A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cigar Boxes  (Read 2238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2006 06:10:38 PM »

I recently acquired some awesome cigar boxes from a grocery store. At the service counter where they sell cigarettes, alcohol etc. they have boxes of cigars and after they all sell, they just throw out the boxes. Some of them are nice wood ones. If you're interested, you might want to ask about it at your local grocery store.

I'm thinking they'll be nice to paint up and possibly give as gifts with home made sets of paper or something else. I haven't tried getting the smell out yet though, so any ideas would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
katebug48
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 07:30:41 PM »

We have quite a few 'smoke shops' in the next town over from me, and I've been tempted to ask them if they would get rid of their cigar boxes.

I just don't know exactly how to ask  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 06:22:15 PM »

We have quite a few 'smoke shops' in the next town over from me, and I've been tempted to ask them if they would get rid of their cigar boxes.

I just don't know exactly how to ask  Undecided

I'd just put it nice and simply, "If you're planning on throwing away any empty cigar boxes, I'd love to take them off your hands"
I'm sure they wouldn't mind, you could mention something about recycling. Who doesn't like recycling? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 06:53:16 PM »

I haven't tried getting the smell out yet though, so any ideas would be appreciated!
[/quote

Try stuffing them with newspaper, if it works for smelly  Huh shoes, it should work for cigar boxes. Lucky find for you way to recycle. d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006 12:52:44 AM »

I think baking soda would help alot in removing the smell. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thiticalcrinking
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006 10:20:53 PM »

So we really only have like two tobacco shops where I live and both of them have a similar practice with old cigar boxes.

One stacks them in the corner and every cigar box is $1.00 whether it's small/big/paper/wood.

The other cigar store keeps their boxes in this sketchy room near the back and they charge $0.50 for paper cigar boxes and $1.00 for wood boxes.

So it's not free but it's pretty darn cheap, and they have some really awesome boxes out there if you hunt to the bottom of the huge four foot stacks.

I really wouldn't be afraid of asking them if they have any empty cigar boxes you could have (most places I have tried when I have been out of town have been very friendly and I've only ever been to one place where they didn't have a set practice--some do give them away for free so always ask!).  I've also seen some unfinished cigar boxes in craft stores selling for one to three dollars.  I don't think it is nearly as fun as reconstructing something that was actually used for cigars and a lot of the cigar boxes have some really cool labels/borders you can use in your design.

For the smell, you could try overpowering it with something citrus-y like placing an orange/lemon peel/oil or using a product like orange glo.  I wonder if you can Febreze wood!  A trick I was taught for smelly shoes is placing half of a bounce dryer sheet in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenefor
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006 10:26:02 PM »

I have got some at local smoke shops...they usually just have them all stacked and priced. I haven't really done anything for the smell aside from letting them air out in the sun and just take their time...after a bit they don't smell anymore Smiley...of course if you want to use them quick that wont help Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherrymonkett
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006 11:01:09 PM »

Yea I went and checked out some smoke shops about a year ago and they wanted to charge me $6 or more , you can get them cheaper off of Ebay also if they're big enough you should make jewelry boxes or purses, or even memorablilia box for you or a friend. i helped my niece make one with pictures of her family and then covered it with decopauge for her mother on her birthday it was so sweet. anyways good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006 08:15:20 AM »

Wowza, 6 dollars for a cigar box...

A dollar sounds reasonable ^.^ I would pay it, I love decorating them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strutter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006 07:53:57 AM »

I think that I should ask for cigar box or something... I like finding boxes and stuff-but don't really use 'em yet. A cigar box would be cool to be paint and really decorate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Play Craps
How to Make Money at Slots
How to Play Roulette
The Amazing Cash Cube
Sports Betting Advice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...