A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shaving Cream Cards-- With Tutorial--MUST TRY!  (Read 130429 times)
Tags for this thread: card , tutorial , shaving_cream , paper , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iloveyou330
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2004 10:49:59 AM »

okay 2 questions: 1, when the card is dry, cant u just stamp the picture rite on to it? 2, what if u watered down the acrlic paint? wood that work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From the book Godless:

Just Al: I know that God is real. I feel his presence in my heart
Me: What does it feel like?
Just Al: It's hard to describe Jason. It feels good.
Me: Oh. I thought maybe it was like heartburn or something.
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2004 11:37:36 AM »

That is sooo awesome! Thanks for the great idea! I was just wondering what would happen if you used the shaving cream left over from this project. (yes I'm weird.) I bet the food coloring would leave some strange patterns on your skin!

Hahaha! Interesting thinking... might have to get back to you on that. No, only kidding. Food dye seems to like to stay on my skin for days... I have such pale skin.

okay 2 questions: 1, when the card is dry, cant u just stamp the picture rite on to it? 2, what if u watered down the acrlic paint? wood that work?

I didn't just stamp it onto the paper because I thought it would be hard to see. You could just stamp it onto the card, I'm sure. My The sun card was for an elderly woman, so I didn't want it to look too sloppy. As for the acrlic paint idea, I tried that before the food colouring. I didn't like the results as much... and with food colouring, you can literally make any colour you want.. you don't have to have it in your paint collection.

or colgate

Yeah, actually, that was the shaving cream I used. I don't like that stuff for my skin, but for cards, it works great! I'm going to look into a similar thing that doesn't have a scent. I mean, the aloe smell it gives off is very mild and hard to pick up on, but it would be better if there was no scent at all. Anyone know of a scentless shaving cream? Heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shortestkitty
Wootage.

Ghost ride your whip.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2004 12:41:07 PM »

I used Colgate (my Dad's) so my cards smell a little, umm, manly at the moment. I'm hoping airing them out will help.

I also wanted to say thanks again for this nifty idea, I've done it twice now and it's soooo much fun! It just looks so amazing! I also tried with just one color a moment ago and I like how that looks, too. Kind of elegant. Just wanted to share Smiley

Also, I told my boyfriend what I was doing when he called and he thought I was nuts  Tongue Guess I'll just have to send him one so he can see the awesomeness in person  Wink Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look! Round windows!

Check out my Etsy shop for handpainted fashion goodness:
http://www.frompapertocloth.etsy.com

And yes, there's a blog: http://frompapertocloth.blogspot.com
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2004 03:29:51 PM »

I used Colgate (my Dad's) so my cards smell a little, umm, manly at the moment. I'm hoping airing them out will help.

I also wanted to say thanks again for this nifty idea, I've done it twice now and it's soooo much fun! It just looks so amazing! I also tried with just one color a moment ago and I like how that looks, too. Kind of elegant. Just wanted to share Smiley

Also, I told my boyfriend what I was doing when he called and he thought I was nuts  Tongue Guess I'll just have to send him one so he can see the awesomeness in person  Wink Thanks again!

Yeah, don't feel bad, shortestkitty... everyone thought I was nuts when they heard what I was doing. A word of advice: do not try to explain to your friend why you are using shaving cream to make greeting cards if they call you. You'll never hear the end of it. At least not until you give them a card with their birthday gift... that will shut them up.

I like the one-colour idea... I will definatly try that. Do you have any pics?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yawning pumpkins

the answer my friend i blowin in the wind

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2004 07:47:23 AM »

so i'm trying it and i'm at the point that you have to wipe it off.... and it looks awful. what am i doing wrong? first i just laid the paper towl on the shaving creamed paper then that didn't really work so i started wiping it off. and that made it worse.

maybe if i just leave the shaving cream on do you think that would be ok? cuz it seems like it would look kinda cool if it dried this way.

also it came to mind that i might be using the wrong paper.... is there a special paper to use? i'm using some hard computer paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be the gypsy
who's camped at the edge of town
the one who has the dancing bear
that follows him around

and he lifts his big foot up
puts his big foot down
then bows..then twirls..
then dances round and round
yawning pumpkins

