A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,852
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cortex, the Illithid (with tute)  (Read 12043 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2006 04:46:51 PM »

Meet Cortex, the illithid. Illithids, or "mind flayers", are strange beings with advanced mental and magical abilities who devour the brains of other sentient creatures.

He burrowed up out of his hideous underground chambers and he's been telling me all about it ever since.
Well, that was until this happened:

And the promised tutorial! He was surprisingly easy to make; that's why my dear knight of steel suggested him. Well, that and I needed something to do with all that purple fabric!

His head is basically a stuffed diamond shape with the top slightly rounded. Then you just sew on two circles of black fabric for his eyes and gather the fabric around the eyes (along the red dotted lines) to give him a horrible, shrivelled face. Grin

Next, make a big tube (just a rectangle folded over sewn up around the edges), stuff it and sew it to the bottom of his head, where his neck would join on.
Then make four thinner tubes for his suckers in the same way and sew them onto his face where his mouth would be.

His body's almost done! Now make four medium-size tubes for his arms and legs and more little tubes for his long fingers. If you like you can put little non-fraying fabric triangles for claws on the end of them.

His body's done now, but we can't have him wandering around the illithid laboratories naked... Grin
Cut out two semicircles of the fabric you're using for the robe; this will be the collar. Sew them right sides together and turn them inside out.
(If it's the sort of fabric that flops too much, you could glue a piece of thin card between the two pieces or use interfacing on it. If it's the sort of fabric that bulges a lot, you could sew a few lines from the centre of the semicircle to the edge.)

Then cut a long rectangle, as wide as you need to go around his body (leave a bit of allowance for a big, flowing robe) and as long as it needs to be to come down to his feet. Cut two armholes in it.
(This is easier if you wrap the fabric around him and mark on it where the arms will go.)

Cut out two long rectangles for sleeves (as long as his arms - longer, if you like - and as wide as the armholes you've cut with a little extra left over) and sew each one around each armhole, right sides together as per usual.
You should now have a very stylish little coat, but it's missing a collar; put the straight side of the semicircle you made against the top of the robe and sew along it. The just flip up the collar so it stands up.

Put the robe on your illithid and secure it in whatever way you like. You could use buttons, lacing or a little sash, like I did.
And there you go; your own illithid! Just make sure you're wearing a hat when you give him a hug...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 10:03:06 PM »

DUDE. Please marry me. Thank you.

<3 <3 <3 <3 illithids. I'm GOING to play an alhoon in a game one day, damnit. I swear. Illithid+lich? HECK YES.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 12:17:56 AM »

That'd be steel!
I want to role-play an illithid one day. Or possibly a drow. I haven't decided. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006 05:33:39 PM »

Drow are fun, until towns start attacking you....The whole cape/cowl thing doesn't seem to work well, either...

Best part was that it was a homebrew world, where drow aren't typical underdark denizens...elves are elves. Of course, the elves had tried to assasinate the king, and I was one of 2 good guys trying to keep him alive. A drow druid. With a monkey companion Cheesy

No, I don't obsess much... Why you ask?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006 01:21:31 PM »

Ooh, monkey companion, eh? Nice! In Baldur's Gate, the only familiar I ever got was a little faerie dragon...
I've never played as a druid in D&D myself. I have done in CRPGs but not in pen-and-paper games, although to be fair I've only just joined the local group and they gave me a Rogue at first.
I was so lucky; I had to move school and I found out that there was a wargaming club at my new one. The best bit is there are about fifteen lads, half of whom are pretty damn hot, and I'm the only girl there.
Well, actually, no, the best bit is that their favourite game to play while they're waiting for the club to start is getting one of them into a corner and all piling on top of him. And I get to watch. Grin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006 01:23:53 PM by Kuolema Nox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006 03:48:37 PM »

Aw, thanks muchly! Grin

Cortex is an illithid; they're monsters in Dungeons and Dragons (D&D for short), possibly the greatest, geekiest game ever invented. You can do and be pretty much anything in it.

You can find out a bit more about it and play a short demo' to get the hang of it here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/whatisdnd
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006 11:10:34 PM »

Aw. My games master wouldn't let me be an illithid or a drow. I suppose I can't blame him really, seeing as everyone would attack me. Including the party. "We're not having any filthy drow in our party!" as one of my chums said. Grin
Well, to be fair, I never really got the chance to ask him if I could be an illithid, seeing as it all went like this:
Me (beguilingly): Siiiiimon... can I be a drow?
Him: ...No, you can't be a drow! It wouldn't be fair on the others in the competition if you were something you can't choose on the list.
(Some time later)
Me: Siiiiimon... Can I be an Avariel?
Him: No, you're just a normal half-elf, Emily.
(Some time later)
Me: Siiiimon...
Him: NO!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006 11:20:40 PM by Kuolema Nox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006 05:08:35 AM »

I never get to be an illlithid, either. ;_; Maybe if I didn't want to be a lich, too, I could talk my usual DM into it...
I did get to be a drow celric of Elistree one time, though--but that was a whole underdark campagin.
I also once got to play a warforged DRUID! it was so awesome. It added a certain air of "WTF?" to our party--which also included a lizard folk riding around on an alligator. We were not a terribly charasmatic party.

In slightly less geeky, more crafty news, thanks to your wonderful tute I have a half finished mind flayer somewhere! Eventually I'll get back to sewing tentacles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006 10:48:31 PM »

Oooh, epic! Please post pic's when you're done; Cortex doesn't get to meet many fellow illithids here on the surface. Grin

Your party sounds great. We sometimes do pretty crazy stuff but it's usually related to the encounter rather than the party. Depends on who's DMing, though. Most of the guys will try to put anything in as long as it works in the ruleset.
"Right, you open the beer keg... and a water mephit jumps out! What're you going to do?"
"DRINK IT! I came here for a drink and I'm not leaving without one!"
"...Er... okay! Fortitude save to make sure you don't sick it up."
"I want to turn it yellow!"
"Urrrgh!"
(I look at his character sheet.)
"You're female, you can't aim!"
"Urrrrrrrrgh!"

et cetera et cetera
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006 03:03:11 PM »

i love it!!!  Don't forget the accessories-every mind flayer should come with a straw. Smiley Geeks rule! Have to ask-anyone ever play T & T?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Narciso Rodriguez Fall 2014 NY Fashion Wk Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Pick the Right Foundation Color
How to Contour
Gretchen Rossi Shows You How to Get a Perfect Eye Shadow Look
Household Items That Can Be Used As Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...