A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kistchflower  (Read 4125 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2006 09:41:29 PM »

My lovely Kistchflower!

The petals, stem, and leaf are outlined in pink and green pipe cleaners, which were then glued to corresponding-colored construction paper, and drizzed with corresponding-colored glitter glue.
The center of the flower is a yellow pom-pom which was cut in half and half was glued onto the pipecleaners.
The background - which I love, but which doesn't show up very well in the pictures - is off-white construction paper, speckled with pink and green via a variation on candycanechild's Shaving Cream Cards marbling method. ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9922.0 )
In the bottom left corner is pink easter grass, which I am suprised to find was actually held in place by Elmer's glue, and further attached by green glitter glue that I painted on top of them.
The frame is just a plain black wooden frame I bought from Joann Fabrics.
The glitter on the frame, however, is a fun story. I was trying to draw swirly, vine-ish things with the green on the upper left corner of the frame, but it wasn't coming out thick enough, so I squeezed the bottle a little harder... and the tip popped off, spilling about half the glitter glue onto the frame and the corner of the paper. At first I was horrified, desperately grabbing for a paper towel and trying to scoop off as much as possible, but a second later, I had an idea. I grabbed a paintbrush and spread it out, then used the paper towel almost like a palette and painted two of the other corners to match. (And I used the leftovers to paint a couple of construction paper hearts, which I'll find a use for later...)

This whole project has sort of been like that; my original plans didn't work, something went wrong, I had to change direction... For example, there wasn't supposed to be any pink in this at all. But Joann Fabrics had NO purple pipe cleaners, and the only colors I had for coloring for the paper were pink and green, and we had no green easter grass (?), only pink and yellow. And this was originally supposed to be done on the cover of a journal.. but, I had no extra journal and couldn't find one.
All in all, I'm thrilled with the end result, especially because I'm redecorating my room, and this actually matches the decor.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 04:40:27 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006 09:34:04 AM »

I like it - i t's sort of freshy and happy

too bad we can't see the background!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006 04:30:17 PM »

Yeah, the background is hard to make out. I scanned it and posted it to the Shaving Cream Cards thread before gluing the flower and such on. (I think it's on page 21, or so.)  Undecided And I should have set the frame against a lighter bg for the picture, so you could see it better.

Ah well, live and learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
"CHEAT: A Man’s Guide to Infidelity" Infomercial
Annie Lederman Interviews Joe DeRosa on Cheat
John Norcross on Sustaining Behavior Change
The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
Sarah Beth Durst on Her Book Vessel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...