A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melbourne screenprinters - let's talk!  (Read 3415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crumpet
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006 04:40:33 PM »

I remembered the brand of stuff we used at uni -- Lascaux.

Also, Melbourne Etching Supplies have some great sales on at the moment.  They're on St David St Fitzroy, just off Brunswick St.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007 03:11:26 AM »

I recently went to the Screenprinting supply shop in Bayswater.  I have there catalogue if anyone is interested.  I got litre tubs of permaflex. The black and white was about $24 and the colour was about $38.  I was previously getting mine from Deans, which was quite $$$ for only 300ml.

Does anyone know where to get plastic sheets to cut stencils from. I have not done it before with plastic. I was wanting something quite thin.  At the moment I am using cartridge, but it was really annoying using it with white because the ink is thicker and the paper stencil is ruined after I finish.  I'm right into printing white onto red at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007 11:33:25 PM »

I recently went to the Screenprinting supply shop in Bayswater.  I have there catalogue if anyone is interested.  I got litre tubs of permaflex. The black and white was about $24 and the colour was about $38.  I was previously getting mine from Deans, which was quite $$$ for only 300ml.
Is that the one I posted?  They never gave me a catalogue!?  Also I haven't heard of Permaflex?  Is that the brand of paint?  I thought they only sold Permaset there.  And if it is the place you're talking about, then yes go there for the paint.  I saw the litre tubs of Permaset for $25 or so at Melbourne Artist's Supplies and at the screenprinters' place they are only about $12.

Does anyone know where to get plastic sheets to cut stencils from. I have not done it before with plastic. I was wanting something quite thin.  At the moment I am using cartridge, but it was really annoying using it with white because the ink is thicker and the paper stencil is ruined after I finish.  I'm right into printing white onto red at the moment.
I just use acetate which I buy for $1 a sheet at Melbourne Artists' Supplies.  I think it's about A3 size or a bit bigger, and it's just the right size if I want to do a stencil utilising as much space as I can on my bigger screen.  With smaller simpler designs, I print them out on A4 paper and photocopy them onto acetate/overheads at uni - it's 70 cents a pop though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
annalaura
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007 09:05:03 PM »

I'm an idiot, it is permaset not permaflex.  $12 for a litre is cheap, the place in Bayswater wasn't that cheap.  I saw the catalogues under the desk thing they had and asked for one.

I got some acetate,  but I'm wondering if it works okay, or does the ink get trapped underneath and spread and look crap from bleeding?

thanks for the advice!
Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007 10:38:57 PM »

Yeh I think at the place in Bayswater I'm talking about  - All Australian Screenprinting Supplies - they did pu tthe prices up on the paints after I started going there.  The standard paints were $12.60 last time I got any, but when I bought some cyan and glow pink they were more expensive, and supercover are more expensive again (I think getting up to $35 for 1 litre, still pretty good though!)

I have always used acetate and it has always worked fine for me.  I only have a little bleeding when I use a slightly drilled cotton fabric (which I use because it's the only decently priced fabric that is the right strength in the range of colours I want for my bags & pouches etc.), but that's because of the fabric, not the acetate, and only when I use a bit too much paint. 

I gues you can just try it out and see if it work for you!  Good luck and let us know how it goes Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
annalaura
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007 12:20:02 AM »

I got the supercover stuff.  I got some normal black and it was not that great, really runny and just bleed like crazy.

I just tried a print with the acetate.  It was okay, at first I thought it was worse than what it was.

This is the acetate sheet:

This is an example of the worst print:

This is an example of the best print:

However if the acetate lasts for a lot of prints, then I'm happy.
I don't think the dots worked so well, I used these funny hole punch pens used in scrapbooking. They work well on paper, but the acetate didn't cut as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007 01:48:43 AM »

Thanks for sharing your pics - I love your design Wink

Yeh I use supercover of the white, but that's the only colour I've tried in the supercover, everything else is fine.  I have never found them too runny or bleeding to much, so I don't knwo what happened with yours :S  I hope it works out better next time.  I find the supercover can be hit and miss sometimes as it's much thicker - or at least mine is, I've had mine for ages and it might be time for a new supply Wink

How did you stick the acetate sheet to your screen?  I just masking tape mine, ensuring that it's as flat as can be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007 03:38:02 AM »

I just pur Sellotape on the screen. The screen I have is almost A3, and the acetate was almost that. 

Thanks for teh complement on the design!

The supercover is thick in the white but thats all.  The other ones are nowhere near as thick.
The black that wasn't super cover may have needed stirring, I could have ended up with some of the more liquidy top and not realised.

I love the super cover though, the white on black looks great, I was really impressed.  I love screen printing, I would love to get some nice proper ones done, we have some at the school I work in, so I might get some made up, but I am always surprised at the lovely detail paper can create, and the skill in cutting out the paper (and now acetate) is quite unique.

Thanks so much for the help bondgirl, where do you sell the stuff you make?  I have a stall coming up at Rose Street, but etsy is also proving to be a great place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007 10:13:30 PM »

Well I'm glad I could help out - I don't know if I did much though!  Once you get used to paints though I think it's all ok, but I still have trouble judging just how much I need for different prints on different fabrics.

Oh and I don't sell the stuff I make anywhere Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007 10:47:12 PM »

I'd love to see some of the stuff you do.  Also have a look at www.etsy.com for selling stuff. It isn't expensive to sell (20c US to list and they take 3.5% off the sale price) and it is easy to set up and maintain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Married Lovers by Jackie Collins
James Bunting Performs His Poem "Cathy"
Jane Shore’s Role in Royal Mistress
The Program by Suzanne Young
The Demonologist by Andrew Pyper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...