A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tips for sewing tshirt material?  (Read 2220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gwenluvy
« on: May 30, 2006 01:17:29 PM »

is it called jersey or is that something else entirely? do I use a straight or zigzag stitch? do i need anything special, like a particular thread. needle, or foot? how do i know what tension to use and if it's too high/low?

I'm sorry about all the questions but I'm totally clueless and I need to sew like mad.
I used to work in promotions at a local venue and i have probably 30 too big tees from all the shows there (atreyu, calico system, punchline, emery, hellogoodbye, hopesfall, etc... i don't necessarily like all those bands but they had cute merch, haha) that are in desperate need of reconstruction.  Also, all my favorite tees need fake "layered" bottoms bc they all show my belly and now that i've had a baby and am covered with stretch marks, I have the good sense to know that it's not cute anymore Tongue

I don't need patterns but rather just instructions/tips/tricks... I know there's gotta be something different with stretchy material, i just want to avoid ruining my neat shirts in the process of figuring it out.

thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006 01:21:40 PM »

walking foot
stretch needle
poly/cotton thread

and my favorite:

STARCH.

not the spray kind, the liquid kind.  use it liberally and often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006 02:34:49 PM »

Rostitchery..you have a magic box full of tips.. Cheesy
Starch?!!
Oy vey! I had no idea you can use that. How do you use? Do you wash the piece? Can you use our regular "pantry starch?
Do you mind telling the hows to?
Thank you
Perach
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006 04:06:23 PM »

that's right, i just make my own using ordinary cornstarch.

i start a pot of water to boil, and while that is heating up i whisk some cornstarch into some ice cold water.  when the pot is boiling, i whisk the cold water/cornstarch mixture into the boiling water, and keep whisking until the mix clarifies. 

i use this mix directly in the rinse cycle of the washing machine, but i air-dry the fabric because that makes it stiffer.

you can also dilute this and put it in a spray bottle, or you can even dip your piece in it.  i have sometimes painted it on just the edge of some fabric when i needed to make a hem.

and you can use it to paste stuff to the wall--i put fabric on my walls in london using starch and it stayed up until i left almost 6 years later.  all i had to do was pull the fabric down and wash the walls--just like new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006 02:02:53 PM »

Omg that sticking to the walls thing sounds so neat. I'll hae to keep it in mind and see if I can do that to my dorm in a year.
Yeah, I don't really have any tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
britknit
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006 02:20:48 PM »

Rostichery is that like cornstarch as in cornflour?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like work; it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours. - Jerome K. Jerome
low_budget_diva
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006 02:34:29 PM »

Corn starch is a thickening agent you might keep on hand for making pies, for example, when you need to thicken up the fruit mixture so it doesn't get so runny that the pie crust is a soggy mess. I think the same principle is being applied for fabric--the softness of the jersey is being kept in check by the starch.

Just make sure that what you are using isn't corn meal, which looks like flour and is used for making cornbread and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
katie_ramone9
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006 02:51:04 PM »

if its t-shirt-like material then its either knit or jersey. my sewing teacher just told me that when sewing a strech material like knit or jersey you should strech the material out as it goes through the machine that way when you go to put the item on and as you strech it to put your arms through and whatnot the thread doesnt snap. and a zig zag stich would strech with the material.  there are special needles to use when working with knit and on the backs of the packs of machine needles it usually has the needles color coded as to what theyre used for. and if you have a serger you could do the four thread mock safety stich and that streches. if you dont have a serger then ignore that last sentence.  but i would highly reccomend a serger. you can get them for around as much as a sewing machine. i bought mine refurbished for $150.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006 03:15:03 PM »

I thought if you stretch the material the edge will look like a lettuce leaf. So, don't stretch it, but don't bunch it, I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
britknit
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006 04:26:46 PM »

Corn starch is a thickening agent you might keep on hand for making pies, for example, when you need to thicken up the fruit mixture so it doesn't get so runny that the pie crust is a soggy mess. I think the same principle is being applied for fabric--the softness of the jersey is being kept in check by the starch.

Just make sure that what you are using isn't corn meal, which looks like flour and is used for making cornbread and such.

Yup that sounds like what we UK-ers call cornflour...cool thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like work; it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours. - Jerome K. Jerome
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill with Woodchips
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
In The Kitchen - Halibut
How to barbeque with plank
How to Make Fresh Dill Potato Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...