A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sleeping mask, with easy tutorial to go with it, I hope :)  (Read 12417 times)
Tags for this thread: sleeping_mask , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2006 08:54:31 AM »

Here's sleeping mask tutorial I made.  I looked on this site, saw some neat ones, but just wasn't working for me because its hard for me sometimes to understand things, so I made my own, the one I created you have to tie around your head.  It's my first tutorial, I hope you can understand because its hard to explain directions sometimes for me.  It takes 30 mintues to an 1 and 30 minutes to make, depending on your sewing skills.  So, regardless they are fast to make.
1.  Find a pair of coloring page sunglasses.  You can go  to this site to print one off: http://members.coloringplanet.com/gallery/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Clothing/Sunglasses Then. cut it out but not on the black line,leave a few space between the black line and the scissors because remember once you sew it goes a bit smaller.  Then you pin it to the fabric of your choice, and do the same thing as you did with the paper, leave space between the fabric and the paper and cut.
2.  Use the sunglasses and cut you a dark piece of fabric using the sunglasses.  Mine is out of shape because I was just using scraps, of fleece for the inside, But I'm sure a dark piece of fabric work as well for the in between.
3.  Cut two long straps
4.  Put right sides together, meaning the print of your fabric inside. And sew starting on the side and go around to you get to the same side you sewn on, but leave a little part unsewn so you can turn it inside out.  Sew close to the edge as you can, not to close, but close enough, if you stare hard enough at the pic you might see how far I sewn close to the edge.
5.  This is what I mean by leaving a small slit unsewn and start with you hands turning it inside out.
6.  This is what it should look like when you turn it inside out, to make sure it goes out completely, use your pinky finger since its the smallest and stick your finger in the slit scrunching it on your finger to you get to the other side and make sure its completely turn inside out..
7.   Then start sticking your dark fabric shaped sun glasses into the small slit until you get it all in there and again, use your finger to unball it and make it flat inside.  But, you might have to go around the whole thing with scissors, so that they will fit inside your sleeping mask.
8.  Turn the fabric from the slit kind of inward.
9.  Then sew that little slit closed.
10. Then you sew on each side the strap.  And around the strap you can zigzag the edges of the strap if you want to keep them from unraveling.  I didn't for this one or the surfing one you will see below because like I said these only take 30 minutes to an 1 and 30 minutes to complete, just depends how your sewing skills are.
11. THen you put it on you and tie it like a shoe string in the back, see pic below to understand.
12.  You're done, now you can go to sleep and you dont have to worry somebody in your room waking you up with your light.
Here's two more that I did, the first one I made for my brother.  He paid me 50 cent for it, but what can u expect?  He's my brother.

I hope you enjoy, and I would love some feedback on this.  And I apprieciate the people that take time to do tutorials on here.  It's not that hard but it is time-consuming.  So, thanks for the people that do make tutorials and took time to make one because whoo, it was some work.  So, plze I would love feedback.  And I hope people will try this, keep finger crossed
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010 06:25:57 AM by SevsOnlyGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006 08:56:25 AM »

Cool! I have always wanted to make one just like Audrey Hepburn wore in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" You know....in Tiffany Blue satin with false eyelashes making the eyes closed on the outside.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006 09:00:01 AM »

That would be cute.  Thanks for the idea.  I won't use that one of course because its yours.  But, I do have some fabric that is plain looking.  So, if I do use it to make more sleeping mask, I can decorate them on the outside instead of them looking plain.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011 11:55:24 PM by SoonFamo-Artiste » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006 09:02:26 AM »

That would be cute.  Thanks for the idea, I wont use that one of curse because its yours, but I do have some fabric that is plain looking, so if I do use it to make more sleeping mask, I can decorate them on the outside instead of them looking plain

USE IT!! Go ahead!  It's not mine, it's Audrey Hepburn's!  Plus even if it were "mine" I'd still say USE IT, Go Ahead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006 07:54:18 PM »

No one needs a sleeping mask Cry? lol, they really ar fun to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006 04:15:06 AM »

I like the fabric you used for the masks! I use my sleep mask all the time for daytime snoozes.
When the masks are laid out flat, like in your last picture, they look like teensy bikini tops!! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006 03:16:29 PM »

That's what my sister said, cuz after i took the picture of them I was thinking the same thing but she said it outloud,lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006 03:35:07 PM »

No one needs a sleeping mask Cry? lol, they really ar fun to make

I wear one almost every night! That way my husband can read in bed and I can sleep. He can also gets up and hour before me every morning and I can sleep in! I'm all about those few extra minutes of sleep.

Cool  <---- me sleeping!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006 06:20:02 PM by PinkyK » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006 03:35:27 PM »

Thats what i wanted them for so the light wont wake me up and my sister woke me up with the light this morning and I was thinking, why dont I got my sleeping mask on, I forgot to put it on,lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006 04:12:55 PM »

Anybody looking for a sleeping mask to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Felted Fabric Sandwich
How to Create a Memory Map Board
How to Sew a Purse Organizer
How to Make a Patchwork Blanket Design
How to Make Card Paper Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...