A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help, need ideas for summer class for kiddies  (Read 417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Heatherfeather
Sorry Johnny, I can't go out tonight, I'm too busy getting revenge!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2006 06:31:52 PM »

So I've got 3, 4, 5, and 6+ kids to keep busy with for two hrs a day with crafts. But some of the themes my boss choose are really........general, that we have no idea what to do. I'm looking for somthing that will keep the fingers busy, and learn a cool different new project without the risk of somone wanting to eat a bead or get a tanturm because they cannot finish the project. So if anyone has any simple ideas, I'd be really blessed! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmi
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 07:39:34 PM »

do you have acess to an oven/toaster oven??

...SHRINKY DINKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HarnessedEarth

I wonder what that would look like polished?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006 08:53:46 PM »

I always loved sculpting clay as a kid. I think I was around 5-6 when I made an elephant with a harmonica in his trunk standing on a podium on one foot. At least that is what I remember it looking like...It 'sploded in the kiln  Shocked

Let them sculpt whatever their imagination produces. Find kiln access and fire for them. ( have some pre-cast and fired pieces on standby in case some 'splode   Wink  )

Then they can paint them. The older kids could learn how to dry brush while the younger lot make theirs very colorful  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjm
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 09:36:45 PM »

Just spent the day at a pre-school outing.  The kids got to make their own nursery ryhme book.  They had 4 pictures of old nursery rhymes (little bopeep, humpty dumpty....)...the actual pictures were done on a full size sheet of paper...but the top half was the "page", the bottom half was the pieces that you were going to color and glue to the top half page (like bopeep's skirt and hat).  They used one piece of construction paper....let the child choose the color....fold that in half, insert the pages, punch two holes through construction paper and four sheets, and weave either thin ribbon or yarn through the holes, tie it off and the book is assembled.  Let the child decorate the front of the book.  The kids had a blast with it (3, 4, 5, and 6 year olds).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Heatherfeather

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006 11:22:56 AM »

Grin Ohhh okay I like these..........especiallly the book one. Could make a giant paper book for the kiddies.

As for having access to a toaster....I doubt it because these will take place outside, so no outlets etc.

Some of themes my partner and I are having trouble with is "Bright Smiles" and "Hippy Hop". We also have one called "Spin Painting" but we're using that crappy spinner-thingy from a box. Its old and messy. Anyone think of a better/easier way to spin paint for kids???

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006 11:57:09 AM »

Felting soap would be good. But make sure you get mini bars of soap for their little hands.

Anything that requires them to cut and paste is always fun.

Glitter is good. Glitter is great.

When I was a Head Start teacher....before the chicken pox vaccine....when the class got down to about 10 I would let them use real tools and build stuff. If my 3, 4, and 5 year olds could do it I bet your's could too! Then you can paint the project.

Crayon resist is always my favorite.  Color a piece of paper completely in crayon using tons of colors and press really hard! This is a good way to use up the stubby end of crayons that kids don't like. Then cover the colors in black paint then scrape out a picture with something sharp-ish. A pen that clicks open but use it not open can work or a paper clip if you don't press too hard and rip the paper. Anything sharp enough to scrape off the black paint ans expose the crayon below. Basically you will draw by scraping off the black paint.

A twist on that concept is to draw a picture in crayon then paint over it in water down water colors or tempura paint. Under water, sea creatures and fish work great for this technique.

Get some shells and glue them on anything.

You could mosaic. Break up some thrift store plates or plates the parents or staff want to get rid of and mosaic mirrors or trivets (just put it on squares of wood). Kids love to grout! It is so messy! This one, like using tool requires extremely close supervision to make sure the kids don't get hurt.

Put a bunch of shaving cream on the table and let the kids finger paint in it. They won't have anything to take home but they love doing it! It is so messy but clean at the same time. There might be some problem with this one but I can't remember what it is.  I'm sure if there is a problem with the chemicals in shaving cream or something someone will post it. But I did it years ago and the kids loved it.

Make pipe cleaner jewelery.  I did it for craft challenge 12.

Check out the entries for craft challenge 12 there are tons of ideas you can adapt for kids there!

A teacher tip for you...if you put just a bit, a table spoon or so, of powdered laundry detergent in the tempera paint it will wash out of clothing so MUCH easier!  You'll still have a problem with red but even red will wash out much better with the bit of powder laundry detergent mixed in there!

I'm sure I'll think of more. Art projects were my favorite part of teaching! I'll post more when I think of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heatherfeather

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006 06:53:35 AM »

Oh I like those! Very nice! I did find a few ideas searching all over on here. Hopfully the kids will like.
I think the mosaic one will work for bright smiles. The kids could make smiles outta glass chips or maybe some plastic pieces etc. for the Bright Smiles theme.
Oh yes I also saw your Chanel outfit that you did! I'm telling you, that is AMAZING! and I LOVED the pot holders idea! I was wondering if you couuld tell me how I could make some faux-Chanel pot holders??? My grandmother and I both LOOOOVEEE Chanel!!!
But you did a wonderful job it, so amazing! You could maybe do somthing with Dior next possibly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006 07:18:49 AM »

Oh I like those! Very nice! I did find a few ideas searching all over on here. Hopfully the kids will like.
I think the mosaic one will work for bright smiles. The kids could make smiles outta glass chips or maybe some plastic pieces etc. for the Bright Smiles theme.
Oh yes I also saw your Chanel outfit that you did! I'm telling you, that is AMAZING! and I LOVED the pot holders idea! I was wondering if you could tell me how I could make some faux-Chanel pot holders??? My grandmother and I both LOOOOVEEE Chanel!!!
But you did a wonderful job it, so amazing! You could maybe do something with Dior next possibly.

Thanks! I just followed the directions that came with the pot holders and made a TON of pot holders following that pattern!  Two loops one color then two loops another color then the same pattern woven in the other direction.  See the fourth and fifth photos in my post. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16739012.0 That is the pattern to get this plaid. I didn't show them half way woven but that is the pattern.

Dior? Hmmm I'll have to research that one! I'm all about the Kitschy Couture now!

What other themes do you have to incorporate besides bright smiles? When I taught we had theme based lessons so I got good at creating fun activities based on themes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heatherfeather

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006 11:34:59 AM »

What other themes do you have to incorporate besides bright smiles? When I taught we had theme based lessons so I got good at creating fun activities based on themes.

Well the ones my partner and I that are having trouble on are the: "Bright Smiles", Wire Creatures, Hippy Hop, Sing a Song Day, and Bring Your Favorite Toy.

My boss made all these themes up. Clearly she wasn't really thinking it through that somone else would have to come up with somthing for the kids to mastermind quickly. Eck.

Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjm
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006 07:26:08 PM »

For the bright smiles, instead of using glass, you could use busted up blank cds....no cut fingers that way!  And they're very inexpensive...if you watch for sales...$5 for 50.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Halloween Yard Critters
How to Draw a Face Using Just White Color
Use a Dome Round Brush to Paint Highlights
How to Draw Cartoons Using Basic Letters
How to Draw a Mouse Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...