A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pads for the Curvy Gal...Tutorial  (Read 58599 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2006 07:42:33 PM »

really? i've never heard that before! thanks, i'll try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
cassie_g
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006 06:03:05 AM »

Those look wonderful. Now I really need to make a bunch of my own pads when I have some money. Thanks for the great tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2006 10:43:59 PM »

I had a C-Section last year.  I wish I would have had these.  I ended up with chafe and a rash from the pads.. I think the chaffing hurt worse then the C-Section.  I am glad I came across this Tut.  I am going to make a batch tomorrow for the next kid I am having in November.  I believe that I wont be so paranoid about leaking and I will defiantly be more comfy.. thank you, thank you!

sorry for the TMI but really how great for postpartum..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2006 10:17:56 PM »

That's so rad.  I'm really excited you made some.  My husband wasn't freaked out, but my kids (two girls) were.  They could have ignored them, but I posted them on the internet, and now they're just horrified.
 I'm glad everyone has shown such an interest because now I can be all like "told ya so".  They still think I'm crazy though.

Anyway, I can report from the front lines, after several months of use, that they are totally fantastic.

Those are awesome!  I <3 my cloth pads!  I got my mom hooked on them as well.  I've had the same set I made back in February and they're still  hanging tough.  I haven't had so much as the first "accident" while wearing them.  My husband even likes them.  Whenever I am sewing up some new ones (because I'm always finding a cute new flannel print I want LOL), he'll say, "those are so cool.  If I was a chick, I'd use them".  Hehe 

I'll have to sew up a couple of new ones and post pics, because I think cloth pads are awesome.  Not only are they good to your body, they're environmentally friendly as well.  There are some really great sites out there that list all of the health risks of mainstream, commercial disposable menstrual products as well as the devestating effects they have on the environment. 

Hooray for menstrual activism!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2006 10:24:42 PM »

I've been giving reusable pads a LOT of thought recently. Isn't the velcro scratchy though? I know its on the outside but,damn it, my thighs rub together so theres likely to be contact! I'm thinking of using microtowelling with t-shirt jersey top layers for the softness...does this sound right?? All the tutorials I've found call for flannel but our local store doesn't stock flannel and I'm NOT cutting up my pjs  Wink although, now I've said that I don't actually wear the top just the bottoms....

yeh I know, I'm rambling but I have to talk through ideas (talk myself into or out of them lol

thanks for sharing your tut' anyway and for broaching an often tricky subject

Some people prefer the Velcro on the wings.  I tried Velcro and it scratched my thighs, so I invested in some snap setting pliers and snaps.  I use two on each wing so they snap around my panties.  I haven't had one fall off yet and no scratchies.

Sometimes craft shops don't stock flannel until fall/winter.  My local JoAnn carries it year-round, but sometimes I have a difficult time getting ahold of flannel at Hobby Lobby in the warmer months.  You can also use fleece or terry cloth to make the top part of the pad.  Wal-Mart's craft department sells flannel, but they typically only carry the solid colors and I'm kinda partial to my prints.  So far I have gingham puppies and kitties, Hello Kitty, hula girls and day-glo flowers on a brown background for my pads.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
Kero_Girl
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2006 08:37:57 PM »

You go! I bought a ton of cloth diapers online for my last baby (fuzzibunz I think) because of skin rashes that would NOT go away, and they had stuffers inside made very similarly, but the terry cloth was something uber-uber-absorbent used with incontinent hospital/nursing home residents.

I had another set of stuffers made out of undyed hemp with a super cool flannel cover by a WAH mom.  Never had a leak out of these stuffers once - even overnight. 

There is a whole cottage industry of home diaper makers. You can join any of the yahoo groups and be part of a group order for materials. I'm willing to bet they can give a source for the uber-terry.

