A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do i make a toe up heel?  (Read 332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockadot
« on: June 06, 2006 08:09:14 PM »

I want to make the Hedra or Pomatomus socks from the last two issues of knitty, but I want to do them toe-up. I've knit a pair of toe-up socks before (Badcauls) but I didn't like the heel.

Does anyone have any tips on turning a cuff-down pattern into a toe-up pattern? And are there any alternative heel methods?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fozziebear54
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 09:02:33 PM »

How was the heel in the other toe-up socks done? Short row, heel flap, or something else entirely?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockadot
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 09:28:58 PM »

It was a short row heel with "wrap and turn"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fozziebear54
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 11:29:38 PM »

I don't really like short row heels much either. Something about them simply doesn't look right, at least when I do them. I think I just need to practice more, though.

Here is a pattern for a toe up sock that uses a basic heel flap. The pattern is for two circular needles, but it doesn't really matter if you're doing this with magic loop or DPNs instead; the instructions generally stay the same. If either Hedera or Pomatomus use a different number of stitches, you can account for that as well by looking at the proportions of the heel numbers to the number of total stitches, and using the proportions to do the heel on the other sock.

Also, this website has a few different heel flap variations for toe up (and cuff down!) socks. The toe up information is toward the bottom of the page.

And for taking a cuff down pattern and knitting it toe up, usually you can just reverse the instructions. (You'd probably end up with a mirror image of the original sock, I think.) For example, in Hedera you could start knitting the sock starting from row 1 of the pattern, doing the pattern repeat across the top of the foot and stockinette on the bottom. Pomatomus, I think you'd start with chart B on the foot, and then move to chart A on the leg. I've never knit either of these socks, though, so maybe someone who has could shed some light on if that would work or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockadot
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006 09:02:57 AM »

Thanks!! So many methods to choose from...looks like I've got some reading to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fozziebear54
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006 10:02:45 AM »

You're welcome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Screenwriting Card Trick
How to Have Good Audition Etiquette
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...