A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pirate Queen's Booty Bag  (Read 3087 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fangedplotbunny
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007 12:04:09 AM »

Stitch and Stones,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  I don't think I'm much farther along than you in knitting experience.  I'd say, google some tutorials on double knitting and try a swatch with some scrap yarn to see how it works for you.  I kept hearing that double knitting looked a lot harder than it is and I picked it up right away, so I'm pretty confident you could, too.  But give the test swatch a shot and see how you do.  Have you knitted in the round before?  If you haven't, I'd definitely advise you to consider going with Punk's project.  Don't want to challenge you so much that you get frustrated and give up. 

Cheers to Punk Is The New Blog for finding such a great alternative pirate bag pattern. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fangedplotbunny
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007 12:15:14 AM »

Sorry I've been absent for so long.

Can you believe my yarn arrived, finally, just yesterday?  The original package of yarn made it only as far as Atlanta before disappearing in the bowels of the main post office.  KnitPicks was so kind about taking care of it for me and sent a second package via Fedex.  So I just cast on tonight and I've only made it as far as the middle of the sixth row of the bag base.  It's pretty cool, this double knitting thing, but the yarn fingering is driving me nuts so I'm doing it my own way, carrying both color strands together and letting the tip of my needle sort out the right strand for knitting and purling.  It's a little slow,  but much faster than me fumbling around the way the pics tell me I should hold the yarn.

I'll remember to hunt up some stitch markers when I get to the skulls pattern repeats, too.  I'm also not wild about the handles and am thinking of modifying things a bit and putting in metal or plastic handles instead.  Not sure yet.  Might be cool if I could find some that looked like actual bones.  Or would that be too creepy?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007 02:31:28 AM »

Oooo, I think bone handles would be the BOMB! LOL  Try looking in op shops or thrift stores to find old bag handles, they often have some great ones.  If you can't find bone, try looking for bamboo ones and painting them white - the nubbles will look like bones joined together I reckon!

This project has taken a back seat for me at the moment.  I had some issues when I got to the large skulls because I changed the direction I was knitting, so I had to rip out 12 rows of double knit and then pick up all the stitches  Shocked  Cry  So I'm back to having just finished the little skulls.  But my last exam is tomorrow and, once I've fixed the socks I knitted for a friend's birthday (one foot is 10 rows longer than the other  Roll Eyes) I will be attempting to finish this off.  Or at least post some more progress shots!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
fangedplotbunny
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007 03:33:44 AM »

" I had to rip out 12 rows of double knit and then pick up all the stitches "

OMG!  Horrible.  That's about how many rows I have now after 3 days' work (see, told you I'm a slow knitter). So by the time life has given you time to start on the bag again, I might be caught up to where you are now Cheesy  

Anywho, here's my progress so far, in case someone's interested.. (and since I haven't posted enough yet, I can only give you the link to click) 

http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/3354/2381850000062913288S425x425Q85.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corbeau64
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007 11:45:17 AM »

Hello all!

I realize I might be jumping into this a bit late, but what else is a pirate to do?

I have a quick question for all who are knitting this: Are you twisting the sides of the knitting closed for the base of the bag or are you leaving them open? Does it affect your picking up of stitches for the sides either way?

Thanks!
~Julia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007 11:05:45 AM »

I think I did something wrong at the picking up stiches around the base stage because I've been knitting with the inside facing me instead of the outside . . . but it's working, so I'm not too worried about it.  How's everyone else going?

I don't think you did anything wrong - I'm making it for a xmas present, and had the same thing - I think it's how the pattern is written - I found a couple of minor errors (like knit rows 1-20 in DK, then knit rows 11-26 with the small skulls)

no biggie - but yeah, mine is inside out, too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do Selena Gomez Braided Hair
How to Take Short Hair from Day to Night
The Best Ways To Master All Styles Of Curls
How to Do a French Twist With Short Hair
How to Create an Easy Braided Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...