A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fluffy cuff mittens  (Read 4461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Adrienne
« on: July 22, 2004 08:56:04 PM »

i'm making these and am just wondering if they turned out freakishly long for anyone else. mine aren't done yet and i've been following the pattern (inch wise...i'm using different yarn...but it's of the same gauge so i didn't think it would make a huge difference) but they seem like they're going to be more arm and hand warmers than just mittens.
has anyone else encountered this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Touch not the cat bot a glove.
grrl13
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004 06:47:45 PM »

hey
I was thinking the same thing when i was making mine, but they turn out perfect! you can flip the cuffs up if you want them even shorter. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adrienne
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004 03:04:21 AM »

thanks. i finished mine too....and was shocked to find that they did work out. crazy mitts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004 05:43:35 PM »

I am fairly new at the whole double-pointed needle thing, and while I am comfortable with 3 needles and the whole triangle thing, I am having a heck of a time adding a 4th needle and doing the square thing! Has anyone tried these mittens on 3 needles instead of 4? I realize that the whole pattern would have to be adapted, but I am determined to make these darn fluffy cuff mittens!!

Many thanks for any guidance anyone might be able to provide!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004 07:48:48 PM »

Yay - these are almost done! I used Lion Wool-Ease Chunky in a hot pink for the mitten part and Lion Fun Fetti (firecracker red) paired up with a very thin blue cotton yarn for the cuff. (I know, the colors are a little out there)

I have to say, though, I'm having a heck of a time with the thumb (as is quite clear from the photos...). I did one other "practice" mitten and it came out fine. However, every time I start the thumb, it winds up looking like garter stitch rather than stockinette. I'm sure I must have something twisted; not sure. But after 5 tries at starting the thumb (and consequently stretching out the holes around the base of the thumb with my constant knitting, pulling, and unravelling), I've decided to put it away for a day or two and come back to it. Hopefully they will be finished soon! And hopefully someone will actually want to wear the crazy things!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004 07:32:04 AM by Kimbabwe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adrienne
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004 07:53:58 PM »

oh wow...your yarn choices are awesome!
i only used worsted weight yarn (because it was lying around) and they're just not warm. i gotta make new ones with chunky yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004 07:56:16 PM »

I had that problem at first. You just have to make sure you're knitting around the thumb on the knit side. What seemed like the ride side to knit into was backwards. Just make sure you're looking at V's and not purl bumps (which is hard, because all the bumps are kind of inside the mitten).

When you finish, I'd like to see if you had problems with a hole or gap around the thumb. Mine do and always require some wacky finishing.

All the fluffy cuff mittens I've made so far haven't had any fluff. But I just finished a felted bag and have a lot of Lamb's Pride Bulky left over, so I might have to get some fluffy stuff and go to it.

They look great by the way! (I always love putting on still-being-knitted mittens!)   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edamame
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004 11:14:21 AM »

Wow, that is some crazy yarn for cuffs Kimbabwe! I love the colors. I think I need to buy this book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kimbabwe
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004 01:54:11 PM »

Yay - I finally figured out the thumb - thanks redbirdrae - I was just knitting the stitches from the wrong side as you said (seems pretty obvious to me now, but before I was befuddled - what could I be doing wrong?).

However, now that mitten #1 is finished, I've rethought the crazy colors and flamboyant cuffs and have lost interest in doing mitten #2. Oh well. Maybe the mood will strike again and I'll complete the pair. Or maybe I'll frog 'em and use the yarn for something else. If nothing else, it was good practice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chubbybunny
How-to for the socially inept

rock is dead...long live paper and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004 12:37:18 PM »

On my singular (and very first) mitten, I came up with these enormous holes on either side of the thumb.  Has anyone tried put up more stitches from around the thumb hole and just decreasing 'em to the suggested 11 sts before they get to the bulk of the thumb knitting? 

~Wren
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 1
How to use the AV Mode on Your dSLR
Learn about Depth of Field
Basic Photography Lighting Setups Tutorial
How to use Lighting Ratios in Photography
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...