A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,485
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yet another rad pillowcase skirt! this time a la egypt. ~tutorial added~  (Read 19180 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2004 05:51:01 PM »

My sewer's block finally sort of broke yesterday and, inspired by the miserable heat, i turned another hapless pillowcase into a not-quite-so-ordinary pleated skirt with a somewhat ancient egyptian twist.

i was REALLY tempted to leave that panel ankle-length but my spontaneous sense of practicality won out over my pure aesthetic.

in case you can't tell, i made this like any other pleated skirt but had the ends of the pleated part stop in the center front, then used the other half of the pillowcase band for the panel. and added more sexy zipper action. if that made absolutely no sense i'll be happy to have more fun with my paint program.

~EDIT~ tutorial fun with crappy paint program illustrations.  Grin

aaaand a closeup of the final skirt for detail-viewing purposes:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2004 03:23:02 PM by juniperl13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
EnchantedSushi
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004 06:01:55 PM »

Ohhh, I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004 06:48:03 PM »

That is very unique!! Smiley Did you hem it or did you just serge it or something? Is that a stuffed animal or a real one? Anyway, that's cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ldpaulson
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004 07:45:15 PM »

Excellent job. But why are The Bangles singing in my head? ; )

BTW ... what's the story on the top? It really makes the look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeliss737
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004 08:02:05 PM »

PAINT PAINT PAINT! SO cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janie00
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004 09:08:26 PM »

really cute! i may be REALLY behind... sry, but i dont even know how to pleat a skirt Embarrassed, yeah i kno i kno... could some1 possibly explain it 4 me.. SLOW and CLEAR lol... i get confused easily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when i grow up, i'm going to Aristasia to wear full length velvet gowns to cocktail parties.
ldpaulson
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004 08:55:03 AM »

janie:

If you've ever made a folded fan from a sheet of paper, then you can pleat. All you're doing is folding the fabric to give it dimension. The concept is the same as folding, except fabric is a different texture than paper and you need some help to make it stay creased. There are a lot of different types of pleating. It's not a bad idea to practice whatever you want to do on paper, then take the idea to fabric.

Once you're ready to start, it's good to have a hot iron and a lot of pins handy. If you wanted to make your pleats crisp once you were happy with them and ready to baste, having some spray starch on hand might not be a bad idea. It's probably a good idea to iron and pin, baste, iron again, then take it to the sewing machine for stitching. At least that's what I'd do. The basting would be a must to make sure those pleats stayed where they were supposed to be.

If you have anything pleated in your closet, it's not a bad idea to pull it out and take notes with a measuring tape in hand  See how it was done, what measurements were used, what you like and don't like. etc. Or go tothe fabric store, find a pattern with pleats that you like and see if the instructions have a basic tutorial on pleats that you can read. THREADS is a great magazine every library in the nation *should* carry, and they have a lot of articles on techniques. I'm sure they've done one on pleating.

Hope this makes more sense to you, even without photos.

ldp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candace
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004 01:17:06 PM »

soo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004 02:43:06 PM »

coolbeans> it's overedged (my non-serger's version of serging) and that's a Very old stuffed animal

ldp> the top is just out of my wardrobe. one of the only braless shirts i can wear!  Grin because a bra was NOT happening yesterday.

janie> how to pleat:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=3372;start=0
but my pleats all go one way

give me a couple minutes to paint this out and i'll post you an "oh my god that's so SIMPLE" tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
ldpaulson
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004 06:49:14 PM »

>>> ldp> the top is just out of my wardrobe. one of the only braless shirts i can wear!   because a bra was NOT happening yesterday. <<<

That's what I need to find. Most of those one-shoulder jobbies I've seen in the stores are made out of thin, crappy knit that requires a good strapless bra. Still looking.

ldp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Relish Cooking Show Kinston Highlights
A Visit to Chef and the Farmer Restaurant
The North Carolina Relish Expo
Sioux City Jam Preserves
Grilling Tools from Sioux City
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...