A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Make Your Own Patterns???  (Read 1976 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hokiekate
« on: June 01, 2006 07:49:05 PM »

I have a feeling this has been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I've taken several books out of the library on making stuffed toys and they do a fine job of showing me how to make toys from a pattern, but don't suggest how you would go about making your own patterns.  I'm having a hard time trying to visualize something in 3D and then drawing the patterns in 2D.  Can anyone who makes their own patterns give suggestions, tips, etc??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006 01:19:08 AM »

I'd love to know the same thing!  I've only started making soft toys, but really I want to design and make my own original ones as opposed to those in books etc...  I figured I'd just try and make lots from the books and then once I had some understanding of how soft toy patterns work to make the shapes etc., I would gradually be able to start working out my own.

I guess you could start by altering the patterns in books, and just keep altering and altering and experiment.

And trial and error I think is the key.

But then, I don't know, I haven't made any totally original patterns yet, just altered.

Edit:  I started this thread but alas, no replies!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006 01:23:53 AM by Bond Girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
sarah-

Feeling the need to crochet...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 01:57:06 AM »

I'm unsure if there is anywhere that actually shows you or explains how to make your own patterns.

I have just recently began to create my own patterns for toys and I agree that it seems to be a lot of trial and error.

For my first one I just sketched out a rough pattern on paper on how I thought the pieces should be. Then I tried it out on some material, you soon realise where you need to change bits.

On my first try of my pattern I realised that I'd made the cat head heavy and the front legs were all pointy and sorter then the back legs so wouldn't stand up.
So now that I have changed it a bit I'm happier with the results and have drawn up the pattern properly on the computer.

I think you should just look at other patterns and the pieces they need and then have a try at your own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah -

http://www.wists.com/sarah-
teamo.etsy.com - Miniature bears now available!

I'd love to do a personal swap! - PM me!
Bond Girl
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 06:28:39 PM »

Yeh, I've seen quite a few short course around for pattern making for clothing, but none for soft toys! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
Sheep_need_sweaters2

Dancin' with my Gnomies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 09:50:50 AM »

stupid sock creatures gives some good techniques for making your own, and not necessarily with socks, any pattern you make can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be.

For instance, if you want your little guy or gal to have dimension in the face, rather than do a front shape pattern, do a profile and sew those together instead. (If i'm being unclear i could make some picture examples) arms would be the same way, you can scale it all out on your own on cardstock or computer paper. I'd use a similar pattern for refrence to start but if you've constructed teddy bears, you can kinda see where I'm getting at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arthur: Ford?
Ford: Yeah?
Arthur: I think I'm a sofa...
Ford: [pause] I know how you feel...
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006 11:32:44 AM »

A friend of mine (who's so damn tallented she makes me jelous) has an interesting way of making plushie patterns:  First, she makes about half the plush (ie an arm, leg, half a head) out of paper, by piecing bits together and taping a lot to get the shape she wants.  Then, she'll cut it up in places she thinks a seam can go, and cut darts in places that need to be flattened, until she has flat pattern pieces.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
sewing stars
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006 11:36:31 AM »

i think it takes lots of practice, and experimentation. but when i want to make a new pattern of say an animal, i will look up lots of pictures of the animal from different angles to figure out what the basic shapes are.

also, there are main shape 'recipes' that can be altered to make a new pattern, and usually i try to stick to 2 or 3 piece parts. like a body can be made from 2 pieces, for a flatter look (when the seam runs around the outline), or three pieces can make it more dimentional (like say a gusseted teddy bear head).

for me, i looked at all sorts of patterns, trying to see how sewing those pieces makes a certain shape and then imagine how to alter it in a way that will make a shape i are looking to make...

i don't know if that is at all helpful...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
mrspilkingtonknits
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006 07:57:14 AM »

I have some great books on making your own toy patterns.  I think the best is "The Techniques of Soft Toymaking" by Enid Anderson.  There are also "Design Your Own Stuffed Toys" by Anne Dyer, and "How To Make and Design Stuffed Toys" by Rudi de Sarigny.  They're older, so it can take a while to find them used, but they may also be available at your library.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006 07:37:11 PM »

I have been making my own patterns to make cloth dolls for about 6 years.  To make your own patterns is a lot a trial and error.   
I suggest that you try with some patterns designed by other people first, once you understand how the shape of the pattern piece fits into the doll or toy,  then you can start designing your own.  But even then it still trial and error

When I am trying something new I always make it up in cheap fabric, (homespun/ muslin)  so that I can see how it will turn out.  Draw your pattern on paper.  Cut your pattern pieces on cheap fabric.  Sew the pieces together and stuff it.  If it works then you don't need to adjust your pattern.
If you are not happy with it,  work out what is wrong, make the appropriate adjustments on your pattern and make another out of the cheap fabric.  Keep doing this until you happy with the results.  Once you have something that you are happy with then you can make it again and again because you have the pattern. 

Always keep your original pattern pieces as you can do changes of posture based on your original pattern.  I alway photocopy my originals and do the adjustments on the copies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
Bambridge Bears

The windows of the soul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006 04:01:10 PM »

Well I have this link http://www.rotraud-ilisch.de/Pages/bearproportions.html

and it may give some idea on how to turn a 3d figure into a 2d figure.  It really does help and there are quite a few books around to help.
Prtotypes are always a good thing, says she who is making a sheep without one  Roll Eyes
But I have many a creation thsat are given to kids who love them anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ursula Le Guin Discusses Lord of the Rings
Ursula Le Guin on Writing for Teens
Ursula Le Guin on Writing Earthsea as a Series
Ursula Le Guin on Her Favorite Childhood Books
Ursula Le Guin on the Influence of the Earthsea Series
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...