There's a special polyurethane lined tricot (PUL) that's used to create a thin, lightweight moisture barrier that breathes. PUL is amazing stuff. It's even stretchy! Something else to maybe consider for the back side of the pad. PUL comes in colors & patterns as well as white. It's used as the outer portion of the diaper cover.

The inner portion of the cover was made of polar fleece, which wicks moisture away like crazy, and they had gussets inside to create a curve for snugness and prevent leakage out the sides. You stuff them with however many layers of stuffers you need. 1 during day, 3 for overnight - whatever. I can see how that concept may apply for pads. A cover that you can stuff to meet your personal need of the moment from panty liner to holding the red sea back.

I had contemplated using the stuffers myself after baby grew out of diapers. Maybe I will now!

These gals also have access to industrial grade velcro as well as a high-grade plastic snap. I looked into making diapers myself, but just never had the time to really do it. HUGE $ savings plus the skin rash went away within 48 hours of switching to cloth.

I did make a dirty diaper bag that was two layers only joined at the zipper. The inner layer was a water-resistant coated material I found at a fabric warehouse. Something a lot like PUL. The outer layer was flannel with rubber duckies!  This bag never leaked on me.

So bizarre some places don't carry flannel. You can't swing a dead cat up here in Minneapolis without hitting flannel material.

I always soaked the dirty diapers & stuffers in a bucket of HOT water with a dash of oxy-clean, which work miracles on organic stains.  Wash in HOT with about 1/16 of the detergent you'd normally use on a load, and do an extra rinse. They get just as clean without residue that might cause rash/irritation in sensitive areas. Some of the moms in my la leche group swore by Oxydol for their cloth diapers as well.  Sun out any persistent stains after washing if necessary.

FWIW!
Sonya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Six
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2006 09:53:17 PM »

Just for anyone is looking for towels, IKEA has super nice ones for .79 right now. I bought tons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel
thumbkin
manic butterfly

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2006 05:36:51 AM »

There is a whole cottage industry of home diaper makers. You can join any of the yahoo groups and be part of a group order for materials. I'm willing to bet they can give a source for the uber-terry.

I used to be one of those diaper making moms! LOL! The terry is micro terry. Tereson (Fuzzy Bunz) uses so much that I'm sure she has hers specially milled but the micro terry towels at walmart are the same thing.here are a list of online stores where yo ucan buy pul and other diaper making fabrics which are also great for mama pads!
http://www.diapershop.com/
http://www.diapercuts.com/
http://www.acutabovefabrics.com/
http://www.sewshoppe.com/
http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/

and Debi's tutorial for cloth pads with lots of step by step pics
http://www.diapersewing.com/clothpads.htm

Or if you prefer an actual pattern, Kimi sells one at new Conceptions http://www.newconceptions.com/personalthings.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2006 10:25:42 PM »

I had to resurrect this thread to ask a quick question.  I have been experimenting with different inserts for my cloth menstrual pads.  I have used flannel, terry cloth, chenille and fleece.  A few months ago I ran out of flannel for new inserts, so out of desperation I cut up a cloth baby diaper.  My Goddess!  They were the best inserts I've ever used!  The only problem is that a pack of cloth diapers just for me to hack up and re-sew to go inside my pads would run about $13.  What I want to know is what is the cotton batting material they use that runs down the middle of, say, a Gerber cloth baby diaper?  Is it PUL and can I buy it at the local fabric shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2006 08:05:46 AM »

I think it is definitely not PUL.
Here's an idea: Call your local diaper service and ask about diapers pulled out of service because of wear. Obviously, they are very well sanitized and bleached since they couldn't run a diaper service without doing so.... No one would use them, lol. I have gotten them before to use as cleaning cloths because of their absorbency and sturdiness. They usuallly sell them off pretty cheap. I think when I make my next batch of pads (I don't have quite enough made up yet) I'll do this. I never thought of that before. Thanks for the cloth diaper idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Bread Tomatoes when Making Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Onion Tomato Ragu to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Preserved Lemons to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Ricotta Salata to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Aioli to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...