A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melbourne screenprinters - let's talk!  (Read 3364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bond Girl
« on: May 29, 2006 12:59:25 AM »

Hello,

I just thought I'd ask who of you Melbourne craftsters screenprint?  I'd love to find some good places for screens and supplies etc.

I get mine from a local screenprinter supplier, who are so much cheaper than the art shops I know of that sell the same supplies.  But I'm looking for somewhere to get cheaper screens, as I'd like to try out the photo emulsion method and my supplier doesn't make screen small enough for what I want.

I thought I'd found some on a Melbourne-based website, but just when I was going to call them and ask about them, the screenprinting section disappeared off the website!  Shocked  I'm still meaning to call them though... I just never get around it it  Embarrassed

Anyway, anyone want to share their suppliers and chat about screenprinting?  Smiley

PS. I will post mine, I just don't have the info on me right now!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
soybean
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006 06:05:40 AM »

hi
I get all my screenprinting stuff from Jones Bros in Campbellfield. They're way cheaper than any of the art stores and stock pretty much everything! You can also get screens made up exactly to your specs(yay!). Here's their contacts: 9359 3555 info@jonespt.com.au
There's also Kraftkolour who recently closed their shop and are going to go completely online instead: http://www.kraftkolour.com.au/
Have you tried the photo emulsion yet?
hope all that's a help! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006 12:18:36 AM »

Thanks so much soybean!

I did ring that place I mentioned and it turns out they have stopped selling all their screenprinting supplies because some old guy was making them but then he had to stop Sad

Can you give me a rough idea of how much screens are there at Jones Bros?  Also do the ones you get made up have wooden frames?  Thanks ♥

And also, the place I have been going to is:

All Australian Screenprinting Supplies
1 Holloway Drive, Bayswater
Ph: (03) 9762 3092

I just wish they made screens as small as I want, otherwise, very friendly and great value Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
soybean
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006 01:06:25 AM »

hiya
Ok, well I've got their catalogue here and to give you an idea of their prices...ummm... a cedar screen (they also have aluminium and steel for a few more $$) that is 30cm x 41cm (inside measurements) is $33.82 +gst. But they definitely make them any size you want. You can also order a squeegee by the cm so it will fit just right for your new screen!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006 02:57:58 AM by soybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006 12:10:28 AM »

Ok thanks so much for that soybean

They are very very far away from me though, that's the only problem Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006 01:56:34 AM »

hey
I'm not really a true screen printer - i do a wierd stenciling/screenprint cross... but anyway, i have a silkscreen that my mum (or i think my dad) made, so i guess this is more to let everyone know that you can buy the wood and make a screen, and you can, more importantly i guess, buy silk that is suitable for silkscreening. We attached our silk with a staple gun so it's not too hard to remove and replace.
Just thought i should throw in my 2 cents..... Tongue I hope some of this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soybean
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006 04:16:13 AM »

Cheesy yay, of course!!
Doh... here we are on a craft forum and I forgot the DIY option!
Hey Bond Girl, especially if you only want to make up teeny ones! It's pretty daunting to do on a larger scale without a proper stretcher though coz floppy mesh =   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006 12:47:49 AM »

Yes I had thought about trying it myself, I think there are tutorials around on here to make them... or I have seen tutorials somewhere!  The only thing was I wasn't sure where to get the screen mesh/fabric stuff, and how do I know I'm buying the right one?

Oh and Fudgegirl I do a stencil-screenprinting cross too, but I want to get into emulsion which is why I'm after a good supplier of screens Wink

Also I went down to that place I mentioned that had stopped stocking the screens today and got their last two screens - the guy gave them to me for $20 each, such a bargain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006 01:00:51 AM »

yeah, i'm not sure where to get the screen-fabric... i'll just go and see if my mum can remember.
nope, she said that she got our stash of it ages abnd ages ago...(i'm talking years and years here!)
but...i dunno, ask at Spotlight or your local fabric place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soybean
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006 03:36:04 AM »

Either of the 2 places I mentioned before sell it (around 20-30 bucks a metre) but seeing it's so light it might be worth even googling a mail order screen print supplier who can do it for cheaper and have it sent to you? There are different mesh sizes for different kinds of printing (paper, silk, heavy fabrics) and also depending on how fine your image is (halftones and really fine type need a tighter mesh) but a good all rounder for fabric is 43T. hmmm...I looove screenprinting Cheesy
ps. I just did a search and found this place : http://shop.gjsmachinery.com.au/subcategory.asp?idSubCategory=42  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annalaura
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006 04:42:34 AM »

I have been doing some screenprinting, but I am cutting out the stencils myself using paper.  I can get some pretty fine detail though.

