huge these may look to some of you, but just know I was desperate.  I am glad to report that they do their job really, really well.  I haven't had one leak since I tried out the first batch last time around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ViolentViolet
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006 11:38:58 AM »

This is great.I to have horrid times when I do get them.I was ready to kill my self last summer because it just wouldnt stop.I am going to make a few of these in case that happens again.Those stupid store bought maxi are a joke!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I just love her man,Hey what are you doing with that brick?"

http://www.wists.com/EvaBlack
slb2724
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006 11:52:31 AM »

that does seem like a good idea. ive seen a few tutes like this, but smaller. im 15, still havent gotten my period (mybe im broken? who knows!), and with all these horror stories im almost afraid to get it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006 02:04:26 PM »

Ah, these are great! My flow is wacky to say the least, but since I can't find a decent commercial product that is large enough, thin enough, and latex-free --- I think I will try making myself a set of these. Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amanelle
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006 03:35:15 PM »

Unless I'm on BC pills I have a horrible period. Thanks for the tute. I call the ones I buy in the store "Depends Undergarment jr.s" because they are so freaking big. I have a ton of ratty beat up towels that can go to this project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute_anarchy
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006 06:17:58 PM »

I'm getting more and more tempted to try these, the store bought kind aren't large enough on the really heavy days and I hate stains!  Plus the store bought kind start to stick to you, you know?  And the environmental concerns...  Either way, great job!   

(slb2724, don't worry, you're not broken, my bf didn't get hers till 16)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
A_Void_Inside
The Princess Of Denial

I don't have anything except a void inside

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006 08:36:40 PM »

I didn't get mine until I was 15 ..and i was so afraid i was broken and then I got it..but I havent had one since last october..Mine is really weird i guess..I get one normally every...5 months..but Yeah..and im not pregnant..so i dont know what's going on Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And then you take that love you made
And stick it into some
Someone else's heart
Pumping someone else's blood
And walking arm in arm
You hope it don't get harmed
But even if it does
You'll just do it all again
megan0885
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006 09:14:16 PM »

All I can say is be thankful you don't have to deal w/ it yet and need this tut.  I'm 20 and wish I had no use for this tut. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taste is the enemy of creativeness. - Pablo Picasso
shoegazer
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006 09:23:15 PM »

Out of concern if your bleeding is that heavy that you have to get up several times during the evening you may want to talk to your doctor about endometrious and uterine fibroids. Heavy bleeding is not usually normal, and a symptom of an underlying cause.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AriadnesThread
Take your life like you would a whore - Pogues

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006 09:43:24 PM »

Out of concern if your bleeding is that heavy that you have to get up several times during the evening you may want to talk to your doctor about endometrious and uterine fibroids. Heavy bleeding is not usually normal, and a symptom of an underlying cause.

shoegazer...Thanks for the concern.  I have been checked and all is well.  It's really not that my periods are crazy heavy, just that the leakage seems to follow the path of least resistance and channel itself up my backside.  It always goes past the coverage area, if you know what I mean. Especially when I'm sleeping on my back.  It always seemed like I'd get up, change, fix the problem, and then within a couple hours, it would happen again.  I made these pads extra long, specifically to remedy that problem.  So far it has worked, as I mentioned, because I can now sleep in any position, and there is NO LEAKAGE!!  That, my friend, is incredibly satisfying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Automate the Workflow in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Special Effects in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Edit an Image in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Paint With Digital Paint in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Non-Destructive Editing in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...