A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shaving Cream Cards-- With Tutorial--MUST TRY!  (Read 130533 times)
Tags for this thread: card , tutorial , shaving_cream , paper , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RottieFan
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2010 02:09:28 PM »

*YIKES!! I just made my first two and the food coloring bled through the cardstock!
Am I using too much shaving cream, too much food coloring or both?

This seems too simple to mess up......but then again, I didnt inheritate my mother's crafting abilities.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AprilHaldane
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2010 03:24:33 PM »

I just made some with my 10 and 3 year old. FUN! I was trying to do some pink/red/purple but I couldn't quite get the purple right. Will have to work on that next time.

We're going to use the paper for valentines for the party we are having next week. (We're having a party with some of the other homeschool families I know so my boys don't have to miss out!) I think I'm going to make some homemade crayons (found those here http://www.favecrafts.com/Valentines-Day/Melted-Crayon-Heart-Valentines) and glue them to the front of this paper. Wal-mart has some silicone mold pans for $9! I'll post pics of our finished cards.

Some observations:

If your paper is streaked you probably didn't wait long enough for it to try before whiping.

Using paint does work but it takes longer to dry and has an interesting effect. I think the reason the food coloring works better is because it dries super fast.

If you overmix your food coloring/shaving cream mixture you get gray! OK if thats what color you are going for but not to pretty otherwise Smiley

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/204241_29Jan10_marble_paper.JPG

All of em

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/204241_29Jan10_marble_paper_2.JPG

looks kinda like roses doesn't it?

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/204241_29Jan10_marble_paper_1.JPG

Purty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2010 04:14:44 PM »

they turned out great! I did this project last year at one of my kids school to make mothers day cards and they had so much fun doing it. I think I will do it with my girlscout troop and let them make mothers day cards this year as well since it turned out so great. We used some pretty smelling shaving cream so it smelt good and looked good
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
AprilHaldane
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2010 11:07:08 PM »

*YIKES!! I just made my first two and the food coloring bled through the cardstock!
Am I using too much shaving cream, too much food coloring or both?

This seems too simple to mess up......but then again, I didnt inheritate my mother's crafting abilities.   Cry

i'd say too much food coloring. the shaving cream didn't come through any of mine. maybe the wrong kind of shaving cream? what did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RottieFan
« Reply #314 on: February 01, 2010 11:48:02 AM »

I used the Barbasol brand.  Im thinking I used too much of both as I got the bleeding through and my cardstock shriveled some after drying.  I think my other mistake was really pressing the cardstock into the cream and not letting it just sit on top.  Im attacking it again either today or tomorrow. I just get frustrated when I see something that seems so easy, that for me, it turns out so complicated!   Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkangelwingz
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2010 04:58:40 PM »

thanks for the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AprilHaldane
« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2010 04:04:03 PM »

I used the Barbasol brand.  Im thinking I used too much of both as I got the bleeding through and my cardstock shriveled some after drying.  I think my other mistake was really pressing the cardstock into the cream and not letting it just sit on top.  Im attacking it again either today or tomorrow. I just get frustrated when I see something that seems so easy, that for me, it turns out so complicated!   Angry

I dont think it was pushing it down, I did that too. I really mashed it down so that I could get a nice even coating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RottieFan
« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2010 08:56:35 AM »

Maybe I just have cheap card stock.  I tried again yesterday only on half the sheet and it still shriveled and wouldnt lay flat when folded over.  I have to venture to the store today so maybe there is better quality card stock out there.  I will double check what Im using and see if there is a sturdier product out there.  Thanks for your help April!    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isnessofwhatis
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2010 06:03:19 PM »

I got myself a can of shaving cream and I already had the food coloring.  I'm so excited to try this out.  I am also going to try to use a highly concentrated form of kool-aide. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap ATC size "pillows" with my fellow teesha moore peeps.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2010 04:54:13 PM »

Maybe I just have cheap card stock.  I tried again yesterday only on half the sheet and it still shriveled and wouldnt lay flat when folded over.  I have to venture to the store today so maybe there is better quality card stock out there.  I will double check what Im using and see if there is a sturdier product out there.  Thanks for your help April!    Grin

I've done this a couple of times and found that glossy card stock works the best. Maybe that will help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Questions For Reggie Jackson
Lisa Renee Jones: What Are You Reading?
Deborah Meyler: What Are You Reading?
Colleen Hoover: The Most Wonderfully Unexpected Bestselling Author
Abbi Glines Reveals Her Favorite Characters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...