A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has anyone made the sandals in the Spring 06 Interweave Crochet?  (Read 958 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmigurumiMan
« on: June 03, 2006 12:09:28 PM »

Like the subject says, I'd like to hear from anyone who has completed these.  The magazine is very nice and has these awesome espadrille-type sandals in it, with their soles made from heavy twine - they suggest jute twine.  I had to try it, used hemp cord instead of the jute and had tons of fun getting blisters on both hands trying to crochet what is basically thin rope.  Seriously, this was a blast.

Then I got to the uppers.  I can't make them work. My rows keep getting shorter, and I can't figure out why.  I've followed many patterns and can usually work out the little glitches of interpretation and even correct for misprinted or miswritten patterns, but I can't get this damn thing right.  I suppose I could make it up, but the uppers in the picture have such a nice curve over the arch of the foot, and seem to be good and strong as well, so I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Anybody?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006 03:02:59 PM »

Hey Ami!
I tried making those sandals...I only bothered to make one complete one however.
I did use jute (and got blisters too) and I found that they are very flimsy and are very slippery on floors   They are not hard-wood floor or staircase friendly AT ALL!!  (Im such a clutz as it is I dont need anymore help in that dept!)

The uppers are supposed to get smaller to accomodate for where the foot narrows down to the toe area. Mine came out too small (using the largest pattern option) so I had to go around the upper with hdc's before I attached them.  Oh and I attached them by sc'ing them onto the soles instead of sewing them on bc it looked nicer.

I was so bummed about them not coming out like I thought esp bc I bought the mag just for that pattern.
oh well....live and learn I guess
Happy Crocheting
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
AmigurumiMan
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006 12:32:22 AM »

Thanks for responding, Laamissa - I'm glad I'm not the only one who had problems. 

I think these kind of shoes are really only fit for light outdoor use anyway (I was just going to use them as beach shoes, if I ever even wore them - really it was more a case of "DUDE, crocheting rope! I gotta try that!" than "hey, I'd really like to have sandals like that!") but if you did want to use them indoors I bet you could improve the traction by dabbing dots of some kind of sticky plastic on the bottom. I see a lot of slippers with that sort of thing.  I'm sure they'll be flimsy no matter what you do, but at least you won't skid all over the place.

I'm still bummed about the uppers, though.  I understand they are supposed to get smaller towards the toe, but mine were losing stitches in every row and curling up like crazy.  I wish they would give you a stitch count in each row, instead of once every six rows - I could have used it to check my rows and maybe figure out where I went wrong. Even a simple "repeat from * five times" or somesuch would have done the trick.  The way they wrote it, I know there are meant to be decreases somewhere, but I can't tell where. 

I guess I'll have to improvise after all.  It'll have to wait, though, because I already started another project. Which realistically means I may never do this.  Grumble grumble...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharc
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006 05:28:26 AM »

i'm new to crocheting, but my Mum also tried these, and using the large size it barely fit her size 7 feet. But she's yet to get to the top as well.. ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharc
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006 05:25:22 AM »

just wanted to say that i tried this myself (3 times!!) this weekend, loosely crocheting with a size "N" needle .. .. came out nice, but a bit too big!! I have size 8, and the large looked like an 12, and the medium seemed to be around a 9.5/10, and the small was just too small - maybe a 6.5 or 7?
. .. .just wanted to post this as an update!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kundi

hooray for people

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006 09:08:51 AM »

I bought the magazine for this very pattern, and it did not work out for me.  I didn't get blisters though!  They are very flimsy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006 09:16:41 AM »

Hmm... I don't like what I'm hearing about this pattern.  I also bought the mag just for this and haven't tried it yet.  Do you think the soles would be less flimsy if you crocheted really tight?  Do you make two layers of the sole and them seam them together?  That might make them more sturdy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FREE YOURSELF
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006 12:28:45 PM »

I made them too but instead I made two soles then took padding out of an old shoe and put it in between and crocheted the shoes together.It worked out fine my cousin still wears them....I also found that making the  straps thicker ws better...just a little advice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmigurumiMan
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006 07:58:45 PM »

You mean it's doable? I have to try these uppers again. Must finish doily first. MUST... FINISH... PROJECT...

May I ask which uppers you made, and if you had any difficulties following the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eric LeMay Talks About Immortal Milk
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Talk About The Adventures of Meno Series
Susan RoAne Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
John Lithgow Sings from I Got Two Dogs
Novelist Rachel Kushner Reveals Her Best Quality
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...