A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let Them Eat Cake! Just Not This One... *Now With Tutorial*  (Read 47033 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shortestkitty
Wootage.

Ghost ride your whip.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2006 08:25:44 AM »

I was inspired by all the cake-themed crafts around here and whipped this up. I made it out of ultrasuede intending it to be a pincushion, but when I tried to stick in the inaugural pin, it bent!  Shocked

So it isn't a pincushion, just a stuffed slice of cake. The bf thinks it's kind of silly, but I think it's kind of cute  Cheesy If I make another, I might use high-density foam instead of polyfill to give it a sharper look.

Okay, so here's a simple tutorial:

These are my pattern pieces, to give you an idea of how they should look. Below are the measurements for each piece. ***NOTE: These are measurements before seam allowance!! I added 1/4" seam allowance to each piece, but add whatever is comfortable/ fabric appropriate for you.

A: 6" along each side of the wedge and a free-handed curve. To make it, I drew a straight line with another line perpendicular to it. Mark on the perpendicular line 1" away from the intersection on either side. Place you ruler on that new mark and carefully swing it until it is touching both the mark and the original line, creating a line 6" in length. Mark that new line and repeat on the other side. I then carefully free-handed the curve, approximating how big it should be my calculating the circumference of a circle this size and dividing based on how many slices I imagined there to be. This probably is not necessary. Best to just free-hand a nice curve.

B: 2" x 1.5" This piece will be the back of the cake. In other words, if the cake were whole this would be the side of the cake.

C: .5" x 6" This is the yummy filling of your cake.

D: 1.25" x 6" This is the cake part itself.

So, in your "icing" color, cut out 1 A, 1 B, and 2 Cs.

In your "cake" color, cut out 1 A and 4 Ds.

You can really sew this up any way you want to. I sewed my cake "layers" together first. So that's one icing (C) sandwiched between 2 cake layers (D) for each side. Once each panel is done, carefully line up the panels, right sides together, making sure your icing and cake layers are perfectly lined up and sew along one short side.

Next, I sewed my B piece to my 2 A pieces, one on each side. You end up with a long strip of A B A.

Now the tricky part! Sew your layers to the strip you just sewed. The point is definitely the hardest part. I marked the corners on mine with a dot on each piece and carefully lined up the dots. It's tough, but you really just have to dive in and work on it. ***NOTE: Leave a bit of one side open to stuff it later! I left about 3" in the middle of one of the lower sides open.

Clip your corners and turn the piece right-side out. I used a knitting needle or something to make my corners crisp. Stuff to your liking. I found going a bit lighter on the stuffing helped the piece keep it's angular appearance, but you can make it a cutesy-overstuffed if you like. Hand sew up your open seam.

The strawberry, I'm sad to say, has no pattern. I just messed around until I had one that was short and rotund like I wanted. If I recall, I made it more like a semi-circle than a quarter circle.

So that's it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm new at tutorials so please ask if things need to be cleared up! And enjoy your cake  Wink
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010 10:49:58 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look! Round windows!

Check out my Etsy shop for handpainted fashion goodness:
http://www.frompapertocloth.etsy.com

And yes, there's a blog: http://frompapertocloth.blogspot.com
qwizzybaby
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 08:55:34 AM »

I guess making it was a pice of cake Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Luinecu

"Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006 11:13:59 AM »

That looks delicious!

Now if I could just get my real cooking endevous to look like that!

I especially love the strawberry Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Luinecu
x x o

Livejournal // Wists
qwizzybaby
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 07:43:47 AM »

That looks delicious!

Now if I could just get my real cooking endevous to look like that!

I especially love the strawberry Grin
I know what you talking about
THIS ROCKS   Logged
drgrl21
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006 10:28:30 AM »

Love it, Can you please include a tutorial for this? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oops Creations
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006 10:37:13 AM »

http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?criteria=O%3ADE%3AI%3A5&page_number=467&template_id=1&sort_order=1

I was just at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) in NYC and your pincushion reminded me of this piece of art
by Claes Oldenburg. (American, born Sweden, 1929) entitled "Floor Cake" 1962.

thought I'd share....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finally on the Wist Bandwagon:  http://wists.com/OopsCreations

I have loads of good quality CIGAR BOXES available for trade.  Great for purses, shrines, jewelry boxes.  PM for Pics.

Fill a Box is Back
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006 10:37:24 AM »

Yum!!! That looks really good. I love the strawberry. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
shortestkitty
Wootage.

Ghost ride your whip.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006 06:50:43 AM »

Thanks everyone!  Smiley

drgrl21: I'll be happy to make a tutorial, but it seems I left my pattern pieces for the cake at my parents' place. I can get them this weekend and make a tutorial, but if you'd like a tutorial sooner let me know and I'll post the drawings I did in my sketchbook that I based the patterns on.  Smiley

Oops Creations: I love the MoMA! That cake is so rad, thanks so much for sharing it  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look! Round windows!

Check out my Etsy shop for handpainted fashion goodness:
http://www.frompapertocloth.etsy.com

And yes, there's a blog: http://frompapertocloth.blogspot.com
coolgrin
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006 06:57:29 AM »

This is awesome. I love it. Makes me hungry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
blonenomore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006 01:08:21 PM »

That is so cute.  I love the strawberry.  Now we need ice cream to go with it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"buckleberry ferry follow me..."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot a rock band
How to Understand DPI
How to Shoot a Two Year Old Child
How to Shoot a Photography Session
How to Shoot Grads on Location
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...