A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (Now with tutorial!) - SODA/BEER cans - Almost Unlimited Uses! Charms (5 Pics)  (Read 54666 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Audiz

"Autism Awareness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2007 08:53:51 PM »

I'm sorry, I forgot  Sad  I don't have a very good memory - You have a sizzix machine, don't you?

If you do then it should cut through the normal sheets of craft foam fine  Huh  I haven't had any problems?  Are you pulling the handle right down?  Also with tin and foam I don't just pull the handle down once but four or five times.

I hope this helps.  I'd like to see anything you make  Smiley

I hope tonight is better, when I came on to read the post our area had a power failure, the second one yesterday and of course I was in the dark :-P . Tonight everything is running pretty good. 
  Yes, I have a Sizzix machine and I was using the large tag to make the items from.  It cuts thru very good, but I see now that I only cut once maybe twice on each end since it is large, I did push the handle down all the way.  I'll try the four or five times and see how that works :-).
  I like to show, but have no way of posting a picture, computer has problems. I don't have the scanner installed same problem to much space in the computer and the same with the camera.  The only way I can is to take regalur pics and when developed have also put on CD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no wisdom greater than kindness.
Altered Angel

Art Design Jewellery & Gifts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2007 03:09:46 AM »

I think I know what you mean.  The big dies don't fit under the plate that pulls down completely, so I always cut these more than once even with paper.  I usually put them through to the edge, then pull the handle down, move them up to the middle (do it again) and move them up again. (does that make sense?  Cheesy )  With the tins I also pull the handle down more than once in each place, as I said before, it rounds off the edges of the tin nicely  Wink  I hope it works well for you.  I haven't had any problems.

Also Thank you for your kind comments Jan - hope you have fun and find a new use for the sizzix machine.  I've cut loads of different things in mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audiz

"Autism Awareness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2007 07:56:56 AM »

I think I know what you mean.  The big dies don't fit under the plate that pulls down completely, so I always cut these more than once even with paper.  I usually put them through to the edge, then pull the handle down, move them up to the middle (do it again) and move them up again. (does that make sense?  Cheesy )  With the tins I also pull the handle down more than once in each place, as I said before, it rounds off the edges of the tin nicely  Wink  I hope it works well for you.  I haven't had any problems.

Also Thank you for your kind comments Jan - hope you have fun and find a new use for the sizzix machine.  I've cut loads of different things in mine.

I want to Thank you for explaining to me (sometimes I need it knocked into me, LOL!!!!), it does make sense.  I'll be trying again later
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no wisdom greater than kindness.
Altered Angel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2007 08:20:18 AM »

(((You're Welcome!)))  Kiss

Have FUN  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2007 10:42:56 AM »

Hey Altered, I have been playing with the soda cans, so cool! But now I want to branch out, have you done really thick things, like denim or heavy plastics? I am sure it would eat up your dies, but do they even cut those heavy kind of things?  Kiss THanks for getting me hooked on the sizzix!!! I bought it with my 40% off coupon to Michaels, and every SUnday I raid the local Starbucks recycled newpaper bins for their coupons, then I go and buy a new die, come back another day with another coupon (nad sometimes drag DH) and get more goodies... little tip on the coupons; sometimes other craft stores will take each other's coupons... I forget who though, I just start whipping out coupons at the counter and if they don't take it, I leave (I think it was BEn Franklin that I left my stuff at the counter... and I think it is Joann's that takes the coupons, I can't remember exactly!)
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Altered Angel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2007 01:20:16 PM »

Hi Javastain,

Unfortunately I'm in the UK and we don't get coupons for anything here!  Cry  I'm a REAL bargain hunter so just reading your post made me want to move! LOL.  Still I'm sure it will be helpful to other people and you'll have competition at the Starbucks bins now.  Cheesy

So - what will the sizzix cut?  Well, it was designed for scrapbooking and cardmaking, so obviously Paper and card and I s'pose anything else would be irresponsible and I wouldn't advise it at all  Wink Roll Eyes

So don't go trying tin and stuff ok  Grin or foam (obviously as it's on the back of the tin) Denim (I've done that it works fine) felt and other fabrics too, Rubber (now that's fairly thick)

I haven't tried plastic and I'd recommend that you're careful as some with shatter and you don't want a face full of sharp broken plastic bits!

