A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
269 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Check out my poncho!  (Read 7032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004 11:57:54 PM »

What was the shape before you joined it. Was it a square, rectangle...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004 01:34:34 PM »

The shape before I joined it was a very long rectangle.  You actually could have used it as a wrap or a shawl.  I laid it in front of me and it was very wide.  I just folded it over from right to left with the two short edges together.  What you have is a folded seam on the right and open seams on the other 3 edges.  Then I just started sewing from the top left corner across the top edge until I left about 12 inches for a neck hole.  I wish I had some way of drawing it, but I think this is pretty clear.  Then when you put your head through it, it makes an asymetrical poncho.  If you were to cast on a smaller number...it would be a bit shorter.  Easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sexie_Leopard
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004 08:33:47 PM »

what stitch did you use?   Wink Also, could you mention the dimensions of your poncho?  I just love how it fits on your model.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxycat
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004 02:33:22 AM »

I so agree with what emling said! It really looks classy! I'd like to give it a try actually. You said you used Big Softee yarn from Walmart... I did a search online and all I could find was Softee Chunky & Softee Baby was it one of those ones?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004 08:53:55 AM »

I think it was the softee chunky.......definatley not the softee baby.....I didnt keep the label. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004 05:58:09 AM »

Ok, I have been wearing the poncho some already and it is better than I thought!  I can't get over how much I like this cheapo yarn!  The only color I liked was the black (but I am partial to that anyway for my outer garments)  It is so light and hasn't "pilled" or stretched out at all!  I am a big fan of REALLY NICE yarns and I buy them any chance I can...but this is a great alternative...I am very surprised......I already have a friend who wants to buy this one from me.....maybe I will sell it and make me another one with different needles.....its only gonna cost a few bucks!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004 08:54:05 AM »

i made mine much smaller as you can see cause i wanted one of the little ponchos that are everywhere. and to snazz it up a bit i tied ribbons in with the fringe. and because of my lack of taking good photos of myself and being the only one here. my lovely chair volunteered to model it. the colour is more blue in person and has sheer 1/4 inch blue ribbon and 1/8th inch blue satin. looks fun. but still afraid to wear it out of the house.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004 08:37:47 PM by SarahFroggy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitoramamomma

knitorama llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004 08:06:55 PM »

Hey...it turned out great!  I know the chair dosen't do it justice...because its soooo stretchy and drapes so well.  I like the ribbon detail too!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixelpusher
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004 06:56:21 AM »

I just saw a poncho designed like this- the "make a big big rectangle and sew the top edge together" method-  at Ann Taylor!  It was a tighter knit - probably with something like 15s, you know what I mean? and was rather chunky yarn.  I really, really want one of these.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004 03:07:52 PM »

thanks knitoramamomma.

pixelpusher- i want to make another that is tighter knit. i used 12mm needles and the yarn that knitoramamomma used. softee chunky. i think i want to make another now that is tigher knit in pink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
117 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Repair Sky
119 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Zoomify
How to Do Lip Syncing for Animation
How to Use Animation Effects in Sprout
How to Animate Crush Test Dummy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...