A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,339
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pads for the Curvy Gal...Tutorial  (Read 63570 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sedrasmom
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2007 01:28:23 AM »

You are not alone! Smiley I recently made some pads that are almost exactly the same shape, and for the same reason, before I even saw your tutorial. I love the extra coverage up front, I think it really helps to keep the pad from moving around. Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
AntiChristy
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2007 09:27:44 AM »

I've tried the Diva Cup in the small size, and I think I must be too small for it. I never can get it to not hurt me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmberKat
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2007 05:23:22 PM »

I love the idea of reusable pads! It's just fabulous! I've had problems with tampons too and have stopped using them altogether, and felt better. I'm still a little apprehensive about using the cloth pads, but after reading this I may have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2007 09:28:54 PM »

Not sure who posed the question, but about the recyled diapers made from birdseye:

it's a type of cotton fabric [duh] but someone told me once you can get it at joann's. it might also be called "diaper flannel"? dunno. BUT i do know you can buy cheap prefold diapers out of birdseye at walmartor even amazon for under 10 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Luvable-Friends-6-Pack-Birdseye-Diapers/dp/B000OCLSDW
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
bigeyes
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007 12:27:17 AM »

I can't believe I never saw this!  OP, those are perfect.  When I was first hypothyroid, you know, like YEARS before being diagnosed?  I worked from home because I bled so much I could not leave the house!  I used nighttime and postpartum pads round the clock.

Fortunately things have cleared up with treatment, but my 1st night is still incredibly profuse and gross.....

The shape is perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2007 08:37:48 AM »

I like your shape MUCH better than the rectangular ones. For sleeping, I hate wearing my DivaCup, but the pads I have don't cover the back very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
notverytalented
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2007 11:08:19 PM »

Great minds think alike!  I actually joined Craftster so I could respond.  I found Craftster with a post on the regular clothing board about making pads.  I think that thing went to 60+ pages.

I've been making this shape for my first couple of days.  We call them my beaver tail pads.  My DH was basically on "butt patrol" for the first days of my period.  I'm 51, always had heavy periods with no cramping.  I feel like I've spent my life with a coat on to cover up leaks. 

I wear this shape out of the house (with a long shirt) and have found I can actually get through several hours without leaking, where I couldn't go an hour with the heaviest tampon without having to change.  I also make multiple small, thin pads which can be stacked in the crotch area and changed without having to remove the larger pad.

My DD is 9 and I'm hoping to get her comfortable with the idea of washable pads.  One of her friends was over and asked me if I had a pad.  Of course, all I had was my homemade ones, but I gave her one of the lightweight liner sizes and told her she could just throw it away.  She seemed quite interested that I made them, but she missed the part about reusing.  That's OK.  She said it was very soft and comfortable.

The first time my 12 yo DS saw me making one, he commented that it looked like a diaper.  Yep, we sometimes need that kind of coverage.  Since he knows that I make and use these, maybe he'll grow up and be one of those husbands who don't blink an eye.  I know my DH just asked why I was doing it, not that he cared.  I told him I was so tired of not having what I needed in the house, when I needed it.  At 51 and 4 kids, my bladder isn't always go great when I have a cold and cough a bunch and these are super useful for those times also.

I've used old t-shirts and regular cotton for the covers.  I've also been using wool for most of the absorbent layer.  I'd encourge women to try different shapes and materials.  Terry backed rubber type stuff (like in baby bibs) works well for a barrier for heavy days.  Old towels work well for the middle.  For light days, several layers of cotton knit fabric is great.

One good tip I read on the other thread was to wear underwear one size smaller than normal to hold the pad securely in place.  It really does help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justjamie
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2007 07:05:37 AM »

So to the ladies who've made/used these pads, would they work for post-partem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2007 11:34:25 AM »

yes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
dirtydarkdiva
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2007 03:40:03 PM »

I have been considering switching to cloth for some time now. I think I'm gonna make me a batch. I get irritation from store bought pads and tampons are not my friends either. These seem so comfy. Of course I won't need them as big since my periods aren't usually bad. I'm wondering about odor though. I usually use the fresh scent whatver pads....but perhaps having something breathable is actually better for that right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Family Friendly Holiday Party Dresses
How to Wear Skirts with Boots
Redbook’s Red Hot Holiday Gift Ideas
Holiday Looks to Make the Season Bright
Lili Göksenin Models Jeans of the Week
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...