I just got mine from Deans Art Supplies a few years ago and it was a total rip, I have another smaller one from a friend and it is nice having something a little smaller as it is easier to clean.

I am thinking of getting my dad to make me some frames and stretching them myself. I would love to do some photoemulsion, and have about 6 designs I can reuse.  The paper stencil thing is sweet and all, but it takes a while to cut a stencil out and then if they are REALLY complex they don't last long.

Here is one I did, some detail anyway.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliengrace
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006 05:45:40 AM »

Hey!  Smiley Smiley I'm so glad there is a melb screenprinting thread!  I've started doing it as of 10 days ago with emulsion, and I've been through some adventures and a half, and still haven't gotten a working screen yet  Angry Huh

I second Jones Brothers as being really good. (03) 9359-3555. I got them to make me up a scoop coater to size for about half the cost of an art shop.  However, I have the catalogue here too I picked up last week, and the cedar 30 x 41 screen is listed as being 39.80 + gst = 43.78 *edit* 43T = 36.20+gst = 39.82.  Which I think is a little expensive *edit* not as cheap as you'd expect for a wholesaler.   I got my smaller one in yellow mesh only for about 30 bucks from Deans Art, 25 x 30.  Yellow mesh costs a little more, gives slightly sharper images when exposed theoretically but take about 50 - 100% longer to expose.  I'd choose white ideally.   Luckily for Jones Bros proximity I live in North Coburg so I just took the train and biked from Upfield station (and then biked home... Cheesy).  Great living in an industrial side of town. They do send things out, I believe, don't know what they cost.   Lots of different types of photo-emulsions. You won't get under a kilo for inks, but say, for a kilo, a standard waterbased colour is $10.80+gst, opaque waterbased is $32.55+gst.  Browns and black and white are cheaper in opaque.  They have lots and lots of schmancy inks to make me excited about printing on latex and leather and pvc and tulle and mesh one day when I get good.   And the rest!! Puffy ink!  Glittery ink! Pearlescent ink!  Extra shiny ink!  Glow in the dark ink!  Clear UV-glow-only ink! Ink for making crayon and felt-pen transfers!  Reflective ink (ooooh baby)!  Suede-texture ink!  Holographic ink!  (Wait, I have to calm down...)  Hate to think of breathing it all in, ha.

I have bought screenprinting stuff from this arts and printing supplies shop in Fitzroy, forgotten the name but it's about 50 Greeves St about next door to the Black Cat Cafe or whatever it is now.  They've got small amounts of waterbased inks, standard 300ml is about 5.75  Their loose mesh is nearly twice the price of Jones Brothers.  Friendly though.

By the way, I wasn't sure what supermarket degreaser to use to prep the screen, not finding the american brands + not wanting to buy the Official Screen Degreaser.  I used sugar soap, and given that my emulsion is chronically peeling off, someone on here suggested I use a different degreaser.  I'm now using "Mr M*scle GreasenGrime". Smells appropriately toxic. Anyone think that's not a good one?  I roughened up my new mesh with bicarb as well, to hopefully get a better stick too.  Or maybe my emulsion is bad.

Hopefully once I can get my images onto fabric oh bliss, I can then take them to market.  I make clothes and gee screenprinting is so value-added. My housemates and a few others have a loose little collective started up for selling crafts at market.  CERES and St Andy's.  Everyone I know wants in on the screenprinting altho they don't want the geekery aspect Wink.  Anyway, good luck for everyone.  AnnaLaura, I think yr designs are scrumptious by the way, I found you via the aussie_etsy myspace. Smiley  Does anyone on Etsy here sell in bricks'n'mortar shops too?

