A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,513
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Betsey dress at the junos  (Read 3162 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

decorated-emergency
« on: June 02, 2006 03:05:55 PM »

okay so i'm in love with this dress:
http://media.fashion18.com//images/Skye.jpg
anyone have an idea how to go about it,ithought maybe if i couldn't find fabric with the ribbon like that i'd sew it on some plain fabric.would it work?where shpuld i start? Undecided Huh

also this is what it looks like without the corset:
http://www.betseyjohnson.com/graphics/products/details/6440_101.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 04:06:41 PM by photojenn - Reason: hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep on rockin'
decorated-emergency
white trash hero
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006 03:53:41 PM »

im not sure that would work..i would say ..

ive seen loads of that fabric in white buy some and dye it yellow!
find a corset tut there are quite a few on there then id do the dress after the corset because you may find that the corset will do alot of the gathering for you without having to sew loads in.
you may need strong tulle and lots of it to accomplish that shape

i dont blame you for loving it its fricking gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 05:50:20 PM »

That is a particular type of fabric.  I think you'll probably find it someplace like Denverfabrics.com  It isn't all that uncommon.  I believe that it is cotton, I don't think it is a blend.  I haven't seen it for a little while although I have some in my stash.  The fabric, just as the picture has a glossy stripe, a dull stripe.

You also might find it at this site (Farmhouse Fabrics).

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Shopper_id=5465541025385465&Store_id=198&Page_Id=17&categ_id=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stereoette
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 07:11:50 PM »

it looks like cotton sateen striped sheets... only... i couldnt find any at a reasonable price.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=108805 was the cheapest, and of course, not in the right yellow... perhaps a more diligent search would give you more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
decorated-emergency
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006 08:43:41 PM »

okay,i'm so stupid,i checked out the betsey site and found out that its striped organza,but does anyone know of a similar pattern?help would be so great thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep on rockin'
decorated-emergency
deathslilsister

elegantly waisted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006 05:17:03 AM »

That's so cute! I love Betsey. Smiley I don't know of a pattern that would work for it off the top of my head, but it looks like you could make adjustments to a regular strapless party dress pattern pretty easily.  The corset is really sweet, too-- if you're not ready for a real corset with boning and a busk and everything, there are lots of costume patterns for corset-y belts. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dharmafey
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006 04:12:56 PM »

Well, looking at the two pictures linked to here, it seems pretty simple....

I would cut a big rectangle of fabric (2-3 times my actual body circumference), probably about as long as I am from bust to the knee,  with the grainline running vertically.  Then I'd sew a panel of the fabric with the grainline running horizontally to the bottom for the contrast panel.  Then I'd sew it into a tube, make a casing and use 3/4" nonrolling elastic for the top.  Cinch it at the waist with a corset as in the first picture (which are really easy to make and don't let them intimidate you) or with a loooong scarf wrapped several times (or just a length of fabric) as in the second picture.

And I agree--cotton sateen.  Maybe you can find a flat sheet at Marshalls/TJ Maxx?  Queen size should do ya, or maybe King for good measure...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006 01:00:28 PM »

just a note on the sheets idea-- that was my first thought when I saw it-- if you have a ross's dress for less nearby, they have them for under $10 usually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
rosetinted
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006 12:50:55 PM »

You know, Skye wore a ton of petticoats under that dress aswell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Twisted Bun Hairstyle
Causes of Thinning Hair
How to Talk to Your Hair Stylist About Thinning Hair
How to Thicken Hair
Hair Care Tips for Women
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...