A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing a Suit?  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moontouched
« on: May 18, 2006 12:33:35 PM »

I'm new so I apologise if this is silly.

For my prom I really want to wear a pink tux/suit in reference to the song. I can't find one so my plan was to get hold of a white one and dye it. I found one I like but it's still a bit expensive to dye and screw up. So which dyes should I consider for it (should I even consider?)

I can't make it myself because I have absolutely no sewing skills whatsoever or know anyone who can sew anything past buttons and darns.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006 07:59:38 AM by Moontouched » THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006 04:51:13 AM »

dacron dye is really good- but i wouldn't know if you could get it in america. try going to a drug store or a craft store- they should have some sort of dye. when you dye fabric, here are a few things to remember: mix up the dye in a tub first, then put everything you intend to dye into the tub at the same time- this is important to ensure that the colour is even. always read the instructions and i would also recommend that you test the dye on a scrap of fabric first (use a type of fabric that is the same as your tux). also, dyed fabric will eventually fade, you may have to dye it again (not that this will be a problem for you, unless you plan on wearing your pink tux a lot).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Moontouched
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006 05:03:18 AM »

Actually I'm in Britain, how easy is it to get it here? Thanks for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006 05:29:34 AM »

sorry, my mistake. i live in new zealand, but i think dacron may be a british company so theres a good chance you will be able to find it- try a chemist. i've used it in the past, its very reliable- just make sure that the dye is really well dissolved before you put the fabric in or you will get streaks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Endless Liz
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006 06:35:17 AM »

Also, make sure you know what the suit is made out of. Dyes meant for cellulose fabrics won't work well on polyesters and so on. I use MX fiber reactive dyes I order from Prochem. They're great for cotton and other cellulose but don't cut it for the synthetics....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006 06:03:40 PM »

yes, synthetics are a bit tricky, maybe you could try to find a white summer suit (white cotton or linen) if you can't find a cotton tux
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Clever Ways to Remove Gum From Your Clothing
Style Sound-Off: Jaimie Alexander, Stacy Keibler, Nicole Richie
Justin Timberlake Performs in Custom Tom Ford
CMA Awards Best and Worst Dressed
Elevator Makeover - Creating the Perfect Job Interview Look
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...