A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crackled 'N Spackled Cigar Box  (Read 3670 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2003 05:18:58 PM »

Here's a revamped cigar box--kinda shabby chic-y...

I purchased the cigar box for $3 at a tobacco shop (they had many to choose from). After sanding  it, I used a fleur de lis stencil with Patch-N-Paint Lightweight Spackling.  I just slapped the spackle in the stencil and smoothed it out.  Waited for it to dry.  Sanded the dry spackle a bit, then crackle finished with white paint.  Finally, I wiped on and off a black antiquing gel to give more definition to the cracks.  Oh, and the inside has some fleur de lis themed wallpaper glued in it!
Hope you likey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
anniekate
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003 11:58:29 PM »

Wow, that is so cool! You know, I love using spackle, but I never thought to do anything but fill in holes with it before. You go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003 11:12:54 AM »

This is the prettiest thing of ever!!!!!!!!!  I made jewelry for my mom and some of my friends for Christmas this year and this would be the perfect thing to put their goodies in!  I have never done anything like this before.  Could you suggest some brand names for the things I will need?  And if it isn't too much trouble maybe some more detailed instructions?  Thanks...My mom would love a box like that.  Her home is decorated kinda french country if that makes sense...and this would fit in perfectly. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
firehead4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003 11:24:57 AM »

This is the prettiest thing of ever!!!!!!!!!  I made jewelry for my mom and some of my friends for Christmas this year and this would be the perfect thing to put their goodies in!  I have never done anything like this before.  Could you suggest some brand names for the things I will need?  And if it isn't too much trouble maybe some more detailed instructions?  Thanks...My mom would love a box like that.  Her home is decorated kinda french country if that makes sense...and this would fit in perfectly. Grin

Why thank you, Starstruq! Kiss
I mostly use Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paints, varnishes and crackle medium.  I find them all at Joann and Menard's.
The wallpaper in the box is from a discontinued wallpaper book I got from a paint and wallpaper store--if you ask for discontinued books they'll give to you for free!  The books are worth like $60!!!
The spackle is Paint-n-Patch compound--that's the brand I think---from Home Depot.  Comes in a cute little tub.  The stencil is from Menard's.

As far as the instructions go, let me know where my previous instructions left you confused.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow Me at...
starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003 03:09:50 PM »

Thanks for the info! I think I can handle this one.  So as far as the spackle and stencil go...is the fluer de lis on the front sort of 3-d?  Is it raised up from the rest of the box or is mainly just a little bit of a texture thing?  

What is antiquing gel?  I'm assuming that I can get it at my local craft store.

Before I go I want to compliment you on your posts!  You've been a busy crafting bee and have come up with some bee-utiful things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
firehead4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003 05:09:06 PM »

Thanks for the info! I think I can handle this one.  So as far as the spackle and stencil go...is the fluer de lis on the front sort of 3-d?  Is it raised up from the rest of the box or is mainly just a little bit of a texture thing?  

What is antiquing gel?  I'm assuming that I can get it at my local craft store.

Before I go I want to compliment you on your posts!  You've been a busy crafting bee and have come up with some bee-utiful things!

The fleur de lis is 3-d. Instead of dabbing paint in the stencil , I spackled in the area and that smoothed it out when it looked right to me--just a little raised from the box.  I let it dry and then sanded it to be a little smoother and get rid of any crusty mistakes.  That's the only spackle on the box!  The rest is crackle paint.  The antiquing gel is also by Delta Ceramcoat and comes in a small bottle, BUT you can just as easily use black shoe polish!  Just rub a little on and wipe it off!

Your kind words really brighten my day!  Thank you! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow Me at...
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004 09:33:11 PM »

I love love love how your box turned out.. It looks perfectly aged.
I've been having issues with my crackle paint recently.  I bought 2 different brands of product, but the cracks are just turning out too small for my liking. Maybe I'm just too picky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
firehead4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004 06:03:43 AM »

I love love love how your box turned out.. It looks perfectly aged.
I've been having issues with my crackle paint recently.  I bought 2 different brands of product, but the cracks are just turning out too small for my liking. Maybe I'm just too picky.

Thanks for the compliment!
Your problem is easily remedied by the following steps:

1. Glob on more crackle finish then you have previously used (not a ton, just more)
2. Don't wait for more than 10-12 minutes before you start painting over it.
3. Don't do too many brush strokes with your paint over the crackle finish.  Simple one-directional strokes give the best effect.

I have had to do a lot of experimenting with crackle paint and have learned that less crackle finish and waiting a longer period of time results in the smaller cracks.

Hope this helps!
Good luck! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow Me at...
sallysparks
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004 10:42:57 AM »

This really is a lovely piece. I could totally imagine seeing it for sale at Shabby Chic for like $50. But yours is better because it is unique and personal. I absolutely love it.  Grin

p.s. thanks for such in depth instructions. I never knew crackling was such an art form!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoveLenon
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004 03:58:10 PM »

Pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Special Effects in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Edit an Image in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Paint With Digital Paint in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Work With Non-Destructive Editing in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
How to Use Color Correction in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...