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2004 09:14:52 AM »

alright i think i figured out my problem... i thought there was going to a texture to the card... and there isn't right? its just flat? see i havn't seen these hallmark cards yet so i hae no idea what i'm doing. but mine are coming out good now. thank you for the idea! but some how yours still looks a ton better than mine...  Undecided what ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be the gypsy
that follows him around

puts his big foot down
then bows..then twirls..
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2004 12:57:24 PM »

so i'm trying it and i'm at the point that you have to wipe it off.... and it looks awful. what am i doing wrong? first i just laid the paper towl on the shaving creamed paper then that didn't really work so i started wiping it off. and that made it worse.

maybe if i just leave the shaving cream on do you think that would be ok? cuz it seems like it would look kinda cool if it dried this way.

also it came to mind that i might be using the wrong paper.... is there a special paper to use? i'm using some hard computer paper.

Well, first, just dip it into the cream and DON'T put any paper towels on top of it. Let it sit for a few mintutes. THEN wipe it off. Paper doesn't matter... virtually any type of paper would probably work. I've done cardstock and paper envelopes so far. Just keep experimenting... that's all I can suggest.

alright i think i figured out my problem... i thought there was going to a texture to the card... and there isn't right? its just flat? see i havn't seen these hallmark cards yet so i hae no idea what i'm doing. but mine are coming out good now. thank you for the idea! but some how yours still looks a ton better than mine...  Undecided what ever.

Nope, there's no texture. Marbled cards are becoming very popular... and so are marble gift bags, etc. I'm going to try a gift bag soon. But it'll have to have more of a paper consistancy, I think, rather than that shiney paper. I'll hunt around for a plain white one and then do one side at a time, letting it dry. If anyone beats me to this, post, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2004 02:18:04 PM »

More cards, please!

Yes, I did this again. The first card I made will be given to my friend for her birthday. It was impossible to craft up something for her (my one friend already made her a tie skirt, she doesn't use a purse, and her room has no theme), so I was forced to buy her something. I chose a really nice (and expensive...) bonsi plant kit. So, I needed an asian-themed card. Hello shaving cream and dragon stamp! Thanks to shortestkitty for the one-colour idea! I love my one-colour card!

Of course, I made a matching envelope...
Front

Back

And, since this is a very addictive activity, I made another one... this time using two colours: blue and yellow. They mixed together to make the green you see. Cool, huh? Oh, and that's a moon stamp in the corner...

Matching envelope:
Front

Back

Anyone else done this and have pics? Please share... I'd love to see your ideas and designs.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yawning pumpkins

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2004 02:45:37 PM »

hey thank you so much for clearing that up for me. i did it with the girl i babysit and she thought it was really cool. yet how do you get yours to be so cool? do you dab the shaving cream off? cuz i was just wiping it. i wish i had a camera here (my dad as it at the moment) cuz then i could show you mine. but what ever its still really awesome and they smell wicked good because i sprayed them with some of that room smelling stuff i don't know what you call it. the stuff that makes rooms smell good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd rather be the gypsy
that follows him around

puts his big foot down
then bows..then twirls..
candycanechild
Paper Doll

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2004 03:25:08 PM »

hey thank you so much for clearing that up for me. i did it with the girl i babysit and she thought it was really cool. yet how do you get yours to be so cool? do you dab the shaving cream off? cuz i was just wiping it. i wish i had a camera here (my dad as it at the moment) cuz then i could show you mine. but what ever its still really awesome and they smell wicked good because i sprayed them with some of that room smelling stuff i don't know what you call it. the stuff that makes rooms smell good.

I just wipe it off... not sure how else to explain it. I don't dab it, though. Can't wait to see some pics! I might have to try spraying something on mine... not sure if the scents would mix well, though... haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Caitlin Ellsworth, the Newest Beauty Smartie
How to Flaunt the Tribal Nails Trend
Flaunt Modern Sparkly Eyes to Your Next Party
How to Find Your Perfect Foundation Match
How to Get Newspaper Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...