A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bold T-shirt Quilt  (Read 2999 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

guster
« on: May 31, 2006 03:56:26 PM »

I finally finished this quilt!  I made it for my husband from some of his old t-shirts.  I love it!  It's sooooooo soft!  I used interfacing to keep the shirts from stretching, which really helped. 

To make straight lines for quilting, I used painter's masking tape, but when I took it off, it left darker areas on the shirts.  I think it pulled old fuzz off.

What do you guys use for marking fabric?  I'm afraid that some of the products they sell wouldn't come off, or would come off too easily.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010 11:43:51 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hambox
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006 04:02:59 PM »

Love this! The colors looks so great.. so bold and modern. I like the simplicity fo the quilting pattern. What kind of batting? Go quilt! Go NIN!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody is a star
One big circle going round and round
-- Sly and the Family Stone
YourDadsMistress
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006 04:07:42 PM »

I wish I knew how to cut straight... or even draw a straight line. I mean rulers make the line straight but I always end up with a trapezoid instead of a square if you understand. Never fails. Anyways, I admire your quilt. Its really nice. I like how you placed the black blocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
guster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006 04:52:45 PM »

It's a polyester batting.  I don't have the package anymore, and I don't remember how lofty it is.  It isn't very thick, though, maybe half an inch.  I'm glad you guys like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006 04:31:49 PM »

cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006 06:25:19 PM »

I love this quilt.  I'm a big fan of NIN.  I use dressmaker's pencils on my fabric.  I have a blue one for light fabrics and a white one for dark fabrics.  They are completely washable and you can even buy fabric erasers for the pencils.  They work well on cotton and cotton blends.  I have a disappearing ink pen, but I hate it.  It tends to make "skitchy" lines on some woven fabrics, plus if it's humid it disappears within a couple of hours which is a pain when I have to mark my fabric for cutting and seaming and then put it away until the next day.

As far as the question about cutting straight lines and squares, your best bet would be acrylic quilting templates (they come in various sizes) and a rotary cutter.  You would want to position your rotary blade flush against the edge of the template and cut away from your body.  I can't cut straight lines to save my life without acrylic templates, rulers and my rotary cutters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
Jeannette
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006 07:45:00 AM »

That is just too cool... Usually tee shirt quilts are SO not my thing... but yours is such a good collection of TEEs!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AliBeachGrl
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006 08:30:32 AM »

I agree with KatAutumn.  I think investing in a rotary cutte & the template (& of course the mat to protect the table) has been the best investment other than my machine.  I groaned when my mom insisted I get one...why spend money on other junk, when I could spent it on more fabric?  But in the end it has saved  me in so many projects.

Check ebay & other places for discounted ones.  Just be careful changing the blades... those things can be dangerous!

You quilt is great by the way.... making me think of some tees I need to do something like this with.
Love it.  Perfect for the guys (& us gals too).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton
blonenomore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006 09:20:57 AM »

Your quilt is so cool.  I have a ton of old T-shirts of my favorite band i didn't know what to do with but you gave me a wonderful idea.
How big are your squares? you  used interfacing as the batting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"buckleberry ferry follow me..."
guster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006 04:51:15 PM »

How big are your squares? you  used interfacing as the batting?

The squares are all 12" by 17.5".  I measured the largest designs (and smallest shirts) to find a size that worked well for all of them.  I used interfacing to keep the shirts from stretching, which I think is essential when working with t-shirts.  I quilted the shirts to a piece of black fabric with polyester batting in between.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Acrylic Sponge Painting Technique
Glazing Acrylic Painting Techniques
How to Paint Shadows and Highlights With Acrylic
How to Paint Tulips With Acrylic
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...