A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby booties that keep the baby booted?  (Read 1258 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2006 06:13:08 PM »

I have a baby bootie pattern that I love: they look great and are easy to whip up. However, after making many pairs as gifts, one mother told me that she can't use them because they fall off the baby's feet (i.e., are totally useless). 

Does anyone have any recommendations for baby bootie patterns that STAY on their little feet? I'm surrounded by babies, and booties are such a nice little gift to whip up that it would be nice to have a pattern for booties that look cute and are actually functional as well.

thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
amey
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006 10:32:17 PM »

There's a "stay on" baby bootie pattern in Knitting for Baby (babies?) by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas.  It uses fine gauge yarn - I think it's knit on 3s?  There's also another pair of beginner booties in that same book.  They both have an i-cord tie that's threaded thru at the ankle and a bit of a cuff.  The beginner booties are closer to worsted weight, I think.  I just knit them with Bernat Denim Style and a size 6 needle, but I didn't check my gauge because, well, they're booties.

I quite like that book - lots of simple, classic designs for baby knitting.

~amey
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006 10:20:27 AM by amey » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tajhia
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 10:48:10 PM »

I have knitted both of these patterns for my children and found that they stay on well

http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/cbbooties.shtml
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-stay-on-booties.html
and what I alsofound workded was that anythihng with a long ankle cuff (maybe knit your pattern longer in that area??) and ankle ties (I know some mums don't like them, but I found with my girls it was the ONLY way to keep their booties on!  just use a nice stretchy yarn and either knit an I cord or crochet a chain rather than a non-stretchy ribbon to tiethem...)

and failing that what about little socks?Huh??  but again make them extra long in the leg so that they don't come off as easily...

but I think with babies and their gorgeous little round feet anything is going to wriggle off eventually..... ie there is no suchthing as a failsafe stay-on bootie........ one solution may be to make more than a pair as a gift?  why not give the mum 3 (or even 4!) matching booties? then it doesn't matter if she looses one - she still has a pairthat matches - and why not do the samewith baby socks....  lets face it - they take no time at all to knit so why not knit several pairs at once to provide her with spares??  (also useful for the foot in the pooey-nappy situation too!) - and anyone who has had a young baby will know about that one....

taj
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit_north
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 11:12:53 PM »

hey bloo

"Better Than Booties Baby Socks"  http://www.interweave.com/knit/projects/gifts.asp - i've made these for a couple friends and they are sooo adorable! their parents love them too (as they don't slip off so easily)

totally love them - except they do take longer to knit than alot of bootie patterns (but not that much really)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006 05:48:57 AM »

Great! thanks everyone! I will check these patterns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006 06:43:55 AM »

ankle ties (I know some mums don't like them, but I found with my girls it was the ONLY way to keep their booties on!  just use a nice stretchy yarn and either knit an I cord or crochet a chain rather than a non-stretchy ribbon to tiethem...)

Would it work to thread a thin elastic where the tie would go? Thin elastic comes in black or white so hopefully you could use one of them and it to be too obvious. Checking out a pair of "socks" at the store would give an idea of how long the elastic should be. A few stitches to tack the ends togehter should hold it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loo
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006 11:07:41 AM »

I've made these bootee several times with great success. http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babybootstwoneedle.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd hate to be the only funny bouncing one in the room."  -Ani Difranco

http://seelooknit.blogspot.com/
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006 01:07:46 PM »

Oh, I like those ones! Kind of a cross between booties and socks, with a tie too- that looks really effective for staying-on power!

I think the problem with the pattern I was using before is that they were too wide at the ankle and thus could slip off way too easily, even when they were tied shut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011 08:51:09 PM »

Necro-posting here, but I've made a couple pairs of those Christine's stay-on baby booties shown at the previously linked fuzzy galore site (and much the same shown with photos at string or nothing). I was wondering if adding a few rounds of ribbing at the ankle might not make them even more likely to stay on. Anyone tried this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011 03:44:07 PM »

Now I'm thinking I might just adapt those Christine's stay-on booties by eliminating the purl welts on the sides of the bootie (i.e., just do all knit rounds), eliminate the eyelet round, and do an extra long ankle cuff as per tajhia's suggestion. It would give a totally different look to the bootie, but what I mostly like about the original pattern is the seamlessness, not the look. I haven't yet had an opportunity to field test the "stay on" part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy, Breezy Mermaid Hair Tutorial
Gold Tipped Braids at Mara Hoffman NYFW 2014
Half Up Bella Thorne Hair Tutorial
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
How to Create Mermaid Curls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...