Well, off to expose yet another screen with test transparency.  Good luck me.  Oh yeah, my local expensive print shop gave me crap opacity on all my expensive transparencies, even two together isn't that great. And they don't line up *exactly*.  Anyone got a great shop they use for transparencies?  Or know a place for cheap positives (Jones Bros is $25/A4)? Or can recommend ink jet transparencies as being good? x
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006 08:51:29 AM by aliengrace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006 01:39:55 AM »

Wow aliengrace, thanks for your very comprehensive post! Wink

Do Jones Bros stock the Permaset range?  Or other paint ranges as well?  I really wan to find some lighter, paler colours but my local supplier where I've been getting my paint only has Permaset and the range is mostly dark shades, which tend to come out even darker than the samples after drying & heat-seating Sad

Am still yet to try emulsion.  Will let you know when I attempt it how I go!  Good luck with yours Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliengrace
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006 01:49:48 AM »

Wink verbosity is my middle name!  jones brothers has the Aquatex water-based range.  whole heap of other brands for solvent-based inks.  as far as I know, it's fine to mix different water-based ink brands.  at least i hope so, cos I've accumulated a mix.

*pulling out catalogue again*  hmm 36 basic colours for Aquatex in standard, opaque and puff, plus process (CMYK) colours.  also, they have 41 types of colour concentrates (a few ~ $17, most ~$30-$55, a few ~+$100, all 500grams) that you add to a base ($8.55 std $19 opaque 1kg).  i can't remember how far the concentrates go, but it's supposed to be pretty good value if you wanted to make a lot of ink in that colour, or do a lot of colour mixing, you create opaques by adding more concentrate.  you could buy a kg of white and mix it with your darker colours, or even get a white colour concentrate ($14.85).  i don't know the science of it.  this place also sells various additives to thicken, retard, fix to synthetics, etc all the arcane stuff.

now i feel i'm plugging the place  Lips sealed but good wholesale suppliers of any industry that will deal with the little fish aren't that many around, and these dudes seem to be okay.  i did a google to find them in a melb industry directory, i'm sure there are other places out there more proximate to the East.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006 05:09:59 AM »

This post is so brilliant, so much advise all in the one spot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006 08:04:17 PM »

However, I have the catalogue here too I picked up last week, and the cedar 30 x 41 screen is listed as being 39.80 + gst = 43.78 *edit* 43T = 36.20+gst = 39.82.  Which I think is a little expensive *edit* not as cheap as you'd expect for a wholesaler.   I got my smaller one in yellow mesh only for about 30 bucks from Deans Art, 25 x 30.  Yellow mesh costs a little more, gives slightly sharper images when exposed theoretically but take about 50 - 100% longer to expose.  I'd choose white ideally. 

I'm on holidays again now so that means back to trying to get screenprinting happening!  I just went to Deans Art yesterday (in the city) and realised that those screens really aren't too badly priced...  So perhaps my dilemmas of finding smaller, reasonably prced screens is over.  But I saw the yellow mesh and thought what the hell is going on there?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006 03:30:15 PM »

I've been doing screenprinting at school this year -- I'm a printmaking student, and although it was my least favourite printmaking method (which surprised me), I got really good results and can see how it will be very handy for a lot of things.

All our screens were supplied, but we had the place in Campbellfield recommended to us as a good place to buy things.  I also picked up a small screen from Melbourne Artists' Supplies on sale for about $20 marked down from over $50 (and with student discount on top of that) in October -- I'm not sure if they have any left, or if they're still on sale, but Melbourne Artists' Supplies is a great store to shop at anyway -- they're on Little LaTrobe St, which is opposite RMIT Storey Hall off Swanston St.

We used a water-based screenprinting process -- I can't remember the brand of the screenprinting products at the moment, but I think they were Scandanavian.  We used this clear retarder stuff supplied by uni, and we could mix pigments with it to create any colour -- most of us used acrylic paint, but I think you could add powder pigments as well.  If we'd just used paint, it would have dried too fast in the screen and blocked it -- the retarder helped slow the drying process down, and depending on the ratio you mixed of retarder and paint, also altered the transparency of the ink.  I did some photo emulsion, but I also painted a screen filler directly onto my screen for most of my work.  We did paper stencils in the first week, but the screen filler was definitely a better way to go -- easier, less time consuming, and longer lasting.  I got some really nice effects with this using a reduction method -- I painted on some screen filler (very thinly, so it wasn't too hard to remove when I was done), printed one colour, applied more filler to the screen, printed in another colour and so on.  These are the prints I did using that method, although the black was from a photo emulsion -- I painted directly onto transparent plastic with black paint, then exposed that onto my screen.

