A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,511
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: long winded cake story, with pics  (Read 901 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dasyatis

heck yeah! let's dance!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2006 12:26:53 PM »

the transition to grad school was really rough for my cohort- there just didn't seem to be a lot of support for us when we got to school, and the first class we had to take (during a summer session no less) was the toughest course required for our degrees, marine biogeochemistry (there were many, many other issues, but i won't get into them here). by the end of the summer, we were all burnt out on class work, frustrated with our burgeoning research projects, and annoyed with our professors. my roommate at the time declared that we needed a "you-don't-suck" cake- something she had done once, when life had kinda run her over a bit. it sounded fantastic, so we ordered one:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4275/1409/1600/august%202005%20012.jpg

it was the exact thing we all needed, to distract us from work and help us realize that we had all gotten through biogeochem just fine.

yesterday, almost a year after the cake-y awesome-ness, one of my friends who has been having a rough time randomly mentioned that she needed another you-don't-suck cake- so when home that day, using aoi's super fantastic little felt cake tutorial (see http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=26836.0) i made her this:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4275/1409/1600/IMG_4610.jpg

teehee!!! so silly, but so awesome...i'm actually really proud of it because this is the first real attempt at embroidery i've made, and it worked! she really liked it, too, and it is sitting proudly on a shelf at eye level at her desk, so she can turn and see it for inspiration and reassurance anytime she needs it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011 07:27:25 PM by LimeRiot - Reason: tried to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

if mame was right and life really is a banquet, then i think i'm on a diet...totally against my will.

bloggy goodness
http://ludmilla42.blogspot.com/
neko neko kitty
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006 12:34:50 PM »

I think I need a You Don't Suck cake. Your little one is so cute! Good job on the embroidery  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 01:01:08 PM »

That's just an awesome idea.  I might have to make one for myself.  I wonder how long it would take to make one for all the grad students in my department...  probably too long.  Maybe I could make one for each lab... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Outfit Inspirations from Malibu, California
3 Travel Outfits from the Isle of Man
100 Best Little Black Dresses of 2014
5 Celebrity Style Inspritations For The Holidays
3 Ways to Wear A/W Knits
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...