A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
816 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Large Skull Purse  (Read 3218 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amethyst
« on: June 01, 2006 10:19:38 AM »

I was going to put this in the Happy Hooker forum, since the chart/instructions for the skull design is in Debbie Stoller's crochet book. But since this is a purse and not potholders, I thought I'd put it here. Smiley

This is a commision piece for my sister, who flipped through the Happy Hooker book with me but couldn't decide on any of the purses there. She wanted a bigger purse, with skulls, rings at the straps, and a pocket. (There's a skein of yarn in the bag in the middle picture. The other two are with an empty bag.)

http://denise.schanberger.org/images/skull2.jpg

The bag is 16" (40cm) wide and 12.5" (32cm) high, with a 32" (81cm) strap (not including the half-circle rings, which add another inch each side). The strap has black embroidery thread weaved on the inside to prevent stretching (3 strands, middle and sides). Edit: The embroidery thread snapped when there was too much weight in the bag. It's probably a good idea for a small purse, but not a bag this big. So I'm going to put ribbon there, instead.

http://denise.schanberger.org/images/skull1.jpg

I made the skulls using the Skullholder pattern, and then sewed them together (8 rectangles in all, 4 skulls per side). If I make this bag again, I'll do it in a round so I don't have to do all that sewing. The yarn is Bernat Camouflage in acrylic with Bernat White "satin" acrylic for the skulls. The pictures are a little dark despite brightening, but the camouflage is black, brown, dark green and light green.  

http://denise.schanberger.org/images/skulllining.jpg

The lining is chocolate brown, and the zipper is a darker brown jacket zipper, 40cm. There's also a pocket that can fit business cards, guitar picks, keys, lipgloss, and other little things. She saw it before I added in the lining and loved it, so I'm hoping she still loves it now that it's finished.

It took 1 full 170g skein of Camouflage plus some of a second, and 1 full 100g/166 yd skein of white plus a little from a second. So now I have a lot of leftover Camouflage and white, and lots of that lining left since she bought more than I asked her to. I'm not sure what else to do with the Camouflage.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012 09:16:00 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krisnotes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 11:53:42 AM »

That is so cool!!! Looks great. Make her a matching hat with the leftovers?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
CrazeeMoi
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006 12:07:02 PM »

wow  just  wow lol        that is so kool looking!                maybe make fingerless gloves or even just wrist bands with the leftovers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006 01:05:43 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

The hat is a good idea, though I'm not sure if she'll wear fingerless gloves. Maybe the wristbands. I could make a headband, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoxZ

Getting my stitch on!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006 02:44:23 PM »

Awesome!  I'm almost finished with a bag I've been working on and the scariest thing for me will be lining it.  You've done a beautiful job of stitching and lining yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my blog for my current ATC's up for swap~
http://crookedhook.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/MoxZ -
squambo

Squambo, the Batt Woman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006 02:45:44 PM »

That's cool -- sort of an anti-war purse?

I made those skull potholders but they turned out way too big, so I'm putting them together to make a small purse.

Question:  What did you mean by weaving in the black embroidery thread on the straps?  How does that work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amethyst
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006 04:13:28 PM »

That's cool -- sort of an anti-war purse?

I made those skull potholders but they turned out way too big, so I'm putting them together to make a small purse.

Question:  What did you mean by weaving in the black embroidery thread on the straps?  How does that work?

Hmm, not really anti-war. I guess it could be considered that, though. I just hadn't thought of it.

The weaving is really simple. Sewing might be a better word. Attach the embroidery thread to the ring, then use a yarn needle to sew under the horizontal lines of crochet that appear on the inside/back of the strap. Stoller calls them dashes in her book. Go under those in a straight line all the way across, then attach again. If you don't have a ring, go all the way to the bottom of the purse and attach at the bottom. I don't have time to take a picture now, so if you don't understand, let me know and I'll make a diagram or take a picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006 05:50:24 AM »

Who-ho! Awesome with that tied-dyed yarn for the backgrund of the good ol skullmotif! Your purse is sooo great. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
Amethyst
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006 07:31:49 AM »

Well, so much for the embroidery thread. My sister accidentally snapped it when she put too much stuff in the purse.  Tongue She's going to get some black ribbon and I'm going to use that instead.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006 09:48:21 AM »

Quite nice..saw one made in black with green skull at a NIN concert! Made into a purse, a single square. That'd be quick...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Japanese Snail Beauty Treatment
DIY Cinnamon and Honey Mask For Acne
Self-Tanning at Home With the "Shower Tan"
How to Apply New Benefit Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer
Adam Levine Proactiv+
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...