A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,703
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to be, what to be.....  (Read 5205 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006 07:57:24 AM »

will do - although, as I may have mentioned, I'm not going to be padding myself out with foam (I'm moving to So Cal in 13 days - it's gonna be too hot!), so it'll be a slightly different style.

It's funny, I was thinking "split-toe shoes" and doing google searches until i found the name "tabi shoes," then doing more google searches....it was great to read nocturnaloner's post to see that that was what he had used as well. Very reassuring, given his fantastic results! We must all be thinking the same thing...

so now I'm stuck with muslin long johns and - without the tabi boots - no way to mock up the foot covering in muslin, so I guess I'm in a holding patten. Oh well, I need to work on getting ready to move, anyway. I'll be starting on the the top and/or my horns this weekend, while I wait.

batty! What are you going to be? Join our costume-along!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
batty
weird kid

If no one was crafty life would be boring.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006 09:08:04 AM »

I'm thinking maybe Joan of Arc... but i have some other ideas too... I'm hoping maybe next year i can be a steam-punk inventor, with goggles and vintage old scientifick-y things, but i don't have time this year. (I'd need to do alot of shopping around.) so I'll probably do a nice suit of armour....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

replies are so encouraged.... it's scary.
deviantart
wists
blog (it's new so there's not much at all on it)
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006 09:13:09 AM »

will do - although, as I may have mentioned, I'm not going to be padding myself out with foam (I'm moving to So Cal in 13 days - it's gonna be too hot!), so it'll be a slightly different style.

It's funny, I was thinking "split-toe shoes" and doing google searches until i found the name "tabi shoes," then doing more google searches....it was great to read nocturnaloner's post to see that that was what he had used as well. Very reassuring, given his fantastic results! We must all be thinking the same thing...

so now I'm stuck with muslin long johns and - without the tabi boots - no way to mock up the foot covering in muslin, so I guess I'm in a holding patten. Oh well, I need to work on getting ready to move, anyway. I'll be starting on the the top and/or my horns this weekend, while I wait.

batty! What are you going to be? Join our costume-along!

Let me see if I can get him to give you some suggestions....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Nocturnaloner
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006 09:23:25 AM »

The split toe in the boot is really not necessary.  PVC or some similar plastic for the hooves is highly recommended.  Do a search for 'ninja boots' on ebay.  They come with and without the split toe.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006 09:37:48 AM »

I think I have my idea!

I want to do Anima Sola.

I will use a simple, white nightgown and fashion flames coming up from the bottom....maybe using tulle? Something that is sheer but still has some body/stiffness to it so I can make them dimensional. Then I'll also wear the shackles - probaby plastic ones I can get once the Spirit stores open.

I wear glasses so masks & makeup are kind of a pain for me. I think this will work really well.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006 02:50:11 PM by amaryllisroze » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
fleur_delicious

i like contrast

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006 01:57:08 PM »

The split toe in the boot is really not necessary.  PVC or some similar plastic for the hooves is highly recommended.  Do a search for 'ninja boots' on ebay.  They come with and without the split toe.

ha, already purchased them, too late! =)

I actually did a google search for tabi boots and found some at a martial arts supply, cheaper than the split-toe surf booties I was looking at earlier that day. I haven't decided yet how I am going to do the hoof - bf and I are talking foam options (architect and model nerd - he's got all my foam stats for me), layered with latex on the outside (or even a rubber-based sealant or acrylic gel medium) and paint from there (got that in droves, check). 

This way, though, I figure I can  get that hoof set farther back on my foot. I've strong spacing between my toes (comes from not wearing pointy-toed shoes, take THAT, Stacey London! - j/k I love you!)  so I'm going to experiment with how much give I'll have in the split toe. Either way, tabi boots are the way to go - lightweight canvas, easy to attach fabrics to, and can we say cheap?

I'm thinking that for the heel of the shoe, I'm going to shoe goo some leather  - or perhaps even a strip of horse or cowhide on to help mask the terra-cotta-rubber, allowing me to traipse around on me toesies if I feel like it, and not ruin the image with perforated rubber bottoms.

Again, as I'm sans pads in the hairy pants, I'm going for cropping them closer to my legs - the tabi boots say they have velcro adjustment in the back, and I'm planning to put hidden zippers from ankles to calves to better fit them. I'll probably not anchor the back of the boot to the fur of the pant, thinking that it's better to allow the boot to shift inside the costume as necessary, but we shall see.

Finally, shopping for horsehair on the net. I'm thinking some fringey feathering over the hoof and along those hidden zippers will not only help mask the seam, but also be a nice detail (though pricey!). Definitely planning to call my mom and see if her horse's tail needs trimming in the next month or so.

I'm thinking maybe Joan of Arc... but i have some other ideas too... I'm hoping maybe next year i can be a steam-punk inventor, with goggles and vintage old scientifick-y things, but i don't have time this year. (I'd need to do alot of shopping around.) so I'll probably do a nice suit of armour....

Yeah, Joan of Arc! Man, you guys have the BEST ideas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

Under_the_Rose
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2006 03:09:38 PM »

this makes me happy.... your costumes sounds like its gonna be awsome fleur post some pictures when possible, id like to see how it turns out...

as for me i finally got my last pay check form my summer job so i can start buying stuff for my costume and homecoming dress.. and a costume im doing for a friend... i am gonna be busy.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
fleur_delicious

i like contrast

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006 07:38:06 PM »

woot! my fabric came yesterday, and it is awesome! It's so thick and shaggy, hah! My legs are going to be MONSTROUS and fuzzy, I really love it, I'm finding it hilarious!

Too bad my pattern and muslin long-john-liners are already packed away...it'll be 10 days at least before I unpack again and can work on it more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under_the_Rose
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006 09:47:18 PM »

bah im questioning my choices again.... i havent really started the one i decided yet... but lo and behold i went to goodwill the other day...and what did i find?? the most awsome coat that was kind alike the once i sketched out for the vampire idea... i hope its still there i want to see if someone can take me today or saturday... i hope its still there... its pretty rad... i need help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
fleur_delicious

i like contrast

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006 10:25:45 PM »

We've ALMOST got the office/craft room unpacked. I can't wait - ever since I unpacked my tabi boots, I've been getting titchy about getting to work on this!

I still have to get some foam...and that horsehair. I can't believe it's only lilke 6 weeks away! AAAHHH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Panda
How to Draw a Cute Pig
How to Draw a Penguin
How to Sketch Anime Noses
How to Design a Cartoon Girl
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...