A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: make my own fire pit for front porch-- you know, fire holder holder thingy  (Read 2256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yearofthedragon
« on: May 30, 2006 03:06:26 PM »

Hello all,
This project has been boggling my mind for way too long and I hope someone can come up with an "of course!  why didn't I think of that?" sort of solution.

So, you know those fire pit things you can buy at Target for $100?  The ones that are like portable outdoor fireplaces?  I want to make one on the cheap.

I've thought of using a galvanized steel tub or trashcan but my geeky father (who sometimes knows what he's talking about) says the metal would melt.  I need it to be portable so I can't build a box-structure out of cinder blocks.

Any brilliant ideas?

Thanks a bunch,
Ruby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doeayes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006 04:03:25 PM »

don't know if you can get your hands on one cheap, but i saw this at a U Louisiana - LaFayette football tailgate:  the inside washtub of washing maching.  lots of vent holes, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006 08:15:10 PM »

They do work great. You can pick them up cheap at a re-store/thrift store or for free at the dump. Even try an appliance repair store, if they've replaced one you can probablly have the old one, saves them from throwing it out. Good luck, d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006 08:31:00 PM »

If the washing machine thing doesn't work out, you could just get a little portable barbecue grill, and fancy it up if you wanted. I got one that had about 15x9 in surface, 5 or 6 inch tall legs, and 4 or 5 inches deep, for $15 (US) at a drug store about eight years ago. (I wish I still had it.) Take the grill off and maybe weld on some longer legs, and ta-da!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
yearofthedragon
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006 11:30:41 PM »

aunt carrot, of course!  guess what's been sitting on my back steps and unused for almost a year?  a cheap little grill just like you were talking about!  oh, i feel so silly but I'm glad i can make a fire pit out of something i already own.

Yay!  Fire pit for front porch!

Now, if I can figure out a safe way to do something similar on my front balcony-- which is made out of wood.  I have a fantasy of walking out of my bedroom onto the balcony on a chilly fall evening and sitting by the fire.  However, the fantasy does not include accidentally burning down my apartment.

Night-night everyone,
Ruby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheThriftShopper.Com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006 02:22:17 AM »

I think your father is right. Fire should be made only in something that'll not melt. It's worth $100 to ensure you won't set your house on fire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget to look in your local thrift stores for your crafting supplies. Please check out my national directory of thrift stores at preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.TheThriftShopper.Com') for your shopping convenience.
yearofthedragon
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006 04:33:42 AM »

Yes, setting house on fire = bad idea.

Fun Fact: I researched the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for galvanized steel and discovered that the steel part would be fine for a wood fire since it won't melt until about 2300 F, but the coating on it melts at 800 F and wood fires burn at 800 - 900 F.  And apparently when that coating melts it releases some chemicals that can cause "metal fume fever" (look it up it, seems rather unpleasant) and prolonged exposure to inhaling one of those chemicals also increases your risk of getting lung cancer.  Yum, yum.  So as much as I don't want to admit it, my father does know what he's talking about when it comes to burning things in galvanized steel.  (garumph, garumph, garumph)

-Ruby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006 07:55:45 PM »

We used an old wok that's been sitting around for years - great for a small space, just don't put very much wood in it. The base was perfect.
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
tickleagangster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006 09:57:20 AM »

What about one of those big red clay dish thingys that go under a pot? Like you could invert the pot and place the platter thing on top and burn some wood chips or one of those fireplace logs.  Or you could buy a small cheap chimenea (sp?) which is made out of the same material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embellish Skirts
How to Sew an Invisible Zip
How to Make a Tutu Dress
The Wildlife Pins of George G. Harris
Ryan at the Hot Shop
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...