A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: paper mache questions  (Read 387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2006 07:28:50 AM »

I know, there are a million threads discussing this age old technique, but i want to make furniture out of this stuff. I saw a picture of a beautiful wooden hall table made by this guy and the two front legs were made from paper mache over steel and I swear they looked amazing. Do any of you know if this is the same type of paper mache we made as kids? Is flour and h2o just as good as wallpaper paste? Any advice you have about making "high" art with paper mache would be quite helpful.

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
tiffie1023
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006 08:52:33 PM »

i've done quite a bit of paper mache with the flour and water technique and i have to say that it worked really well for me.  i don't know about using it in furniture, but i didn't have any problems using it as an adhesive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

personal swaps are my favorite

wists! http://www.wists.com/tiffie1023
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006 09:03:58 PM »

For some of my stronger work, I use rigid wrap and then paper mache over that. I'm not sure it would be sturdy enough. Maybe if you get some cheapy furniture and cover it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006 12:23:41 PM »

The papier-mach technique we were all taught at school involves making thick gluey things which take ages to dry, and are difficult to shape when wet.  Papier-mach for grownups involves using wallpaper paste (make it up using about half as much water as they tell you to use) and strips of paper wound on in layers.  This is a great way to dress up junk furniture or a crude armature you have knocked together out of odds and ends.  You can always add details in pulp or thick layers of card, covered in another layer of paper.  Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
nearlythere
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006 06:53:23 PM »

PVA (white white) is great for paper mache. it dries hard. you can dilute it a little bit to make it easier to spread.

you can mix it with methyl-cellulose (like wallpaper paste) and PVA glue in equal parts. this makes it easier to spread/paste... without diluting with just water.

it's very strong this way!

i found some links here:

http://www.halloweenfear.com/Papiermache1.html

http://www.papiermache.co.uk/exec/cms-documents/s-tutorials/p-view/id-23/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006 06:55:03 PM by nearlythere » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephen Weaver
Textile boffin

Crusader for a day.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006 01:33:56 PM »

That second site is GREAT - not very well laid out, but if you explore all the tutorials, they are very imaginative and some lead on to the artist's own website, with even more ideas!  May even get me making a birdhouse or two - always wanted to find a use for all those waxed cartons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enthusiastic worker in almost all textile media, currently heavily involved in theatrical costumes.  Also love papier-mach and mosaic work and gardening.  Happy to meet new people too. 
I DO STASH SWAPS - SEND ME YOUR EXCESS OR UNWANTED MATERIALS AND I WILL SEND MINE!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Shadows - Photoshop
How to Use New Media - ScreenFlow
How to Create a Shining Orb - Pixelmator
How to Create a False HDR Image - Photoshop
How to Use Smart Filters - Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...