A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I DID IT!!!!!  (Read 1922 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2006 09:19:20 PM »

OK, so I crochet, and I've been trying for 2 years to knit even a swatch, and have failed miserably every time.  So I read up on it and saw a couple of things: That Continental style knitting would be simple for someone who's used to crocheting, and that the best place to learn to knit was the Stitch n Bitch book.  So, after getting the Happy Hooker for mother's day, I loved it enough that I figured I'd get the knitting one and see how I do.  I bought it today, and while I haven't done any actual projects, I have several swatches of even knitting and one of a surprisingly good stockinette stitch.  So I'm all excited, and I really wanted to share with people who would understand, and since I learned from this book, I figured I'd post here.  So, yeah.  WOO-HOO!!!   lol  Projects to come soon!  Probably a scarf, but hey, that's good for me...I'm just happy I'm not dropping stitches!  lol

The funny thing is, no matter what I looked at or who I talked to, I just could not get the process down.  I sat down with this book, and my first swatch was not professional looking, but it didn't look like something a beginner had done.  It was easy.

Yay!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
mander78
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006 12:20:23 PM »

EXCELLENT, congratulations!  You'll be knitting like crazy before no time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006 07:40:00 AM »

Thanks!  Yeah, I'm so excited, I think I've mastered purling now, too...it was REALLY slow going for a while.  So to celebrate, I went out and bought Stitch n Bitch Nation, too.  lol  I think I'm going to make me some beaded skull wristwarmers!  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
Rottie Mom
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006 09:02:15 AM »

Yay!  Congratulations!

I know exactly what you mean 'cause I had been trying to teach myself to knit (I crochet) since last Thanksgiving and absolutely could not get it...until Stitch n Bitch.  I also highly recommend the Yarn Girls books too!

Anyway I know that wonderful "AHA!" feeling!  I am almost done with my first top. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starhistnake
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 09:00:48 AM »

Congrats! 

I only knew the knit stitch, cast on, and bind off until I encountered the Stitch 'N Bitch books.  They were very helpful and I have to admit seeing things I'd actually want to knit was pretty motivating. 

Heh, this is is turning into "Stitch 'n Bitch changed my life".

Enjoy your new skill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krisnotes
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006 08:01:46 AM »

Yay!! I learned to knit on a whim about 2 years ago. I was at the library and saw SnB and laughed and been knitting ever since. As a helping hand and the fact that I can't just do one thing I taught myself crochet (before SnB HH came out) as well. I'm not as good at it as I want to be yet, but I still adore it, too. I was so thrilled to see HH!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
cranberry
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006 01:43:11 PM »

You go, girl.

Stitch and Bitch Knitting really made the knitting 'click' for me. It's a very good reference book, and I remember how I literally glowed when I did my first bind off for my garter stitch scarf.

Soon you'll be knitting up a storm. It's a grand hobby to get into, just grand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Haunted House
How to Make a Pinata
How to Make Bunny Ears
How to Choose the Right Needles for a Knitting Project
How to Turn a Large Sock Into a Tiny Dog Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...