A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
842 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: undersea kingdom playset! (many pics)  (Read 10221 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princesakati
« on: June 03, 2006 11:01:58 AM »

***to my mind all these items go together as a set, but I understand that my mind does not always categorize things in the same way that other peoples' do, so if y'all don't agree, let me know and I'll take some of the stuff down***

I had so much fun with this challenge!  After I'd bought all my supplies and brought them home, I realized that it all reminded me strongly of kindergarten.  that brought up other random childhood associations, such as mobiles, and playsets, combined with the fact that the glitter pompoms remind me of sea urchins, and voila, my kitschy undersea kingdom was created!

To begin with, here are my fishy minions:

some of them are from a fishie swap; specifically, the red felt fishie is from dixie terror and the green yarn octopus is from jerome!  I initially wanted green easter basket grass to drape over it like seaweed, but could NOT find it ANYWHERE.  fortunately, my mom had this foul green yarn in her basement, which worked out very well!
I covered the popsickle sticks with the green yarn, and hung from them various items such as fabric fishies, pompom fishies, yarn octopi, strings of pearl beads, and strings of glitter pompoms/sea urchin families

here is a closeup of one of my pompom fishies!  they are so cute!

here is the sea queen's crown!  it is made out of a whole bunch of popsickle sticks cut off at different lengths (actually, after I was about half way through, I realized it was much easier to snap them off with pliers rather than cutting them.  oh well, live and learn.).  they were then glued to a paper backing and painted gold, covered with glitter, and decorated with pompoms and pipecleaner shapes, as well as a fuzzy yarn border.  I also glued a strip of felt inside to make it more comfortable.

here is an awful picture of me modeling the crown and my scepter.  i don't know what that face I am making is about.  it is hard to take a picture of yourself, and yes, I am probably too old to be wearing a popsickle stick crown. 

and finally, here is an action shot of me using the sceptre to subdue the unruly fishies!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006 11:13:20 AM »

I taught Head Start for a number of years. (A pre-school program for low income 3, 4, and 5 year olds.) I had this parent involvement program in which each student had their "special day." On their "special day" each student got to invite their parents (or another adult) to spend the day with them and they wore a crown all day long that the student and their adult guest would decorate first thing in the morning.  I would totally use this crown for that!!  It is MUCH better than the boring paper template I used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophroworth
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006 12:41:58 PM »

aww its so bright and cute, i love the sea creatures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is my intention to raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out....
Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006 02:21:08 PM »

This is really adorable. And in my opinion, one is never too old to wear popsicle-stick crowns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006 02:50:42 PM »

how did you make the crown? that is so cool (and so somthing I could do with my preschoolers). I did this chalange too... At work, with my preschoolers all over. I should show off there creations (they did the challange too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
princesakati
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006 03:12:47 PM »

thanks so much everyone!   Grin

how did you make the crown? that is so cool (and so somthing I could do with my preschoolers). I did this chalange too... At work, with my preschoolers all over. I should show off there creations (they did the challange too)

ok, this was what craftychica refers to as a "homegirl" craft -- i.e. no measuring involved.  what I did was I took a strip of wrapping paper and wrapped it around my head and cut it so it fit.  (it actually wound up being a little big, but the felt lining helps).  Then I took my box of popsicle sticks (there, I finally spelled it correctly!) and broke them to length -- again, I was eyeballing it, but the long ones were left whole, the next longest ones I snapped maybe half an inch off of, and the shortest ones I snapped about an inch off of.  Then I glued them onto the paper in pattern -- shortest, longer, longest, longer, then shortest again.  I used tacky glue, and, after I had all the sticks glued in place, I stood the whole thing up and positioned it as a circle and tied yarn around it so the sticks wouldn't fall off, and then left it until it dried.  once dry, I used a great deal of tape (on the inside) to join the ends together, and painted it with gold craft paint.  then I glued a felt strip inside and decorated it!
The sceptre might be a good kid craft too -- I glued 4 sticks into a star shape and just kind of winged the handle by overlapping 6 sticks and gluing them together -- then I painted the star pearl white and covered it with tiny iridescent stars and painted the handle gold and decorated it with pipe cleaners and pompoms!  really, the pictures do not do the sceptre justice, it is blindingly glittery!
 I hope these directions make sense! 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006 03:14:25 PM by princesakati » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006 06:53:47 PM »

weve done the stickless septor for a chirstmas craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
bourgeois manque

"Anxiety is the hand maiden of creativity"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006 11:14:06 PM »

I'm lovin' the pom pom fish  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joler79
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006 03:02:01 AM »

gotta love the pom pom fishies!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah! Aussie crafting mumma!
I <3 personal swaps ( and I promise add Tim Tams!)
VaxGirl
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006 03:32:57 PM »

I love the yarn octopi!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Grilled Reuben Sandwich
How to Make Your Own Egg McMuffin
French Toast with Strawberry Syrup Recipe
How to Make French Toast Fingers with Ginger-Bourbon Syrup
How to Make Candied Yams
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...