A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fresh produce tips for a little family  (Read 3837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jennasaurus
« on: May 31, 2006 09:56:23 AM »

I have a household of two, me and mr. veggie hater.  I love having fresh produce in the house but many times it goes bad before we can eat it all.  Anyone else have this problem?  Some things I try to do:

I try my hardest to cut up things like celery as soon as I get home from the grocery store so it's ready to snack on when I'm being lazy.

When I need some onion, I chop the whole thing up and put the remainder in a resealable container.  To help keep it fresh longer I put a damp paper towel on top of the onions and seal it up. 

Do you have any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006 10:19:07 AM »

cut his vegetables into tiny pieces and hide them in other foods so he cant pick them out! trickery never hurt anyone... or, well, not badly.

try to plan your meals ahead and make a list before going to the store. you'll be less likely to buy too much or to buy things you wont eat.

some produce keeps longer if you dont wash it right away (strawberries for example). also, some produce ripens faster if placed next to other kinds. im not exactly sure which ones because i tend to run out of produce rather than it having time to go bad but you might want to do a bit of research on that. or maybe someone will post here who knows more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennasaurus
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006 04:01:57 PM »

I heard if you want an avocado to rippen quicker to put it in a paper bag with an apple.  But, we don't eat avocados.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allie-loki
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006 10:14:33 AM »

oh, re: paper bags. store your mushrooms (if you eat those) in paper bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006 04:17:54 PM »

You can keep chopped onions and peppers in the freezer and use them for cooking. Other veggies you can blanch (put into boiling water for a minute, then put into the freezer; cool and let air dry thoroughly before wrapping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006 04:19:27 PM »

Oops, also instead of buying a pile of veggies, you might consider getting a mix from the grocery salad bar instead (or, locate a store where you can do that). Sounds more expensive, but if you're throwing food away it's not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geobabe

I'm moving to Africa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006 04:21:24 PM »

some produce keeps longer if you dont wash it right away (strawberries for example).

This is because strawberries  come coated in fungicide so they mold if you wash it off. 

Bananas are the ultimate ripening agent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
distimica
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006 06:09:55 PM »

I also have a family of two, me and Mr Veggie lover. We go to the local produce market one a week and stock on veggies and fruit.
My tips are:

If its already washed, you'll probably eat it. Lazyness is paramount to rotting vegetables.
Fruit should be easy to see. I like mine on room temperature. So we keep the fruit on the counter. If the fruit are hidden away in the fridge, I'll forget about them  for weeks.
Some kinds of vegetables rot faster than others. I only buy greens that live longer. Letuce is allways the first to go bad.
Don't buy more than you can eat. Even if it is cheap.
Potatoes and onions will last longer -almost forever - if you keep them in the fridge. It actually helps reduce the "crying effect" of onions if you chop them cold.

My significant other is a picky eater, despite liking vegetables, but it helps to find out some more foods he will like to eat if you ask about childhood memories. The food we loved as children, we will love forever. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006 11:31:17 PM »

i started buying from the markets, rather than a supermarket, when i moved out and i've noticed that things from the markets last SOOOOO much longer.
like, cut pumpkin and broccoli and TOTALLY FINE a fortnight after buying them. I have had a zucchini for three weeks and it was like new.

i think it's because at the markets the fruit and veg havent' spent weeks on trucks/ display.
so buy at a market, if that's an option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennasaurus
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006 10:34:40 AM »

Thanks for the tips, guys!  I'm definately getting some good ideas.

One weird question - anyone know how to store black olives?  I buy the little cans, but I usually never use the whole thing.  Should the rest be tossed or can it be frozen or kept in the fridge for awhile?

I hate being wasteful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Refine Edge in Photoshop
How to Use the Liquify Tool in Photoshop
Photoshop Makeup
Photoshop Curves Tutorial - Part 1
Easy Photo Frames and Borders in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...