However if it fits under the plate with the die (which obviously it would have to, to cut it) then proceed with caution, whatever 'it' is.  That's what I would do.

BUT the day you break your sizzix machine trying something it WON'T be guaranteed and it WON'T be MY fault  Cheesy

They have just bought out a new model that embosses things too!  Now there's a thought.

Hope this helps?  I'm sure SIZZIX should be paying me LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2007 03:38:45 PM »

Ya that totally helps! I am not  Wink going to take any chances... even though I could get another one at 40% off!!!
I will totally post what I do when I do it!!!
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
MnkyMama
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2007 08:23:36 AM »

for anyone looking for the dies....especially the dog tags..I did a search on ebay and found them for like $10.  Smiley  I am trying to find a sizzix locally through freecycle....lol.....maybe someone has one they don't use...right?  Smiley  After I get it I will probably buy all the dies through ebay....way cheaper!  Smiley 

Oh and these TOTALLY ROCK!  I love them and can't wait to get a machine and try it myself......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rusewcrazy
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2007 03:13:16 PM »

This has been such a great and helpful thread. I don't do much scrapbooking so I've kind of ignored it the past few years. But  I've been kind of obsessed with making tags for totes and things like that I sell, so I got a punch, but it doesn't really work very well. So I was looking at something called the Cricut which does alll sorts of amazing things but it's $300 and the cartridges are expensive. I try to avoid expensive gadgets because I'll never get my money's worth and I'm afraid to break it.

Anyway, I'm kinda obsessed with Sizzix now, especially after reading this thread. According to the Sizzix web site there is something new called a "Bigkick" which seems identical to the Sizzix but bigger? It also says it will cut fabric and other things! Since I lurv to do applique, this would be awesome! Especially if I could find some dies in greek letters because I am starting to get into doing sorority things. (I live in a college town and there is a huge market for sorority/fraternity items).

I went to Michaels today and almost bought one with my coupon but they didn't have ANY dies. Joanns had more but they had marked it down $10 so I could use the coupon. I think I'm going to wait and order the Bigkick off eBay so I can get the really big dies as well.

I can't wait to try this coke can dog tag necklace - I know my daughter will love it!!! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Altered Angel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2007 04:13:13 PM »

rusewcrazy - I have the bigshot as well!!! (which is similar to the bigkick) but not made by sizzix and came out first.  However it cuts the big dies and cuts sizzix dies too!  There are MANY die cutters around to choose from now.  I have FIVE myself  Shocked and have sold TWO!!! (yes I AM greedy!)  I looked at the Cricut when they first came out but firstly I couldn't afford to buy one and also I knew a lot of people that had problems in the beginning learning how to use it (I believe they make DVDs now to teach you?) but I don't have the patience for that!  It's very good if you want to make your own shapes I believe and you know how to use one but I've never tried it myself.

I HAVE tried lots though  Wink and they ALL have their plus and minus points and of course it depends what you want to use it for, which would be 'best' - a lot of websites have this debate 'which is the best die cutter?'

'Personally' my first die cutter was the sizzix and it's STILL the one I get most use from.

Oh just out of interest I have never seen greek letter die cutters  Undecided  That doesn't mean they don't exist of course but I think I'm a 'craft junkie' enough to have at least 'heard' of them if they're out there?  I expect the cricut is something that could make them if any can but I can't speak for that one as I don't have one.  However, again it depends what you want to use it for, because to my knowledge it will only cut paper and thin card (somebody correct me if I'm wrong?)

Hope this has been helpful?  Thanks for your post and I hope you get something soon that you're happy to play with.  Wink

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Five Fall Denim Trends
How to Make a Personalized Apron With Elmo
How to Care For Leather Shoes
Akademiks Clothing Promo
Heloise Models Swimwear for BlackBook
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...