A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iron-on extravaganza  (Read 7829 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gillian_houghton
« on: July 23, 2004 08:07:43 AM »

I've been on an iron-on spree lately. Here are some of my latest t-shirt designs (both are composite images culled from the web and traced in photoshop):

Alley Cats...
http://www.frankrause.com/gillian/catdesign.jpg

Dodge Dart Hot Rod...
http://www.frankrause.com/gillian/cardesign.jpg

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011 04:22:54 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppet
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004 08:38:09 AM »

Those are great. Are you using the iron-on transfer paper that you run through a printer? How well does it hold up (wash-and-wearability)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

http://poppetprojects.blogspot.com
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004 08:47:39 AM »

those are so awesome! the hot rod one is my favorite. what type of iron on paper did you use? i've tried many different brands and have had bad results.
but yours look groovy, nice work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
weepinwillow
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004 09:02:15 AM »

Those are great! I also would like to know what kind of transfer paper you used.
thanks..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gillian_houghton
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004 09:50:38 AM »

I used Avery "Personal Creations" Transfers (got 'em at Staples), which require an ink jet printer. My boyfriend had to make a bunch of t-shirts for a friend's wedding party, so he bought a printer at Staples, too--$60 for a Lexmark printer. We've printed 30 transfers on the ink cartridge that came with, so that's way cheaper than printing at Kinko's.

I have machine washed both t-shirts, and, as you might be able to tell, the cat one got a little leathery--I think because it is very large (a full sheet), whereas the car one is about 1/3 sheet, and it held up fine. So my advice would be to keep the images relatively small, 1/3 to 1/2 sheet. (The only other difference betewen the two is the weight of the t-shirts--the cat one is on a relatively new, heavy cotton men's undershirt; the car one is on an old, sort of flimsy J Crew tee...not sure if that made a huge difference, but maybe worth further experimentation.) Also, keep the tissue paper that comes with the transfer--you can always touch up the edges with your iron, even after washing.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
housepig
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004 10:13:19 AM »

can you post some more info about the photoshop manipulations you did - the "traced in photoshop" bit?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

- housepig
"Eternal war against the pricks is all we can respect" - Man Is The Bastard
Housepig.com
gillian_houghton
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004 10:36:01 AM »

can you post some more info about the photoshop manipulations you did - the "traced in photoshop" bit?

i'm not sure if you want info on how photoshop works or what I did specifically, so I guess I'll give you both answers.

when you work in photoshop, you can create/work in multiple layers (which you control using a toolbar). the original image (or images) are on a layer labeled "background," then you create layers above that, one for the outline, another for the color, or however you want to organize it, so that you can change parts of the image independent of other parts of the image (for example, you can change the color of an object without worrying about erasing the outline of that object). think of it as a bunch of paper-thin sheets of plastic, laying in a pile, each painted with a different part of the design.

photoshop allows you to work on any layer separately and to hide layers--so that when you are done tracing the outline of the background image, you can "turn off," or hide, the background layer, and all that remains is your traced image.

not sure if that's a very clear explanation---does that make sense?

as far as what I did specifically, I googled "dodge dart" (my favorite kind of car), and found the main image of the hot rod, images of dart engines, internal wiring systems, etc. and put 'em together. the cat design is from an antique postcard, also found online.

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004 07:50:18 PM by lazybones » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004 12:35:52 AM »

Yes thats pretty clear... now i understand photoshop a little better! Thanks!
-Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krrafty_eye
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004 12:38:11 AM »

Those are some very fine designs you have there. I like the car especially. Very chic. I love iron-ons, they're so much fun  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anders
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004 04:13:17 PM »

I like the car too. Smiley

BTW, while Photoshop is a fine program for tracing photos, but if you are going for the bold flat colors, Illustrator is your best friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SaveTheDodos
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004 12:53:56 PM »

I *adore* the funky design around the Hot Rod; great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beast: I want to do something for her... but what?
Cogsworth: Oh, there's the usual things: flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep...
Lalipourie
mer meow?!

Tee Hee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004 01:25:17 PM »

that is so cute!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.<br />Alice Walker
twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004 11:34:38 AM »

oh wow. both are interesting. the cat one is too cute. that would look great on a tote bag. the car one is way out there! groovy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
Spicey
French Fried Texan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004 10:55:45 AM »

I really like the kitties! Smiley The car is cool as well.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Birch Bark Basket
How to Make a Doggie Bag Tote
How to Make 3D Felt Flowers
How to Knit a Blanket
How to Knit a Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...