I'l try and remember the brand of products we used and post here when I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lixs
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006 04:23:52 PM »

I screenprint but I only have one screen... never tried the photo emulsion but would really love to. I never knew about that place in bayswater, Im stoked now! yay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006 05:40:34 PM »

I wish I hadn't read this thread!  Angry I can't afford to get addicted to another craft! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006 09:17:56 PM »

Screenprinting is pretty expensive to get set up for -- perhaps you could try it out using someone else's supplies to see if you like it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006 04:40:33 PM »

I remembered the brand of stuff we used at uni -- Lascaux.

Also, Melbourne Etching Supplies have some great sales on at the moment.  They're on St David St Fitzroy, just off Brunswick St.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007 03:11:26 AM »

I recently went to the Screenprinting supply shop in Bayswater.  I have there catalogue if anyone is interested.  I got litre tubs of permaflex. The black and white was about $24 and the colour was about $38.  I was previously getting mine from Deans, which was quite $$$ for only 300ml.

Does anyone know where to get plastic sheets to cut stencils from. I have not done it before with plastic. I was wanting something quite thin.  At the moment I am using cartridge, but it was really annoying using it with white because the ink is thicker and the paper stencil is ruined after I finish.  I'm right into printing white onto red at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007 11:33:25 PM »

I recently went to the Screenprinting supply shop in Bayswater.  I have there catalogue if anyone is interested.  I got litre tubs of permaflex. The black and white was about $24 and the colour was about $38.  I was previously getting mine from Deans, which was quite $$$ for only 300ml.
Is that the one I posted?  They never gave me a catalogue!?  Also I haven't heard of Permaflex?  Is that the brand of paint?  I thought they only sold Permaset there.  And if it is the place you're talking about, then yes go there for the paint.  I saw the litre tubs of Permaset for $25 or so at Melbourne Artist's Supplies and at the screenprinters' place they are only about $12.

Does anyone know where to get plastic sheets to cut stencils from. I have not done it before with plastic. I was wanting something quite thin.  At the moment I am using cartridge, but it was really annoying using it with white because the ink is thicker and the paper stencil is ruined after I finish.  I'm right into printing white onto red at the moment.
I just use acetate which I buy for $1 a sheet at Melbourne Artists' Supplies.  I think it's about A3 size or a bit bigger, and it's just the right size if I want to do a stencil utilising as much space as I can on my bigger screen.  With smaller simpler designs, I print them out on A4 paper and photocopy them onto acetate/overheads at uni - it's 70 cents a pop though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007 09:05:03 PM »

I'm an idiot, it is permaset not permaflex.  $12 for a litre is cheap, the place in Bayswater wasn't that cheap.  I saw the catalogues under the desk thing they had and asked for one.

I got some acetate,  but I'm wondering if it works okay, or does the ink get trapped underneath and spread and look crap from bleeding?

thanks for the advice!
Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007 10:38:57 PM »

Yeh I think at the place in Bayswater I'm talking about  - All Australian Screenprinting Supplies - they did pu tthe prices up on the paints after I started going there.  The standard paints were $12.60 last time I got any, but when I bought some cyan and glow pink they were more expensive, and supercover are more expensive again (I think getting up to $35 for 1 litre, still pretty good though!)

I have always used acetate and it has always worked fine for me.  I only have a little bleeding when I use a slightly drilled cotton fabric (which I use because it's the only decently priced fabric that is the right strength in the range of colours I want for my bags & pouches etc.), but that's because of the fabric, not the acetate, and only when I use a bit too much paint. 

I gues you can just try it out and see if it work for you!  Good luck and let us know how it goes Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007 12:20:02 AM »

I got the supercover stuff.  I got some normal black and it was not that great, really runny and just bleed like crazy.

