A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pin-up inspired bathing suit *NOW W/ TUTE*  (Read 48960 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christai
« on: June 04, 2006 10:01:11 PM »

so after months of trying to find a decent one-piece bathing suit that fits, i tried making my own with some free remnant lycra fabric i found at school.
and here's what i came up with...
front
back

took me about an hour. thank god i had a stretch stitch function on my machine. the front boob area and the middle back is shirred using regular elastic encased in fabric. the edges are encased with swim suit elastic then zig-zag stitched over that. the strap are just stretch lace (hopefully that doesn't make it too lingerie-y). hopefully it'll hold up when i go to the beach in a few days Undecided

if anybody wants to know how to make the pattern, i just basically traced out some underwear for the bottom portion, elongated the torso and added seam allowance. i have no idea of that made sense, so let me know your comments! Grin

*EDIT*
here's a brief tutorial:

tip: even though spandex needs to be cut smaller so it can stretch to fit, always leave extra just in case!!!

Step 1: sew all side seams and crotch seam. this would be the time to adjust/tailor to fit your body (i had to re-sew the side seams a second time just to get the right fit)

2: machine baste elastic to the edge of the wrong side. keep an even stretch while basting (a general rule for determining the length of elastic is 2/3 the length to be elasticated)

3: fold basted elastic in twice to enclose it completely and use a wide zig-zag sitich to hold it. repeat on all edges.

Grin now you have the basic one-piece strapless suit. at this point go crazy and do whatever Grin

4: for rouching: cut a strip of elastic a lilttle less than 2/3 of the length you wanna rouch. on the wrong side, mark where rouching needs to be with chalk. backstitch the elastic first and pull tight along the chalkline, while zig-zag stitching over it. backstitch a few times at the end to really make sure

i hope that helped!!

*EDIT AGAIN*

so i was just shopping in vancouver and i saw this amazing dress from this little local designer store called Narcissist.

i'm pretty sure if shortened the torso part of a basic one-piece strapless suit and add some long "scarf" thingys on top i'd have a convertable suit. kinda risque, but cool idea. craftsters, feel free to lemme know what you think of my next project Wink
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009 06:55:17 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KerriedAway

Goldenly Delicious

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006 10:20:46 PM »

Very cute! I wish I could whip up a stylin' bathing suit in an hour....   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the ravens and the seagulls push each other inward and outward
inward and outward
in this place that i call home
my brain's the cliff, and my heart's the bitter buffalo
Prettyinpunk

Ooooh....swedishness.....0_o

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006 01:56:23 AM »

That's gorgeous - so does normal stretch material hold up in saltwater, chlorine etc, even though you need special elastic? I've never fully understood that  Grin I might have to take a whack at this, I'd bet my left knee that no store sells these..... beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jaci
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006 04:06:26 AM »

Oooh that's awesome - it's very flattering! Do you think you could make a more detailed tutorial...maybe with some little drawings?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

samsmartypants
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006 07:22:54 AM »

That is soo cool! I really want to make myself a cool suit like that. It's so hard to find anything that fits. And that is super awesome! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107374.0

"And you know that she's half crazy, but that's why you want to be there." ~Leonard Cohen~

www.myspace.com/samsmart
hurricane_sc
Oh, Kara.

The people all call her Alaska.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006 08:05:01 AM »

gorgeous!!!! TUTORIAL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! Just ask me about them! I have tons of fabric to trade for maybe other fabric..or knitted or crochet items!!!

For swap partners:
http://librarianintherye.blogspot.com/
FunkyKristen

karaoke goddess :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006 08:38:38 AM »

while i'm risking sounding like paris hilton.....
that's hot.  Wink

ps: this is random and partially unrelated but what does the stretch stich function look like? i've been trying to figure out the best stitch to use on my machine for knits and stuff... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missliz01

my cat playing dead ;p

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006 08:43:48 AM »

That's incredibly adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006 09:53:13 AM »

i love this!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cute_anarchy
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006 10:24:42 AM »

Wow, what a great job (and in an hour too)!  Swimsuits are impossible in stores - you found the best option without a doubt!  Question, where do you find swimsuit elastic/what does it look like?  I didn't even know such a thing exists! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Mike Dooley
Meet Author Lisa Lutz
Ann Pearlman Reveals Her Favorite Books
Tom Rob Smith Talks About The Secret Speech
Meet Author Nathan McCall
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...