A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make foam hair falls. (56k be warned)  (Read 4764 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , hair_fall  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Lasers and cats don't mix.

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006 11:24:13 PM »

I've seen these online, for way more than they have to be. They're really easy to make, even though I think I look kinda stupid in mine. But hey... It was under $10USD to make these, and I still have enough foam to make another pair. (It was about thirty cents a sheet for the foam, ten cents each for the felt, and I paid way too much for the rexlace. You can get a 100 yard spool for maybe $3.50 and I paid nearly $5 for the seventy yards of rexlace.)
Hair falls are just like big, fancy, hair ties that cover your hair with something much cooler.
This is the finished product.

(as with all the images on this page, click for bigger.)

What you will need
Something to mount it on. This can be a hair tie, stretchy lace, elastic, whatever. I'm using a hair tie for this.
Craft foam. I used four sheets of nine inch by twelve inch foam that was 2mm thick, and two sheets of craft felt, also nine by twelve. Felt will not be as bouncy as the foam will be. If you don't use felt, then use more foam in place of that. I used pink and black foam and yellow and purple sparkle felt.
Rexlace (it's the stuff that kids use to make those braided lanyard things.) or yarn, or some sort of string like thing to attach the foam to the mounts.
Your choice of beverage. I chose Rockstar Energy, but anything with caffeine will do.
Optional stuff
Pipe cleaners
Whatever else you want.

Step one-
Cut the foam and the felt to whatever length and width you want. Out of four sheets of the foam, I got  about sixty strips, and twenty strips of the felt.

Step two-
Tie your mounting up. If you're using stretch lace, stretch it across a chair or something. If you're using a hair tie like I am... take off your shoes and socks, and put your feet up on another chair. If your feet smell funny, go take a shower or something to get rid of the smell, because your falls will be near your feet for a while, and no one wants falls that smell like feet. Take the hair elastic (make sure it's a strong one, as it will be stretched out a lot.) and loop it over your big toes.

(eew my feet look ugly.)
Step three-
Cut a small hole in the strip and thread a piece of rexlace through it. I kept the length long on it, but you can keep it as short or as long as you wish. The reason why the hole has to be small is because if it is too large, it can tear the foam easier, and no one wants their falls to randomly rip out. A hole punch is the easiest thing to use.
No pics for this step.

Step four-
Take the rexlace and foam and tie it on to the mounting. It will look like what the picture does.

After a few more strips have been added (can of Rockstar added for size comparison)

Step five-
Repeat steps three and four until desired volume is achieved.

Step six-
repeat steps 1-5 for second fall. At this point, you can add whatever else you want. I used pipe cleaners and pony beads in neon colors, and a few pompoms in it.

To put these up, I put my hair in pigtails, then in buns. I then took the fall and used my bun as a base, and twisted it around once so that the fall fell over my buns and covered them up. If that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, then just go to http://ikickshins.net/instructions.html and follow those instructions.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009 08:13:17 AM by rackycoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 03:32:40 PM »

Hahah those are awsome!

Crafty, baby! <3
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006 11:07:11 PM »

those look really sweet in your hair  Shocked
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006 11:54:44 PM »

Har - your text  cracks me up!! Cheesy Great tutorial - those look really cool on you.  I totally want to try making some of those.

The pacifist who packs a punch like a pugilist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006 12:52:49 PM »

those are great Grin

totally my kinda thing. i must make some Shocked

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006 04:14:50 PM »

kewl, when i first was this topic i thought you had threaded hundreds of bean bad ballls to  make a wig! I might actully try that... *wonders off* anyways gud job! thumbs up  Cheesy
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007 09:46:12 PM »

Funky! love it.

They call me, the night crafter.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chili Cheese Nacho Casserole Recipe
Crispy Parmesan Chicken Breast Recipe
Made from Scratch Sloppy Joes Recipe
Chicken and Noodle Casserole Recipe
Crusty Grilled Rueben Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...