I just tried a print with the acetate.  It was okay, at first I thought it was worse than what it was.

This is the acetate sheet:

This is an example of the worst print:

This is an example of the best print:

However if the acetate lasts for a lot of prints, then I'm happy.
I don't think the dots worked so well, I used these funny hole punch pens used in scrapbooking. They work well on paper, but the acetate didn't cut as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007 01:48:43 AM »

Thanks for sharing your pics - I love your design Wink

Yeh I use supercover of the white, but that's the only colour I've tried in the supercover, everything else is fine.  I have never found them too runny or bleeding to much, so I don't knwo what happened with yours :S  I hope it works out better next time.  I find the supercover can be hit and miss sometimes as it's much thicker - or at least mine is, I've had mine for ages and it might be time for a new supply Wink

How did you stick the acetate sheet to your screen?  I just masking tape mine, ensuring that it's as flat as can be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007 03:38:02 AM »

I just pur Sellotape on the screen. The screen I have is almost A3, and the acetate was almost that. 

Thanks for teh complement on the design!

The supercover is thick in the white but thats all.  The other ones are nowhere near as thick.
The black that wasn't super cover may have needed stirring, I could have ended up with some of the more liquidy top and not realised.

I love the super cover though, the white on black looks great, I was really impressed.  I love screen printing, I would love to get some nice proper ones done, we have some at the school I work in, so I might get some made up, but I am always surprised at the lovely detail paper can create, and the skill in cutting out the paper (and now acetate) is quite unique.

Thanks so much for the help bondgirl, where do you sell the stuff you make?  I have a stall coming up at Rose Street, but etsy is also proving to be a great place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007 10:13:30 PM »

Well I'm glad I could help out - I don't know if I did much though!  Once you get used to paints though I think it's all ok, but I still have trouble judging just how much I need for different prints on different fabrics.

Oh and I don't sell the stuff I make anywhere Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annalaura
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007 10:47:12 PM »

I'd love to see some of the stuff you do.  Also have a look at www.etsy.com for selling stuff. It isn't expensive to sell (20c US to list and they take 3.5% off the sale price) and it is easy to set up and maintain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007 08:59:37 PM »

Hi again everyone,

I was wondering, I am really wanting to try the emulsion process, like I think I have mentioned a few times, however the tutorials I have read say that you need to wash the non-set emulsion out afterwards with a pressurised hose, however, I thought that we weren't allowed to use these any more with the water restrictions?  I could be wrong, and I should check it out properly on the water website, but I was wondering if there are any other options that could be used inside?

Also, does anyone have any water-saving tips to help reduce how much you use for screenprinting?  I usually use a bit to wash my screen afterwards and I like to ensure that there's no paint left in it at all, but have cut down how much I fill the laundry trough up and try and use the same water if I'm doing more than one print in a day.  Also, do you think you can still use the regular hose to quickly squirt screens during the watering times, or can we only use the hose then for watering?

Anyway, hope that makes sense...  Just wondered what others are doing as there's no details about water saving for crafts on the water website Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007 11:53:46 PM »

The only thing I can see about high-pressure hoses on the water restrictions website is that you can't use them to wash your car.  Last year at uni, we were still using the high pressure hose to strip our screens.

I have this little thing I got from my dad, but I haven't used it yet -- it's a high-pressure squirter that hooks up to a little 3-litre tank thing instead of the tap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bond Girl
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007 05:29:16 PM »

Thanks for your reply crumpet!  So you think it's still ok to use them outside?  I mean if you can't have the hose on except for those hours you are designated by your street number I would have thought you can't use other kinds of hoses outside those times either Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crumpet
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007 12:17:38 AM »

I dunno.  Our high pressure hose at uni is inside, connected up to a trough.  Perhaps you should call the water people if yr concerned?

Upon further inspection of the thing I got from my dad's shed, it looks more like a pressure-driven portable sprayer thing than something with the power to strip a screen.  Damn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing Moorland Birds
Photographing Birds in Song
Attracting Birds to Your Garden
Setting up a Pond for Garden Bird Photography
How to Photograph Garden Birds
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...